NaPoWriMo: 22 and Getting Desperate

22 Apr

When I start looking thoughtfully at written poems and wondering how they might work if I revise them, I’m in trouble. I backtracked to a prompt Miz Q gave us earlier in the month. That day, naturally, I found three prompts I could write to.

The prompt is one of Miz Q’s ‘quickly, now’ adjuncts and asks us to find two words that can be used as either noun or verb; two words that can be noun or adjective. Write a long line using two of the words. Write a companion line with that pair in their other role. I got carried away. I found several pairs I wanted to play with. The poem doesn’t go anywhere, but I had a blast verbing and nouning, possibly adjectiving and adverbing.

Asleep she wore her sin like a wake trailing,
fear pulling her down, doubting
so that even her heart-ache became a doubt,
ached in ways that broke all rules.

Awake, she balanced need against aim,
a balance requiring she rule in favour
of sinning — love is such an ephemeral story,
his story, her story, no story.

She bared her soul, floated in the heated
cauldron of emotion, the heat of sin.

What’s the connection to today’s prompt, you ask? Bah! I’m so over that.

Posted by on 22/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: ,

26 responses to “NaPoWriMo: 22 and Getting Desperate

1. Carol Carlisle

22/04/2013 at 2:43 pm

Wow! It makes me think of The Book and Movie “Like Water for Chocolate” lot of heat and sin, Maybe you should always be desperate if you come up with Hot poems like that!!!!!

2. Yousei Hime

22/04/2013 at 2:44 pm

Desperation maybe, but I really like it.

22/04/2013 at 2:45 pm

It was a lot of fun, Yousei. I still have a list of all the words I want to play with!

3. Elizabeth

22/04/2013 at 3:03 pm

If there are enough of them, then you are ahead of the game and can relax a bit. Love your word playing and the hot results. Methinks this might be fun to do in pairs, lol.

Elizabeth

22/04/2013 at 4:04 pm

This would be great fun done in pairs! But then I think progressive poems of any sort are great fun!

m

4. Pamela

22/04/2013 at 4:01 pm

Love the poem, Margo. Nice verbing and nouning. I got a good laugh out of your comment at the end. Are you going rogue on us? I am struggling with trying to write something coherent today. Nothing is clicking in my brain at all.

22/04/2013 at 4:07 pm

Pamela, I think I might be. You can go rogue, too! Remember, there is always the cut up machine, or haiku [not to say haiku is that easy, but it is short!].

• Pamela

22/04/2013 at 4:24 pm

I just might join you. 🙂

5. viv blake

22/04/2013 at 4:24 pm

That was such a difficult prompt for me to work with, and you have pulled it off with aplomb.

I love your verbing and nouning!

22/04/2013 at 5:34 pm

I had help, ViV. I Googled nouns that verb [or some such] and there they all sat, pairs and pairs of them to choose from.

22/04/2013 at 4:42 pm

April Elves?

Rogues?
    They left
    The battle field –
    In heated passions did
    Love

Elfjes are quick too. Only 11 words. Doesn’t matter what you write, just that you do! So then this Elfje is for all that quake at the remaining daze in poetic frenzy. Fear No Art, Fear No Poetry! That is the ‘battle cry’.

With affection and affliction to the cause, to write – therefore to breath!

22/04/2013 at 5:34 pm

Grinning, Jules!

• julespaige

22/04/2013 at 6:03 pm

Always with you –
        I read smiling (OK maybe grins too)
        help one to live longer…
        It’s a service I unwittingly or wittingly provide.
        🙂

7. Marianne

22/04/2013 at 5:31 pm

WOW! Your poem sizzles across the page! That first line is spectacular.

8. jacquelinecaseypoetry

23/04/2013 at 8:33 am

Floating in the heat of emotion, I cast one, enormous giggle at your last statement…

9. jacquelinecaseypoetry

23/04/2013 at 8:38 am

Sorry! I am referring to your “bah! I’m so over that statement”…

23/04/2013 at 8:45 am

You say my tone is clear?! 😀

• jacquelinecaseypoetry

23/04/2013 at 9:44 am

I was laughing about and referring to your attitude about writing to a prompt. The point is: just write; right?

10. markwindham

23/04/2013 at 9:03 am

I would not say it went ‘nowhere’, there are several good lines in there. A strong building block to be sure.

If I post today, I am only behind by TWO! I can make that up…maybe.

23/04/2013 at 9:11 am

You’re right, Mark. I do need to note it for lines.

Sure you can. Come on! Rah Rah! [and if you post them on May 1st and 2nd, you’ve still done an incredible thing, yes?]

• markwindham

23/04/2013 at 9:35 am

Tis true. It has been an interesting month, writing wise. Probably half, or there-a-bouts of what I have posted has been unrelated to any of the prompts out there. Unusual for me, but I guess part of the expected evolution.

11. Mr. Walker

27/04/2013 at 12:04 pm

margo, fun play here. I can see all the words you’re playing with. So ripe. And, thanks for reminding me of this prompt. I must attempt this one as well.

acre dark whirl

27/04/2013 at 12:17 pm

Add it to your list, Richard. It was fun.

Yes, I am grinning. I’m glad you are enjoying all your names.

margo the plain