NaPoWriMo: Legal at 21

21 Apr

Are we there yet? No? I am at the point where I am trawling back through prompts I haven’t done to find ones I can manage. We’re all going to be crawling by the 30th, aren’t we?

The prompt is from Poets & Writers #19 where they tell us to Choose a poem that you’ve written and rewrite it in its reverse, making the last line the first, etc. Revise this version, creating a new poem. The poem is one from my early years with a lot of the images that I keep being tempted to put in poems and have to remind myself I have [in fact, a form of the poem was published in the ezine Long Story Short, back when it was not quite so glitzy]. I didn’t change the poem much. Help! I’m losing my ruthless edge!

Original:

Inclined to wander in my thoughts
I find I put myself behind dilemmas
opening tunnels to the minotaurs
fly-papered in my memories
stretching miles ahead labyrinthine.

And I twist and turn tangling
the sheets my thoughts
in an endless Moebius loop.

I will escape beyond,
flying paper dreams
like summer kites;
live this year, instead
a peddler of sun-washed crystal
just you reflected,

priceless

to fly free and dream dreams
forget about if only.

fly free.

Posted by on 21/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: ,

11 responses to “NaPoWriMo: Legal at 21

1. Stan Ski

21/04/2013 at 4:49 pm

‘Fly free’, ‘dream dreams’… With you all the way!

2. Quickly

21/04/2013 at 6:09 pm

I flit, I float, I fleetly flee, I fly

3. Elizabeth

22/04/2013 at 2:21 am

I like both, but the second one somehow really enhances the concept of fly free, in its form and it’s sound and rhythms, it almost dances down the page.

Elizabeth

22/04/2013 at 10:53 am

Thanks, Elizabeth. I like that I had a chance to prune it. Having this prompt and this approach helped.

m

4. jacquelinecaseypoetry

22/04/2013 at 10:52 am

I like the second version best. Not sure why. More ‘direct’.

22/04/2013 at 10:54 am

Thank you, Jacqueline. I agree with you. I think my ruthless pruning got rid of what was holding it down. It feels lighter.

22/04/2013 at 12:42 pm

Almost zen like the second version. A new mantra at least for the rest of this month? 🙂