NaPoWriMo: Twenty is Plenty

20 Apr

What do you mean ten more? Sigh. Okay.

Notice I am posting later and later? MmHmm. Today I play the We Write Poems card, now that we can post there any time. We are admonished: If you’re feeling serious, then play. If exhausted, let whimsy rule. Being genuinely silly, that counts for enough. Have fun! For fun I threw in NaPoWriMo‘s prompt which gives us a giant word list and says: Pick five. I wanted to be a sloth for WWP but NaPo did not have that on their list, hence, owl.

In the canopy of a sequoia
turquoise blue, elusive
against the sky,
the ghost of an owl
absconds with daylight,
squanders night.

Posted by on 20/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: ,

17 responses to “NaPoWriMo: Twenty is Plenty

1. Pamela

20/04/2013 at 6:23 pm

Ahh, Margo, you have written a lovely poem about my favourite bird.

21/04/2013 at 9:01 am

Owls have great mystery, don’t they. They belong to my favourite class of birds, the predators! I am torn between falcons and owls.

2. JulesPaige

20/04/2013 at 7:48 pm

Has the feel of a Native Peoples legend. Simple yet mysterious at the same time.

21/04/2013 at 9:02 am

Jules, I went back and looked at the poem and you are right. With the owl, the turquoise, the sky, even the sequoia it sounds like I am beginning a tale.

3. Carol Carlisle

20/04/2013 at 7:53 pm

abscond and squanders Wow great use of powerful words. I am quite fond of owls. Maybe I was one at some time.

21/04/2013 at 9:03 am

Nice, Carol. I think I may have been a falcon. I would have commanded the day sky and you the night!

4. viv blake

21/04/2013 at 3:31 am

Intriguing. I’m wondering if that ghost is turning the tables on his previous existence.

21/04/2013 at 9:04 am

Interesting thought, ViV. This is one of those if I had/if I hadn’t poems and I think I want to go back and see if there is more.

5. Sharp Little Pencil

21/04/2013 at 3:56 pm

I love owls. Went on an owl crawl with an expert in calling. One type of owl gathers in groups, chattering like monkeys! This was a peaceful poem, Margo; much appreciated after this week of tumult. Amy

21/04/2013 at 4:02 pm

Of all birds, I find them the most intriguing, Amy. I tend to do peace. Must be my age!

22/04/2013 at 5:10 pm

I finally got around to this…I’ve had the whole day to myself…
    you might enjoy (no rush) –

7. Yousei Hime

24/04/2013 at 1:36 pm

Love owls. Sequoia too. You picked all good stuff. “Squanders night.” In saying succinctly it says much, just the way I like things. I tried the prompt but in sonnet form. “Eyes bigger than stomach” keeps floating through my mind. 😉

24/04/2013 at 1:47 pm

Yousei, Anytime you feel this eyes bigger than urge, just contact me and I’ll talk you down. Sonnet, huh?… I’m back. So you did. Elizabethan, no less. Heroic woman!

• Yousei Hime

24/04/2013 at 1:50 pm

I’m still shaking from the trauma. Just kidding. It was fun. They do intimidate me though. I want mine to read smoothly and sensibly, with interest. I feel like the five year old reaching for the cookie jar on the top shelf of the pantry. I’m going to climb it. 😉

24/04/2013 at 1:57 pm

This would be why you have not seen a sonnet from me. I do, however, have a gauntlet thrown down by ViV. I owe her one sonnet. Mine, when it happens will be Italian, unrhymed, but metred as much as possible.

8. rosross