NaPoWriMo: Halfway There With 15

15 Apr

Miz Q suggests one of my favourite exercises: Play a piece of instrumental music. While listening, write the scene, story, images you hear. Craft a poem. There are a couple more steps in between so head over to read and to see what music people have chosen and the results.

My musical piece is John Whelan’s Hornpipes: Beautiful Blackwater, Maggie K’s

pulled for revision

Posted by on 15/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , ,

30 responses to “NaPoWriMo: Halfway There With 15

15/04/2013 at 1:38 pm

I’m right with you. Nicely crafted.
    I kept mine short too.
    I’m thinking I might actually get some yard work done today…

Then I’ll come back and read more folks.

15/04/2013 at 1:40 pm

The keeping up with the reading is what’s killing me. I have double as I also have the Pulitzer remix group. I am trying not to miss too many in either group.

• julespaige

15/04/2013 at 1:44 pm

Have you bought stock in any particular coffee company yet?
        I’m trying to formulate a system of keeping track of at least visiting those who visit me. It was working up until yesterday…But then Sunday is always a slower day. At least I do have a couple of hours free later this evening.

Good luck with staying sane!!! I can’t keep up with all the Wordlers, Friday Fictioneers, We Write Press People and Miz Q folks. Not to mention…a few others.

Please tell me there is only one National Poetry Month a year!!!

2. Stan Ski

15/04/2013 at 4:21 pm

The repetition at start and end works well with this prompt…

15/04/2013 at 5:32 pm

Thank you, Stan. I was hoping someone would say whether it works or not.

3. Carol Carlisle

15/04/2013 at 4:48 pm

Wonderfully suggestive imagery of the movement of water braiding our lives together!

15/04/2013 at 5:32 pm

All down to Joseph’s prompts, Carol!

4. viv blake

15/04/2013 at 4:58 pm

Love your calming poem. Yes, it’s keeping up with the reading that’s a problem. I try to do a few each couple of hours, but I find myself suffering from poetry over-supply leading to fatigue.

15/04/2013 at 5:33 pm

I know just what you mean, ViV.

5. Marianne

15/04/2013 at 5:26 pm

Gorgeous words, Margo, perfect accompaniment to that instrumental. Very soothing. Love the repetition of the first and last lines. I got all jazzed up listening to Walt’s choice. 🙂

15/04/2013 at 5:33 pm

😀 Walt’s choice does have that effect. It might wake me up. Hmmm!

6. Pamela

15/04/2013 at 6:01 pm

Margo, what a lovely poem. I also like the repetition of the first and last stanza.

16/04/2013 at 10:19 am

Thank you, Pamela :-). I feel soothed by it.

m

7. markwindham

15/04/2013 at 7:21 pm

liken’ this one, quite a bit actually. And I could use a lazy river.

16/04/2013 at 10:20 am

I have to admit, I do too. I think we could all use a lazy river, right now.

• markwindham

16/04/2013 at 10:31 am

yes. see my title from yesterday? pretty much sums it up.

16/04/2013 at 10:39 am

Hey! That’s my title for, um, next week some time. However, thank you for sending me there. I am just about up to that prompt. I may even save it if I am able to do something with Miz Q’s which seems doable for dead brains. I have stopped worrying about making sense in comments. I hate to think what the next level is given another 14 days!

• markwindham

16/04/2013 at 12:15 pm

I think ‘drivel’ is the word you searching for…

8. Quickly

15/04/2013 at 9:48 pm

Clever girl. I’m days behind on Joseph’s. And reading poems…ho. That’s a chuckle. But I’m hanging in there.

16/04/2013 at 10:22 am

Barbara, I said I got the bit from Joseph. i didn’t say I was keeping up. I see them and tag them and hope one day to do them [mm hmm]. The reading poems. Aiee! Between that and answering comments here and on the remix site, I meet myself coming and going.

9. rosross

15/04/2013 at 10:08 pm

This is lovely and a tribute to the music.

10. rosross

15/04/2013 at 10:20 pm

It occurred to me after I did this that the piano may not be considered instrumental but I offer it all the same.

16/04/2013 at 10:23 am

If it doesn’t have words and it makes music, it’s instrumental, in my book.

11. Elizabeth

15/04/2013 at 10:37 pm

Now this piece makes me want to find a porch somewhere on a river, put my feet up and just ‘be’ for a while. Love the frame of the first and last lines,

Elizabeth

16/04/2013 at 10:24 am

I needed this vision at this point in April, Elizabeth. Sounds like a good place to be.

12. eikenlaan

16/04/2013 at 4:55 am

Beautiful sounds in this poem…..I must try this later 🙂 Can it be any music? Maire

16/04/2013 at 10:26 am

Thank you, Maire.

Any music without words. You don’t want the words to distract from your inhabiting the music. I usually pick four or five different pieces and free write to each, picking the one I like the most to craft a poem. It’s a fun exercise 🙂

m