NaPoWriMo: Daybreak With 14

14 Apr

My mind has officially become jelly. I may do cut-ups for the next sixteen days. I’ll try not to, but no promises.

Poets & Writers has a geographical prompt today: Find a map—of the Earth, the United States, or your home state or city—or visit Google Maps, pick a town at random, and write a poem about daybreak in that specific location, inventing any pertinent details.

In my new spirit of getting a poem on here so long as it has a tenuous connection to some prompt, somewhere, the poem is about daybreak. That’s it. Oh, and then I cut it up, or the machine did. I tweaked.

pulled for revision

Until tomorrow. That’s me signing off, not part of the poem.

Posted by on 14/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: ,

20 responses to “NaPoWriMo: Daybreak With 14

14/04/2013 at 2:41 pm

Oh no! Not mush already. If you need a laugh visit my sonnet:

I think I made sonnet soup…well not really. Just put the coffee down first. 🙂

Keep tweaking. We sort of had a false spring before actual spring arrived. I came home from and errand and a neighbor pointed out a duck with at least 8 maybe even 10 ducklings following in a ling…too cute.

14/04/2013 at 2:47 pm

I hear rumours of more snow, Jules. Don’t put those coats away yet!

We saw ducklings today, as well! So cute.

2. viv blake

14/04/2013 at 3:26 pm

Margo, without your process notes, I’d have said the mush was well advanced. As it is, I’d really like to see the poem before you cut it up. There are some wonderful phrases, but to be brutal, it doesn’t flow. Am I allowed to say that?

14/04/2013 at 4:43 pm

Good heavens, ViV, of course! Hang on and I will grab the originals. These are four stones, already posted or I would have used them. I used the cutup because I don’t have time to think!

The sun glows,
      burns like a torch
      through the density
      of morning fog.

The early morning
      sky a robin’s egg
      blue except one
      easterly spot where
      a thicket lines the ridge.

Through a broken
      spot in the tree trunks
      blazes light like
      a fire in the woods.

In the moment
      between dark and light,
      a single cirrus cloud
      smudges a smoky streak
      across the sky
      above the ridgeline.

• viv blake

15/04/2013 at 2:41 am

I knew I was going to love the original, and I do. Thanks for letting me see it.

3. Madeleine Begun Kane

14/04/2013 at 5:07 pm

LOL! My mind’s been jelly for years!

14/04/2013 at 5:29 pm

Madeleine, that is oddly comforting :-D.

4. Pamela

14/04/2013 at 6:52 pm

I don’t know I happen to like the cut up version myself, Margo.

15/04/2013 at 6:53 am

I’m hunting lines, Pamela. I like it but I think it still needs work.

5. rosross

14/04/2013 at 9:08 pm

I like number two…. easier to read. But then I am a Virgo and into order.

15/04/2013 at 6:52 am

Interesting, Ros. I’ll have to see if my daughter is affected the same way.

6. Fragrant Liar

15/04/2013 at 12:10 am

My first foray. Into National Poetry Month, and its been a gas.

7. Carol Carlisle

15/04/2013 at 12:37 am

Great images…I’ve wanted to do a daybreak poem about my back yard but it is all bird sounds…still messing with the spelling of a jays call.
    The robins egg blue sky stays with me.