NaPoWriMo: Lucky Number 13

13 Apr

After all, I’m still here.

We have relatives visiting for the next three days, cherished ones so will be spending all the time in their company. I knew I was going to have to use shortcuts to stay in the game, such as a started poem.

Miz Q asks for a poem to do with luck, good or bad. I have had notes on climbing Everest, ever since I followed the Montana group that Brenda W shared with us a few months back. I had a blast following their Facebook accounts and jotted notes. The thing I was most aware of is the phenomenal amount of luck needed.

pulled for revision

Well, that was fun! See you tomorrow, if my luck holds :-D.

Posted by on 13/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , ,

12 responses to “NaPoWriMo: Lucky Number 13

1. viv blake

13/04/2013 at 10:48 am

A great started poem – it’s as though you were there!

13/04/2013 at 3:36 pm

I felt like I was, ViV. They did so well sharing their experience.

2. brenda w

13/04/2013 at 11:16 am

Margo, I read the poem before your notes…and it evoked that journey we followed together. Thank you for bringing it back to me so vividly. Fantastic write!

13/04/2013 at 3:36 pm

Brenda, it’s I who thank you. That is a highlight for me.

13/04/2013 at 1:17 pm

A lucky journey! I enjoyed the form your chose for this one.

4. Pamela

13/04/2013 at 1:22 pm

Hi Margo, I like this a lot. It does have the feel of you being there. I hope you have a wonderful visit with your family. I am having a hard time with this prompt, as my eldest dog looks like she won’t be with us much longer. She is just over 11 years old, and her back legs are going. Oh, damn, I am so sad about this.

p.s. sorry for posting all of this here.

13/04/2013 at 3:40 pm

That’s okay, Pamela. You’ve been with me the longest and you know people post all kinds of things only vaguely connected to poetry [because everything is connected with poetry]. In these last days, keep her close and write a portrait of her, as if you were painting her. Then allow yourself to start remembering things and jot them down for later. It helps.

5. Marianne

13/04/2013 at 2:09 pm

A fabulous response to the prompt, Margo, and I love the repetition of the refrain: “Heartbeat. Pulse. Breathing.” Very powerful.

13/04/2013 at 3:41 pm

Thank you, Marianne. I don’t remember what gave me the idea, but it was the diary entry of one of the college kids. Those three things were key.

6. rosross

13/04/2013 at 8:53 pm

Some things do require a level of luck as well as good management. Marriage for one and mountain climbing of course. πŸ™‚