NaPoWriMo: A Date With 8

08 Apr

Thank God, Miz Q has an acrostic today, or I’m not sure I’d have anything! I may play with an abecedarian in the background, but this is a second-cousin and, apparently, counts:

I note that

means trusting our
inner self, that
xenogogic-guide
inside every writer,
never
giving up.

I had several choices I liked for the x. I chose xenogogue guide, as the words that come to us, when writing, often come as strangers, at first. The other two words [and one different word, same meaning] intrigue me with their possibilities as metaphors.

xenagogue guide: someone who conducts strangers
xenoglossia: person’s knowledge of a language never studied
xenolalia: person’s knowledge of a language never studied
xenolith: fragment of extraneous rock embedded in magma or another rock

Personal choice: I don’t like highlighting the acrostic letters, but I don’t mind spelling them out!

I am Pulitzer Remixing.

Posted by on 08/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

15 responses to “NaPoWriMo: A Date With 8

1. Quickly

08/04/2013 at 11:28 am

I like your Remix poems. (don’t think I’ve left any comments though) Read one or two others. Laurie. Need to get around and read some of the others. I have trouble making erasures that don’t sound creepy. Same for Acrostics: if I go for regular line lengths, they turn into fortune cookies.

08/04/2013 at 11:36 am

Barbara, I don’t know what I’ll do when the month is over. I’ve been living with my characters and poems and the other remixers for over two months now!

Check out Joel Preston Smith who is remixing Momaday. Another strong writer is Melissa Carl. My third favourite is Dana Moran.

I can’t do an erasure to save my life. Note, my acrostic has no regular line lengths :-D.

2. Pamela

08/04/2013 at 11:56 am

Margo, I think you have shown us how to write a good acrostic here. I am not a big fan of acrostic as they sometimes come across (ha ha) clunky. Your poem is smooth and reads well. How you holding up going into week 2?

08/04/2013 at 12:01 pm

Pamela, thank you; my mentor opened my eyes as to what an acrostic can be and do. I’m not bad, just wisps of panic! I enjoy seeing you in my inbox each day.

08/04/2013 at 12:01 pm

A very clever write, Margo. I almost forgot about the form, which I hope you take as a compliment!

08/04/2013 at 12:15 pm

The highest of compliments, Misk.

4. Stan Ski

08/04/2013 at 1:38 pm

One week in, just 3 to go… no pressure!

08/04/2013 at 1:53 pm

Okay, that got a laugh. Thank you, Stan.

5. viv blake

08/04/2013 at 2:57 pm

I like the irony of only getting halfway through April, and understand your feelings entirely. But you ARE going to make it through to the last letter. And so am I, if it kills me!

08/04/2013 at 3:47 pm

Yes, ma’am! Alright, ViV: to the finish line together.

08/04/2013 at 3:05 pm

I shoulda asked for clarity…
    instead chaos ensued,
    but in the end I went from a to zed –
    I am perhaps a bit ‘touched’ in the head.

I think if we all make it through this month we should get a prize. Not expecting a Pulitzer though 🙂

Thanks for your visit. ‘Viva la revolution!’

7. Elizabeth

08/04/2013 at 7:51 pm

I understand the panic, the sense of pressure, been there, done that. What I don’t understand is why the hell I’m doing it again! Whew! Had to say it. Your poem flows and is a delight to read.

Elizabeth

8. Mr. Walker

10/04/2013 at 10:12 pm

Margo, this is not only a good acrostic, but a good poem. Nicely done! I’m glad I didn’t try an acrostic; mine would not have been as good as yours is.

Richard

10/04/2013 at 11:22 pm

Richard, thank you. I wasn’t good at first, but I had my mentor’s poem to show me what a long line acrostic can do. After that, trial and error.