NaPoWriMo: 5,6 Pick Up Sticks

06 Apr

This is written for Joseph’s Recursions 5 where he asks us to look at an obstacle and its relationship to two things on either side that, normally, go together.. My brain started as I read, so that while I read, the poem wrote itself. It was a little bizarre, especially as the brain took a tangent.

I have also mulched in Miz Q‘s direction to consider sound, so I played with internal rhyme. Not deliberately. Apparently I am beginning to auto-pilot that. When I went in to play, I noticed the brain was way ahead of me.

Lay the day’s images side by side, strips
of life, like ribbons unbraided — velvet,

lace, cotton, satin — slide your fingers
among them, hold life between fingertips

and crossing them under and over, weave
a bridge over obstacles that lie in the way.

Posted by on 06/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

17 responses to “NaPoWriMo: 5,6 Pick Up Sticks

1. Quickly

06/04/2013 at 10:40 am

I do like. Yum.
    (maybe replace “images” with a stronger note. Everything else is tactile and rich.)

06/04/2013 at 10:52 am

Yes. That word niggled from the start, Barbara. I’ll work on it.

2. viv blake

06/04/2013 at 10:56 am

I would lay the day’s thoughts, but I love the structure and path of this little poem.

06/04/2013 at 11:26 am

ViV, I don’t know where it’s going but I do know I want to go! I like ‘thoughts’ better than events or happenings, but still hanker after something closer to images of what has happened during the day. However, ‘thoughts’ is the alternative at the moment. Thank you.

3. Annette Mickelson

06/04/2013 at 12:26 pm

oooohh, Margo, this is lovely. Just lovely. The images, the sound… your brain did a good job off by itself. šŸ™‚

06/04/2013 at 12:28 pm

Thank you, Annette! Isn’t it wonderful what the brain can do?! Wish I could always depend on it, but I’ll take every now and then šŸ™‚

06/04/2013 at 4:13 pm

Nice. I envision the fates weaving. There are so many plays with the fabric of our lives…and the bridges connected by a patchwork quilt of fields and the comfort and feel of say an old bathrobe and warm slippers and maybe even the unlacing of a brides trousseau…

I played with the musical prompt at Miz Q’s here:

06/04/2013 at 6:43 pm

Bones?

07/04/2013 at 9:31 am

I’ll add it to the pile. Has interesting possibilities.

06/04/2013 at 8:20 pm

I love this, Margo!!! Your process is intriguing and I totally get the auto-pilot sound play part…it’s amazing what our minds will do if we get out of the way eh!?

“strips
    of life, like ribbons unbraided ā€” velvet,”

I have to admit…I was about to copy/paste your whole poem here…it IS that good. šŸ™‚

7. Pamela

06/04/2013 at 8:41 pm

Pretty, Margo, I wouldn’t change a thing.

8. pmwanken

07/04/2013 at 12:07 pm

I like this, margo…and don’t ya just love when a poem comes together while your brain is on auto pilot? Those are the poems that were meant to be. (And..”Ma”PoWriMo??) šŸ˜‰

07/04/2013 at 12:18 pm

I do, indeed. And thank you for pointing out the typo!

9. Mr. Walker

10/04/2013 at 10:18 pm

A bridge of images that are also fabrics. Only in poetry can this be done. Lovely, Margo, just lovely.

Richard

10/04/2013 at 11:27 pm

Thank you so much, Richard. This is one I want to come back to. And, now, sir, you are caught up! It is a crazy month, isn’t it?!