NaPoWriMo: Four Knocking at the Door

04 Apr

I tell you what — this month requires great dexterity of brain. I post my poem for the Pulitzer Remix challenge and go to put on laundry; then, I remember I need to post the link in Facebook and Twitter. I post Your Poetics Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts, a reblog [Hmm. I need to look at that again. What did they title the post?], and go away to make the bed; then, I remember I have to post my poems for today for NaPoWriMo. I read a bunch of poems by fellow writers; then, I remember I need to write another poem. Does it never stop!?

I was again caught by two prompts, the first from Joseph at Recursions and the second from Poets & Writers. In a moment of startling clarity, I realised I can use one of them for tomorrow, should I come up dry. She’s always thinking, isn’t she? Just amazing, sometimes.

Today, Joseph’s prompt which sends us panning for gold in other writers’ poems. It’s cento time!

withdrawn for editing

See you tomorrow. Happy writing.

Posted by on 04/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

26 responses to “NaPoWriMo: Four Knocking at the Door

04/04/2013 at 11:19 am

An amazing list of poets. I like how you put them together.

04/04/2013 at 11:23 am

Thanks, Jules. I rather like the effect, myself.

I’m waiting to hear from Chris about the email address, but meanwhile just copy paste the gmail one, as that’s the one he says he wants.

• julespaige

04/04/2013 at 11:48 am

I tried two versions of his gmail address, one with an @ where his first . is and the other without the ‘at’, neither worked.

04/04/2013 at 11:53 am

Okay. I’ll get back to you, as soon as I hear from him, Jules.

2. margo roby

04/04/2013 at 1:30 pm

EVERYONE: Okay. Chris has wrestled down whatever needed to be wrestled. Don’t click on the link unless you have an Outlook account. I typed in thisfragiletent@gmail.com and sent two testing emails. they zipped.

Jules, want to be our guinea pig and try one more time?

m

3. Pamela

04/04/2013 at 1:55 pm

Hi Margo, I love what you did here. I have a question for you. When writing a cento is it allowed to use prepositions, articles, etc? Or do all the lines have to connect in pure form?

04/04/2013 at 2:19 pm

Thank you, Pamela!

For those reading comments, I am not ignoring Pamela’s question. We ended up on Facebook.

• julespaige

04/04/2013 at 4:45 pm

I’m not going through outlook, I’m going through gmail…I’ll try again…

(But it would be good to know the answer to Pamela’s question…for those of us not on facebook…)

04/04/2013 at 4:50 pm

Well it didn’t bounce back. So I’ll just have to wait on a reply…
    Thank you Madam Promptress.

04/04/2013 at 4:57 pm

Good heavens this is powerful : ” a pale soul fluttering in rocky hell, sucked through cracks in the earth.” I rather enjoy found poetry, as it turns out. Surprise, surprise.

04/04/2013 at 5:02 pm

Misk, if I thought I could get regularly published, I would spend a lot more time playing with the found stuff. I LOVE writing centos. In case you had not noticed.

6. markwindham

04/04/2013 at 7:19 pm

not sure I have it in me to write these yet, I can pull a line and build on it, but not build solely from another’s words. Your good at it, probably for the same reason you are good at moving the elements of a poem around into a better place. Really like the middle stanza.

05/04/2013 at 7:23 am

Tell you what. Here’s how I go about it. Find your source. Go through, not thinking about a poem, and pull the lines you like. Isolate them from everything, like author’s names [which I save in a separate file], so you have only lines, double-spaced, and start shifting them around. I’ll usually discard a couple and sometimes go looking deliberately for something.

7. David J. Bauman

05/04/2013 at 1:53 am

Amazing! I did this prompt yesterday without being prompted, or rather by departing from the rules of a slightly different prompt at NaPoWriMo.net. I was only supposed to use ONE line from another poet, and instead, the whole poem was stolen lines. I did allow myself to drop a few words here and there to keep the sense going, but I kept the majority of it as is and grammatically unaltered. It was fun and even surprised me how it turned out.
    And dang, I didn’t even make the bed. :-/

05/04/2013 at 7:17 am

David! Good to see you. I know the prompt you are describing. You’ll see the poem resulting from that, today. Of course, even there I didn’t follow the rules.
      I now make the bed first thing. Other things get forgotten…

• David J. Bauman

05/04/2013 at 1:13 pm

I look forward to it. The poem, not the bed-making. And rules, well, they just get you started, don’t they?

05/04/2013 at 1:17 pm

I love that description of the role of rules. I’m stealing it.

• David J. Bauman

05/04/2013 at 1:19 pm

It just came to me on the spot. I somehow knew you would like it, and you partly inspired it. I liked it too as soon as it came out. 🙂 Steal away.

8. David J. Bauman

05/04/2013 at 1:55 am

Oh! And I forgot to say I really like this creation of your own thievery. Very nicely done, and I love the placement of “why not believe that seeing illuminates.” Interesting the night and flight themes different poets are using. . . something up in the poetic collective subconscious? 🙂

05/04/2013 at 7:20 am

Hullo again. Thank you. I like your theory, ‘poetic collective subconscious’. The brain is a wondrous thing. I wouldn’t say nay to the possibility.

9. Yousei Hime

25/04/2013 at 9:57 am

I’ll join a cento club if you form one. When I can make one work smoothly, I grin all day. Having said that, I posted one today (working my way thru the Recursions). Take a peak when you are inclined.

25/04/2013 at 10:25 am

As soon as centos become mainstream for journals, I’m there!