NaPoWriMo: On Day 3, 2

03 Apr

I have a poem in response to Poets & Writers’ Day 3 prompt and one in response to Joseph Harker’s Day 2 prompt.

Joseph, in Day 2 of his Recursions, asks us to take an object (something from around us) and to keep the number of aspects you ought to consider to a manageable four: form, function, origin, and symbolism. We are to come up with a series of questions based on these four aspects and try to answer at least three of those questions in the poem, without letting us see the process that created them.

My object was a pair of scissors. My mind leapt more than usual:

The kite glides on outstretched
wings, looking for prey, balancing
on thermals with swallowtail
blades — scissors through the sky.

Poets & Writers asks us to: Transcribe the text of a sign that you encounter. Write maintaining the tone—imperative, advisory, declarative, etc.—of the sign.

Go THIS way
(3:00 PM -- 7:00 PM
MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY)
EXCEPT ON HOLIDAYS

HOWEVER

DO NOT
ENTER
(6:00 AM -- 10:15 AM
MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY)
EXCEPT ON HOLIDAYS

NOTE

All OTHER Times
Go THAT way

The poem doesn’t quite look the way I have it originally, but I can never hold onto how to take screenshots, so this will have to do.

Anyone else exhausted already!?

Posted by on 03/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

13 responses to “NaPoWriMo: On Day 3, 2

03/04/2013 at 9:21 am

I really like that kite piece. Nice.

Signs can be a bit awkward. They try to say the most in the least amount of word and then seem to fail as they flail. Instead of Do Not Enter, Closed would do. Or How about in the positive? Like Please use other door.

Eyes might be rolling backwards, but the head isn’t spinning in complete circles yet 🙂
    You get 4 brownie points for three in a row!!! You are on a roll!! Keep it up – the more you write the easier it gets…doesn’t it?

I was sitting on this shadow perspective for WWP all week…

03/04/2013 at 9:23 am

Easier? Mmmm. Ask again in a few days, Jules :-D. But, there is definitely a mind set needed and a rhythm to get into.

03/04/2013 at 10:09 am

Love this kite piece. Such a nice compact poem. Well done.

03/04/2013 at 11:29 am

Compact may be the only way I get through this!

3. Pamela

03/04/2013 at 10:57 am

I echo Jules and Misky, the kite poem is beautiful. I love the conciseness of it. You are on a roll woman! I am off to decide on a photo over at Miz Quickly’s place 🙂

03/04/2013 at 11:29 am

Thank you, Pamela, and I’ll visit later!

4. Carol Carlisle

03/04/2013 at 12:34 pm

Margo you transcended or flew above and beyond yourself with the kite poem!If I could I would click like twice for you today..
    I went to my phone for an object http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/poetry-day-3/
    rather silly I do believe!

03/04/2013 at 12:36 pm

Carol, thank you. I think my brain is so pumped with adrenaline right now that it’s venturing into unknown places :-D.

5. Annette Mickelson

03/04/2013 at 1:29 pm

I like your scissors flight. Very imaginative use of the object! I’m trying to participate in the poem a day thing – hoping it gets me back into the poetry writing grove.

03/04/2013 at 1:46 pm

I hope it does, too, Annette. I have missed seeing you. I’m making my way slowly back to the writing, myself.

6. markwindham

03/04/2013 at 2:49 pm

To quote Gimli from Lord of the Rings: “That still just counts as one!” Day, that is. The sign one is very cool. Back to your serendipity saying…without having seen any of the prompts I was trying to put a pome together from signs on the way to a meeting this morning, but more along the lines of
    “I met Wendy on a Crystal Subway…”
    Way too many fast food joints out there. 🙂

I like ‘scissors the sky’ too.

03/04/2013 at 2:51 pm

Serendipity. You want serendipity? I just left a comment on your site while you were leaving one on mine.