NaPoWriMo: Two in a Row

02 Apr

This is the furthest I have made it. Whoo hoo! I don’t know how y’all do this every year. I mean, a poem a day?

Hello, everyone. You will have noticed I am not opening as usual, although I am listening to Joy to the World by Three Dog Night and I note the time is two hours later than I usually post, but there was this poem I had to write.

It occurred to me somewhere in the middle of the night that to give you a prompt during this month would be like carrying the proverbial coals to Newcastle. The last thing you need is MORE prompts. So, on April’s Tuesdays, I’ll post reminder links and, if I am lucky, a poem. This also saves your inbox which will already get two posts from me on Thursdays and Fridays, during April — I remain highly optimistic.

Today’s prompt is from Poets & Writers which asks for an ekphrastic poem. I chose Edvard Munch’s The Scream because that is the first painting I saw when arriving at MoMA’s site.

pulled for revision

It’s rough, but for poem a day, I’m not sure what else it can be! Always feel free to make comments and suggestions, should they appear in your thoughts as you read a poem.

Reminder links: Other sites. The next poem in the Pulitzer Remix challenge.

I’ll see you Thursday for a couple of links; Friday for the roundup; and next Tuesday for another poem and chit-chat.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 02/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

14 responses to “NaPoWriMo: Two in a Row

1. viv blake

02/04/2013 at 11:22 am

very descriptive. I dislike that painting intensely!

02/04/2013 at 11:51 am

I’d like to see the painting in the flesh, out of curiosity. Some things affect differently in person. I do love my inflatable Scream doll. Now, that’s funny.

02/04/2013 at 12:10 pm

I’m with Viv. I am always extremely unsettled by that painting. Scares me to bits.

02/04/2013 at 1:04 pm

Also, a keyring. I have the scream person on a keyring :-D. But, yes, the painting is disturbing. Unsettling’s a good word for it.

3. Pamela

02/04/2013 at 1:05 pm

I agree that painting is unsettling, but you do well in describing it, Margo. Two poems in a row, how wonderful! I am right now am trying to wrap my brain around Miz Quickly’s prompt… da-DUM, da-DUM! I going over to read your found poem now.

Have a nice day!

02/04/2013 at 1:10 pm

Yikes! Pamela, my poem is from the Poets & Writers prompt. I took one look at the dreaded da-DUM and ran. On the other hand, if I accidentally iamb-ed it, let me know ;-D.

By the way, I am posting my links at We Write Poems. they have a site just for this month for people to leave their links. I will, for Barbara’s, if I do them, also post links there.

4. Elizabeth

02/04/2013 at 2:02 pm

Yes, the painting is unsettling, as it was meant to be. My first awareness of it was when an incest victim showed it to me and said, “It’s mindblowing to know that someone can express my entire life in a few strokes of paint.” We went on to form an abiding and healing relationship, so the painting has very deep soul strings attached to it, for me. And I love how you described that Scream with a volcano erupting, painting real life in all of its sordid colors. Thank you, Margo and I so hope you continue this poem a day. It might make you erupt, like a volcano, but it is both mindblowing and soul healing when completed. Which only means we must truly stretch when we scream.

Elizabeth

08/04/2013 at 11:56 am

Do you suppose the mention of ‘incest’ sent this into spam? I’m glad I was able to rescue it.

I’m still here, Elizabeth! The scream is thinking about starting, but it’s down in my toenails, at the moment.

5. markwindham

02/04/2013 at 2:29 pm

I like the power words in the first stanza; detonation, reverberations, concussive. never been a fan of the painting either, but in my current state of frenzy it is beginning to grow on me. 🙂

Two for me too! Quite pleased with myself. Even did revision last night and submitted a few. The rest of the week…sheesh!

02/04/2013 at 2:35 pm

Exactly! The painting does express certain feelings so much better than I could ever describe them. I wasn’t kidding about the inflatable scream doll I have. It’s useful for when I have had one of those days. When Skip enters the door, I hold it up and he knows ;-).

Are you posting? Yeh, yeh, I know: I could come look. I could indeed.

• markwindham

02/04/2013 at 2:40 pm

they are making it to my site anyway…not really posting them to any of the prompt sites. The first one was actually not to a prompt, and the second was merely following your lead. 😉

02/04/2013 at 2:44 pm

I wasn’t posting links but, as you say, people appeared. However, WWP offers a clearing house, where we can leave any links, instead of going back to each prompt site. So, I may try that. I am liking Poets & Writers and they have the entire month up. Their prompts are a little complex, some of them, but I realised they are expecting people to work beyond single days.

02/04/2013 at 6:15 pm

You describe eruptions well. Ether earthly or unearthly as in scared witless screaming.
    I’ve yet to pop over to WWP to see how their linking thingy works. I have a piece from their last prompt…That I’ll post tomorrow as well, over there. Unless they have a different space for it.

I don’t think I followed da-dums either but I got three verses to ‘sway’ for Miz Q’s prompt today: