NaPoWriMo: One Poem Down

01 Apr

Hullo! Surprise!

Through April you will have a number of these, possibly. I have never managed a poem a day before and may not, now, but if I even manage a couple, you’ll know. The poems below are a combination of Miz Quickly’s warm-up about anger, a couple of days ago, and today’s prompt.

My seven words [second poem]: purse, hide, collected, drawn, wrinkle, sack, swell. All came from the etymology page for purse. I like how this works.

pulled for revision

Where I am living during April: The Pulitzer Remix site.

Posted by on 01/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , ,

24 responses to “NaPoWriMo: One Poem Down

1. Carol Carlisle

01/04/2013 at 12:26 pm

good luck in the pursuit of poetry, great start. May you continue to scatter the seeds of creativity.

01/04/2013 at 12:38 pm

Thank you, Carol! I have just been taking a look at how many times I can appear in people’s inboxes this month.

2. Doug

01/04/2013 at 12:51 pm

Wow …that’s a nail it last line.

regards,

01/04/2013 at 1:42 pm

Thank you, Doug. I appreciate that. It was one of those ‘come at the last moment’ lines.

01/04/2013 at 1:01 pm

Great minds once again on the similar track but take different routes!

The ‘purse’uit’ of happieness… The might acorn was once a nut (a different seed).
    So much for a relaxing month…see my eyes cross!

Google messed with the e-mail again and I don’t know where to find my googly eyes.
    I’ll live.

Maybe I need coffee….

01/04/2013 at 1:42 pm

We always need coffee, Jules :-).

01/04/2013 at 1:02 pm

Oh, I meant to say anger can be an unconscionable itch. I had hives once. And that was once to many!

01/04/2013 at 1:43 pm

Me too! I was 15 and we think it was peaches. If it happens again I’ll stick a fork in myself. Talk about misery.

5. Elizabeth

01/04/2013 at 1:13 pm

Really like this Margo, especially that second piece, I know that state of being well. Glad to see you here and will hope you manage more than just a few,

Elizabeth

08/04/2013 at 11:59 am

Another spam rescue. Can’t imagine what sent this into exile. Late, but thank you, nevertheless.

6. brenda w

01/04/2013 at 1:43 pm

The growing anxiety of the first stanza is palpable, Margo. Then you revisit it in another guise. A worthy exploration of the prompt.

01/04/2013 at 1:45 pm

Thank you, Brenda. I experienced the first one three years ago. Never again I hope, but it’s useful for poems!

• Quickly

01/04/2013 at 3:17 pm

Nicely paired. I got so busy trying to get things set up that I haven’t done the anger one yet. I suspect it’ll come in handy before the month is out.

7. Pamela

01/04/2013 at 4:07 pm

Two excellent poems, Margo. I am so happy to see you joining us for the first day.

02/04/2013 at 7:31 am

Thank you, Pamela! Now I’ll try for two days :-).

8. viv blake

01/04/2013 at 6:11 pm

I like your (fictitious I hope) anger poem. Mz Quickly’s warm-ups have been great.

Because I have family staying and they keep appropriating my computer, I haven’t had a chance to read others’ Napo contributions yet. I did manage my poem of the day, using the One Single Impression prompt, curtains.
    I am tucked up in bed, exhausted, and looking for a prompt for tomorrow!

02/04/2013 at 7:30 am

I like curtains. Has so many possibilities. I also like that I am going to try writing a poem a day. Does everyone post everyday during this month, or just write every day?

I hope you slept well and are raring to go. I’m just up and heading over to Barbara’s.

9. markwindham

02/04/2013 at 9:35 am

starting with a bang ain’t ‘cha. I like it. Everything about the second, most everything about the first;

‘Terror-born anger
    grows from her stomach’ ??

enhances the ‘o’

my 2 cents fro the day. 🙂 back to work, hoping for a poem to be found in #s and $s.

Listening to my new favorite: Joe Bonamassa, live and acoustic from the Vienna opera house. The only failing of my life…no (repeat, NO!) musical talent. But I do love to listen.

02/04/2013 at 9:45 am

You might get two of these. I had one disappear as I made the 2 cents changes. I added a comma after terror-born. I might remove it later.

Snap. I love listening to music but as far as anything else, nada. Although at the age of 38 I discovered I could sing. A story for another time!

• markwindham

02/04/2013 at 9:55 am

comma definitely worth consideration, works well, and differently, with and without.

10. Mr. Walker

03/04/2013 at 1:30 am

margo, you swing a mean purse. I like what you did with all those “purse” words – and where you began, that anger that comes after fear.

Richard

03/04/2013 at 7:58 am

Why, thank you, Richard. It’s a great exercise that may become a prompt. When I looked up the etymology of purse, I never left the page for the other words. As for that anger (an emotion pretty foreign to me), it surprised me when it happened, so I have never forgotten.