NaPoWriMo: Your Poetics Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts

28 Mar

listening to Four Strong Winds by Janis and Ian

Hullo! It’s nearly the weekend. Yay! I hope all is well as we contemplate the arrival of a month when many of us take on one or more challenges calculated to drive us over the cliff like a herd of bison. How’s that for a simile?! I am going to give you the links to a few of the places, so you have options. Remember that the objective is a poem a day, not a poem a day from xyz, unless that’s part of your objective, in which case, have on.

What is the month? new people ask. April = National Poetry Month, an entire month to go even more nuts about writing poems than we already do. Check your city. You will be surprised how many have activities. When I did this for Atlanta, last year, I was startled at the pages, yes pages, of events scheduled. Apparently we are a hotbed of poetry. The Net centre of it all can be found at NaPoWriMo.

I have six places for you to play. Some of them are already into the festivities, some won’t show a hair until Monday, April 1. If you see several prompts you like but only have the time and energy for one a day, do remember that you can copy and paste, or bookmark the exercises. I have files … well let’s just say I have files. I’m sure I will get to them some day.

1] I love this first by Poets & Writers because they have all thirty prompts listed. You can pre-schedule!

2] Probably the most well-known amongst us is Robert Lee Brewer’s Poem a Day Challenge. If you have followed Robert at all, you know the style of prompts.

3] A new entrant who, judging by her warm-ups — You heard me, warmups. Who doesn’t stretch before exercising? — will be fun to follow, is Barbara Young with Miz Quickly. Head over now to see what’s on offer already.

4] Joseph has thrown his hat in the ring. [This is going to be such fun, gang.] His prompts will be found under a tab named Recursions. For now, you have the general URL so you can meet him there on the first day.

5] The fifth is Tiffany Chaney [She is a staff writer and columnist for Camel City Dispatch, art editor for Thrush Press and editor of Recto Verso Review.] who has the first five prompts listed, so you will have an idea of her style of prompts.

6] I love Adele Kenny‘s prompts and when I checked [because my brain told me to] I noticed she is participating so make note and be sure to visit, come Monday.

7] This last is where I am playing and have been playing for almost six weeks now. Your own play can only be in the form of cherished reader, but I hope you will visit throughout the month to see how we’re doing. The Found Poetry Review invited 85 of us to take part in the Pulitzer Remix Challenge, whereby we have each chosen a winner of the Fiction Prize as our source text. Each day in April all 85 of us will post a poem found in our texts. We each have a page over at the official Remix site — the organising of this boggles the mind — and once we go public I’ll post links. Other names you might recognise: Sharon Ingragam, Laurie Kolp, and S. Jane Sloat. My text? The Shipping News by Annie Proulx.

Enjoy your explorations which can start with several of the sites, now!

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 28/03/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

22 responses to “NaPoWriMo: Your Poetics Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts

28/03/2013 at 9:59 am

Well Ma’am I tried to log in at Writers Digest, but they said I had to accept ‘cookies’ and I don’t and won’t do that. Guess I won’t be going back there anytime too soon. The log in prompt said my name was invalid. Boo hoo. I’ll live. But I did use their prompt so I thought you might like to see it.

28/03/2013 at 10:50 am

I had the same problem with them. Fortunately, I do not have your fear of cookies so, when I got the invalid name problem figured out, I was in. However, it is cumbersome so I tend not to visit. It used to be easy. Then Writer’s Digest made Robert put his blog on their site.

• julespaige

28/03/2013 at 11:21 am

Maybe he can start a separate site? But that might be cumbersome for him.
        Thanks for being a constant long enough to pick up nuances (I’m surprise I actually spelled that right the first time…or if I didn’t spell check didn’t kick in).
        I got some “interesting” feed back on this piece for Friday Fictioneers:

I’m having fun now too with short fiction pieces. Change is the only constant.
        Maybe I’ll check out Joseph’s site again. And if it isn’t too complex …

Looking forward to Miz Q’s but she hasn’t posted any more warm ups. And I’m can’t leave a comment on her April Calendar to ask what’s up with that? Maybe if I clicked on a particular day? I haven’t tried that yet. I’m not into complex and sites that have 47 things going on at once is a bit frustrating.

28/03/2013 at 11:26 am

He had a separate site and very successful it was. Then they told him they wanted it directly under their umbrella…

I don’t think Joseph’s daily prompts will be too complex, just because they are daily, but they should be different, because he’s Joseph :-).

‘Maybe if I clicked on a particular day? I haven’t tried that yet. I’m not into complex and sites’ — I hate to break this to you, but all sites are like that. If you want to access anything other than the present day and you don’t have a specific link, then you have to click on the posting you want in order to make comments. Go on, Jules. Stretch those tech cells. I had to learn how to put a header picture in place, this week, for the found poetry thing.

• barbara_

28/03/2013 at 12:52 pm

Sorry, Jules. I started changing things around and haven’t gotten everything back in order. woeful.

2. Joseph Harker

28/03/2013 at 10:20 am

Thanks for the tip!

I meant to ask how you got involved in that Pulitzer thing, because I stumbled across it and thought it sounded wonderful. (Plus, “The Shipping News” is excellent.) Looking forward to see what comes out of it, though I hope you won’t be too busy to come by for a Recursion or two. 🙂 How do you find these cool little opportunities? Is it because you have your finger on the poetic pulse of the blogosphere, more than most?

28/03/2013 at 10:29 am

Joseph, you would have reveled. I think I will probably do a short [you laughed — I heard you] post on the experience.
      Of course I’ll be by! I might even write and post a poem! The finger on the pulse bit is part of it. I hadn’t thought of it before, but I am deliberately open to things and a noticing, curious individual, so i follow a lot of things to see what appears. With the Found Poetry Review challenge, the editor, Jenni B. Baker, invited writers who had been published in the Review. I’m getting opening night jitters 😀

• Joseph Harker

28/03/2013 at 10:33 am

Well, I am way jealous. (Especially of the people that have Oscar Wao, Middlesex, Kavalier + Clay, and The Hours.) Maybe if I submit a poem and try to get accepted at some point, next year they’ll have a Nobel or Booker Prize challenge and I can hop on that one. 😉

28/03/2013 at 10:44 am

I figure the opportunities to read what is going to come out of these novels will keep many of us entertained for quite a while. Submit, already. I did a cento of Neruda lines from about eight poems. I even did it in form, with a cascade. I am hoping against hope they have plans to do something next year!

3. markwindham

28/03/2013 at 4:15 pm

Well…I am not sleeping much anyway…why not check out a few more prompt sites…

28/03/2013 at 4:17 pm

Exactly, but why aren’t you sleeping?

• markwindham

28/03/2013 at 9:07 pm

the back thing refuses to go away…seeing a very evil woman that is doing deep tissue massage. Hurts like a SOB, but seems to be helping, just cannot not lay down without my hand going numb, same thing happens sitting at the computer, along with some radiating pain down the arm. makes for a fun work day. Well, that got rather longish and pitiful. Anyway, nights are on the couch, sitting up and trying to doze off. Seeing some improvement in mobility though, and the pain is less, numbness a pain in the rear though.

29/03/2013 at 8:59 am

Oy! Is there a reason you have not gone to the doctor? Tell me you have insurance. Numbness is not, I repeat not, a good thing. Something is being pinched and at the extreme yours is, it doesn’t usually go away by itself. Heating pad, yes? Also, those wonderful flat heat patches, as big as you can get. If nothing else the heat feels good. Do give yourself a deadline on the numbness.

• markwindham

29/03/2013 at 9:48 am

it is definitely a pinched nerve and my muscles are so clenched up that the chiro doc cannot get anything to adjust, hence the evil massage girl. The numbness is a positional thing; lying down and when my arm is in certain positions, like typing. seems a little better today, sore but actually got a little sleep last night.

29/03/2013 at 9:58 am

Good. This seems an obvious thing and it’s small, but run the clench unclench routine from toes to face, deliberately clenching and unclenching every single one of your muscles. Part of the pain of a pinched anything is the brain telling you it is painful. The EML can work with her hands; you can work with your brain and call its bluff.

4. Sahm King

29/03/2013 at 9:05 pm

Reblogged this on The Arkside of Thought.

5. siggiofmaine

07/04/2013 at 12:49 pm

I love poetry month
    and
    I love Robert Lee Brewer’s prompts…
    BUT
    somehow, the first year I tried to log in…register, I made an error,
    and each poetry month after, I have tried again.

Yesterday I tried again…to no avail. I have emailed Robert in the past,
    don’t know where to turn…
    the space has told me I don’t exist, I don’t have a blog or a password,
    or the pass word is invalid.

Getting old is chicken poop and this is getting old just like me !

Any ideas?

07/04/2013 at 2:21 pm

Siggi, What I want to know is how come everyone doesn’t have this problem? Why only a chosen few? I know I had the problem initially, but his prompts don’t work for me so I haven’t been back. Let me see if I can figure out what I did to get past the problem, because I do like Robert’s form prompts.

Odd. I went over with the URL I gave and noted I wasn’t signed in [that is always a problem, getting signed in]. Out of curiosity, I clicked on the ‘read more’ under today’s prompt and was taken to it. So do me a favour. Hold your breath and try that. Let me know one way or another.