Tuesday Poem Tryouts: The Title Says

26 Mar

listening to Gordon Lightfoot singing Pride of Man

Whoa! I don’t know about you, but I was startled when I opened my blog this morning and there was a whole new look. I realise I made the change, but it is still startling. Hi everyone. I hope all is well. Today is our image prompt and I have had fun deciding on a theme. This may be one of those prompts where my explanation is inarticulate, in which case do what you think I’m suggesting, or ask for clarification. Don’t worry, I’m used to it. Images first, then talk. All images come from the Facebook group I Require Art.

Klee: Strong Dream

Klee: Strong Dream

courbet ira

Courbet: Desperate Man

Dali: The Angelus

Dali: The Angelus

I don’t include titles with images, because I don’t like titles to send you in any particular direction. In this case, though, that’s the point. Without reference to the painting you choose, compose a poem that does one of two things. Either include the title somewhere in your poem; or, looking at the definitions, write a poem that is about, but doesn’t refer to the words in the title.

Angelus
A devotional prayer at morning, noon, and night to commemorate the Annunciation.
A bell rung as a call to recite this prayer.

This painting has a lot going on. You might, before you even deal with it, list everything you see. Start at the bottom left corner and work your way across and up. I did this and I am still spotting details.

Desperate
Having lost all hope; despairing.
Marked by, arising from, or showing despair.
Reckless or violent because of despair.
Undertaken out of extreme urgency or as a last resort.
Nearly hopeless; critical.
Suffering or driven by great need or distress.

It’s easy to get lost in the subject’s face. Have you felt this kind of despair? Have you had this face inside you? Have you seen someone who looks as if they feel this way?

Dream
A series of thoughts, images, and sensations occurring in a person’s mind during sleep.
Strong
Not easily captured or defeated
Not easily upset; resistant to harmful or unpleasant influences.
Having force.
Persuasive, effective, and cogent.
Forceful and pointed; emphatic.
Forthright and explicit, often offensively so.
Extreme; drastic.
Having force of conviction or feeling; uncompromising.
Intense in degree or quality

I find the definitions of strong interesting as they can apply to the dream, or the person having the dream. I include so many because they offer possibilities that a general knowledge of strong might not.

Go to it and let’s see what you come up with. If you haven’t read last week’s poems yet, grab a cuppa and wander by. I’ll see you tomorrow for Friday’s roundup of prompts; next Tuesday for a prompt that celebrates National Poetry Month and your poems; and next Thursday for a thought or two.

Happy writing, all.

P.S. The blog might shape shift a couple more times. We’re trying on new clothes for the perfect fit.

Posted by on 26/03/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: ,

45 responses to “Tuesday Poem Tryouts: The Title Says

1. The Laughing Housewife

26/03/2013 at 9:19 am

I like the new look!

26/03/2013 at 9:38 am

Thank you, Tilly Bud! I’m still getting used to looking left instead of right for the sidebar 🙂

2. barbara_y

26/03/2013 at 9:40 am

Nice and bright. For the spring that won’t materialize.
    (was looking at a thing on tv about the little ice age and 1816, the year without a summer, and watching the snow polka dot past the window)

26/03/2013 at 9:43 am

I’m sitting at my computer with sun and clouds alternating when a Facebook status from my husband comes by. He’s one mile away and they are having snow flurries. Do we give up yet?

• barbara_y

26/03/2013 at 9:54 am

Never fear, we wooly mastodons will be around until the end.

26/03/2013 at 10:05 am

Oh, what an image. Should I worry that i don’t have much of a problem seeing that image?!

26/03/2013 at 9:55 am

Nice warm colours. I need warm. Thumbs up. Brrrrr.

4. Ruth

26/03/2013 at 10:21 am

A lovely clean look, Margo – I like it!

26/03/2013 at 12:12 pm

Here’s it is, ready or not. Not probably. And I thought that dragons were thermal? Hmm. Woolies indeed. http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/pitched-slate-dreams/

26/03/2013 at 2:37 pm

I think my blood is thinning… fl…hack, hack…

• Misky

26/03/2013 at 3:48 pm

I just put on a second jumper. You should it, little fl…hacker. Flhacker. Excellent word.

26/03/2013 at 1:13 pm

I think Serena would like to dream that she were back in her castle…
    Though written for Miz Q. I think it fits nicely with Klee’s picture, in a surreal kind of way.

I like the readability of this new look.

26/03/2013 at 2:38 pm

Thanks, Jules. When I try on new themes the first thing I look for is easy readability.

26/03/2013 at 1:32 pm

Spring is the perfect time for shape-shifting!! Love this image prompt, Margo!

Thank you. 🙂 http://wordrustling.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/resilient-night/

P.S. I loved your last one too but it caused me to realize I have to much clutter and an emergency spring-cleaning was sparked in certain areas! 😉 A poem in action with no words.

26/03/2013 at 2:38 pm

A poem in action — wonderful, Hannah. Thus you are a poem in action!

• Hannah Gosselin

26/03/2013 at 3:19 pm

I can dig that!! Thank you for making me smile, Margo!

8. barbara_y

26/03/2013 at 5:49 pm

Sometimes, Margo, your mind is almost as elliptical as mine. Not sure I got what you were going for. Or maybe I got it right on. See? Anyway. I like where it took me. Unusually short.

• barbara_y

26/03/2013 at 5:52 pm

Elliptical. Not the right word. Don’t know what it is, though.

26/03/2013 at 5:55 pm

See. I had no problem with elliptical. Enigmatic?

26/03/2013 at 5:55 pm

Grin. I used to worry about it when I first taught, before I realised that figuring me out was good for the kids. They learned on the way. I’ll tell you when I see it.

9. viv blake

27/03/2013 at 3:22 am

10. margo roby

27/03/2013 at 7:49 am

ViV, there is a possibility the cold has sent us all that way. I have the aircon on at night [we like to be cold enough to huddle under the duvet] and the heat during the day. I have given up putting clothes away because I need anything from one to five layers from day to day. My closet now has two large piles on the shelves.

27/03/2013 at 9:17 am

12. purplepeninportland

27/03/2013 at 6:51 pm

Like the new look, Margo.

13. barbara_y

28/03/2013 at 5:35 am

Another take. Like the idea, but can’t get the voice. Needs to sit a while

14. Marian J. Veverka

28/03/2013 at 4:59 pm

Hi Margo
    I read Misky’s poem about the Angelus & after various tries, I came up with one, too.. It’s short. On my blog at Marianv.blog.co.uk
    Later, I read more. Everybody’s poem is really good!!

28/03/2013 at 5:14 pm

Hi Marian,
      I am really lucky with the people in this group who share their poems. I enjoy reading them every week. So good to have yours. I’m on my way over.

m

15. markwindham

28/03/2013 at 9:24 pm

Did you say to pick ‘one’?

29/03/2013 at 8:54 am

One, two, or three. Whatever your poem heart desires.

• markwindham

30/03/2013 at 10:26 am

you know…. when someone responds to a prompt…aren’t you supposed to comment… :))))))

and ‘What the H**L was that’ is an acceptable comment. 😉

30/03/2013 at 10:32 am

Ohhh. There was a link. I just saw the question. That might be a problem with reading stuff on phones. Thank you for the nudge (therefore realising something had fallen off the planet). I’m heading over now. Hey, I don’t know who else to be excited with and not feel like I am bragging. One of my poems for the April Remix challenge is in The Houston Chronicle. Okay, maybe I won’t explode, now.

• markwindham

30/03/2013 at 10:36 am

be excited and brag often. I will do the same when the need arises. Congrats. That is very cool. be sure and send me a link.

30/03/2013 at 10:42 am

as soon as I find one where you don’t have to subscribe!:-D

16. Sharp Little Pencil

29/03/2013 at 1:20 am

Margo, I found your prompt via Joseph Harker’s blog. Put links to both blogs on my post. Hope you like this one, as I haven’t been here in a long while… Amy

29/03/2013 at 8:54 am

Amy! How good to see you. I see your name here and there as I wander. I’ll be over in a minute.