Tuesday Poem Tryouts

26 Feb

listening to the traffic rushing by on a wet road

eakins plane crash

john singer sargent

Hello, all. We have our image prompt today. I have four paintings for your delectation. You may write about one, two, or all four. You may write as if the speaker is aware of the painting, or as if there were no painting.

Joseph Lorusso 1966 -  American Figurative painter - Tutt'Art@ (63)

joseph lorusso

Settle on what catches your fancy. From here, you can write a ‘response to’ poem, or you can treasure hunt. If you want to treasure hunt, you will need a little more time. Start at the bottom left of a painting and working your way across and up, note down all details. Then ask: What? Where? Whyfore? When? How?

winslow homer

winslow homer

You could decide to have the subject of the painting be metaphorical.

john singer sargent - Baby at Play

thomas eakins

You might want to focus on one detail in the painting and ignore the rest. Perhaps the crumpled doll, or the red wagon, stirs something.

Click on the paintings for a closer view. Enjoy. They are a strange lot, but that’s the fun for me when I pick. The next fun part is when I read your poems. Don’t forget to check last week’s contributions, if you haven’t been back. I’ll try and remember to leave a link, in future.

We shall be visiting our grand-daughter next week, so the blog will be dark. I will, however, have my laptop and will try and keep up with poems and comments. We’ll see how she feels about that. She’s quite techie- oriented, already.

I shall see you this Thursday for Your Poetics Serendipity; Friday for the Poetry Freeforall; and Tuesday, March 5th, for another Poem Tryout. [Yes, I am playing with titles again]

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 26/02/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , ,

16 responses to “Tuesday Poem Tryouts

26/02/2013 at 9:05 am

While not on one of your paintings…I did something similar here:

I think WP changed the theme…it doesn’t come up how I thought it would. it used to be easier to read, black on a white background. The link to the painting is on top.

Also you might enjoy my short piece for the Whirl…

Cheers.

2. Joseph Harker

26/02/2013 at 2:57 pm

Well, here’s this: Haymaking

26/02/2013 at 4:14 pm

Hi, Margo! These are all great…I took your advice…I wrote to the one that first caught my fancy. Thank you for the tryouts! Warm :)’s

4. Pamela

27/02/2013 at 8:25 am

Hi Margo, I love the paintings, they are inspiring. How are you doing? I have missed you.

Pamela ox

28/02/2013 at 2:06 pm

Hey, Pamela! So happy to see you 🙂

margo xo

5. barbara_y

27/02/2013 at 9:44 am

Couldn’t get much. If you see my brain wandering around, send it home.
    Have a good visit. Hope the weather in grand-daughter-land is fine. February was a bust: I have hopes for March.

28/02/2013 at 2:07 pm

Barbara, if I see your brain wandering around, I’m bringing it home with me.

Extended forecasts are for snow and more snow. Skip and I bought leggings and are packing layers of layers.

27/02/2013 at 1:04 pm

Here’s mine. http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/and-they-fell-like-drunk-bees/

And now I’m running silent, or dead, or dark or whatever term it is that you use for adieu pet. Be back on Monday.

28/02/2013 at 2:09 pm

Well… if you are dead, ducky, you’re both silent and dark. I want neither. I’m going to have you be lapsed.