Unexpected Moments Again

23 Jan

Part of the problem with my brain being so full of stuff that it jettisons stuff, or crams it under other stuff [like that, those of you who say you’re forgetful?], is that unexpected moments come more often. This one was when I looked at my inbox this morning, which tells me I can post a poem today on We Write Poems. Right. Post the poem. I had it written, done, and filed. Completely forgot the posted part.

We Write Poems asked us to write a poem about an unexpected moment with someone we care about. I give you my husband and his gaming attire in the early mornings.

Armadillo

I lean in the doorway watching him demolish
an attacking demon, his entire focus on the monitor.
A blue and bronze robe, from Bali, covers

his expanding stomach around which I
have to reach to hug him, now. He no longer
has a full head of hair for me to run fingers

through, although there is enough at the back
for my fingers to scritch. A cap covers his head
keeping the sun out of his eyes. I smother

laughter and look for my camera. His cap
of choice has an armadillo head sticking
out the front — stuffed toy variety — its stumpy
ribbed tail sticks straight out the back.

Visit We Write Poems to read others unexpected moments.

Posted by on 23/01/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

30 responses to “Unexpected Moments Again

1. laughwithme45

23/01/2013 at 8:14 am

This made me smile! The moments in the early morning together when we look our best!

2. rosross

23/01/2013 at 8:16 am

There is something poignant about this but the image comes wonderfully alive in the words.

23/01/2013 at 8:35 am

Thank you, Ros. I agree. When I watch him in his cap, so focused and that ridiculous tail, it’s poignant for me.

3. The Happy Amateur

23/01/2013 at 8:25 am

I love unconventional declarations of love, without the “wine and roses” stuff. I guess those things have their place, too, but somehow a cap with an armadillo head has more of a bite to it. Hope your husband appreciates your wonderful love poem ๐Ÿ™‚

23/01/2013 at 8:37 am

Got it in one, Sasha. I thought as I wrote this that it is no less a love poem than the more romantic one I wrote a few years ago [that one was even a sonnet!].

23/01/2013 at 8:37 am

You ol’ romantic you. I went in a completely different direction. Perhaps, sometimes we care too much about the fleeting relationships that are web cast our way …and yet …sometimes there just isn’t anything one can do or say to make ‘it’ right, if the other person is in a different frame of reference.

23/01/2013 at 8:42 am

I was reading your poem when your comment on mine came through. As wonderful as the web is, no ground rules have been established for relationships and how they work. That, as you have found [and I], can be a problem.

23/01/2013 at 9:12 am

Only a woman in love would appreciate the “Alien” qualities of her husband’s head hatching an armadillo.

23/01/2013 at 9:20 am

Did you hear the laugh?

• Misky

23/01/2013 at 2:37 pm

No. It’s flamin’ difficult at this distance.

6. Veronica Roth

23/01/2013 at 9:30 am

Boys! lol, lovely and charming poem Margo. Made me smile and I remembered one time that my kids and I bought my father a hat with a fan in the brim when he and mom returned to Africa. I can still see his big toothed laughing face.

23/01/2013 at 9:32 am

Boys. Exactly, Veronica. Hm. We, as in women, often say, ‘They are such boys,’ of men. I wonder if we indulge in behaviour that elicits a similar response.

• Veronica Roth

23/01/2013 at 9:44 am

Iโ€™m sure I do because I find it young and happy. I also am sure I support boyish behaviour in Robert and in my sons. Thereโ€™s nothing lovelier than to have Robert come home after hooning X Oxfordshire on his bike and feel his excitement for having had a good ride, and have him tell me all about his experimental engine beating some super expensive Ducati at the bike meet.

7. Ron.

23/01/2013 at 9:59 am

Romance has its place, but reality is always trumps. I wants me one o dem armadillo caps!. My Beloved Sandra would hate it!

23/01/2013 at 12:05 pm

Somehow, Ron, I knew you would like it.

8. Yousei Hime

23/01/2013 at 10:13 am

How adorable. How wonderful too that you love him in all that glorious imperfection. What game was he playing? ๐Ÿ˜‰ (The gaming rabbit is curious.)

23/01/2013 at 12:06 pm

Skip, who used to ignore all games, got hooked on World of Warcraft a few years ago. I am fascinated not only by the fact he plays, but that he is at the top most level!

• Yousei Hime

23/01/2013 at 12:33 pm

๐Ÿ˜€ Well, that is one I’ve avoided, mainly because it falls squarely in my “I refuse to pay for the game and to play the game” category. I have a friend or two who thoroughly enjoy it and routinely tempt me to join them. Good for him that he’s found something in which he can feel success and be married to someone who sees that as worthwhile. Give him a big hug for keeping that demon population down.

23/01/2013 at 10:38 am

This made me laugh, Margo!!! Now, that’s a hat!! I love those early times when we don’t need to be fashionable…it takes off so much pressure! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks so much for your visit…of course I went through and changed things…I realized, again, I was too hasty with that post button. :/ Oh well! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. barbara_y

23/01/2013 at 12:03 pm

Yep.

11. purplepeninportland

23/01/2013 at 12:30 pm

I haven’t posted mine on We Write, but looks like we had sort of the same idea. Love the robe and its contours.

12. vivinfrance

23/01/2013 at 2:46 pm

Every time I’ve tried to comment on this the phone has rung, or someone has come or the chops burned! At last, I have to thank you for the belly laugh (specially the difficulty in hugging) and congratulate you on the fun you must have had writing this!

23/01/2013 at 4:06 pm

The only thing now, ViV, is will he be as amused!

13. neil reid

24/01/2013 at 10:35 am

What? No photographic rendition to companion your poem here? (kidding)

Good humor (here, as we all see, a reflection of genuine regard) is not so much in my own stable, but you’ve done it well here dear Margo. And of craft, yes, your poem speaks as loud by implication as it does the visual image diretly made. (Maybe the title should be “armadillo” I wonder, if that wouldn’t be too much punch-line-first, but still… )

And yep (aside) the contest is on, being slow to email you. Who of us will win that ignoble prize? ๐Ÿ™‚ Meanwhile to say, thank you for that other poem Margo (and greener grass of response to follow). As ever, my appreciation for you being here. ~neil

25/01/2013 at 9:31 am

Actually I thought about it, Neil! I have the evidence.

Do you know, I like ‘armadillo’ as the title, and it’s such an outlandish thing, I don’t think it telegraphs anything. I’ve made the change in my files and shall change it here when I leave you.

Oh, I think I’ll win it ;-D. I am such a wretched correspondent. You and I may have the perfect cyber friendship. Neither is put out when the other disappears for six months, which is a good thing, as we each have that propensity.

m

14. Irene

25/01/2013 at 8:28 am

Hmmm, armadillo & warcraft, great pairing in a poem. Must be the testosterone thing, Margo. The poem shows huge affection.

25/01/2013 at 9:17 am

Thanks, Irene. I hadn’t thought of the testosterone thing. Interesting.