Your Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts

17 Jan

listening to I Dig Rock and Roll Music with Peter, Paul & Mary

Hello, everyone. Welcome to Part 2 of margo’s delineation of this blog. Last week, I explained Tuesday Tryouts and asked you a couple of questions. The answers fell overwhelmingly into two categories: Don’t change and don’t change, but it’s your blog, so do what you want. I have always considered this your blog. Therefore, no change it is and we’ll ditch the poll unless we decide to do one for the sheer difference of having a poll here. Thank you to everyone who spoke.

Thursday Thoughts started as a place where I can discuss and even expound on the theories of writing poetry. I loved writing the posts and the discussions that ensued, but there are only so many topics I can think of. A few months ago, I shifted YS@TT’s focus. I would like this to be a day where I still discuss topics, but they are topics you have asked me to take on [I still owe Paula a prose poem discussion — I’m collecting notes].

Another purpose can be as a place to make an announcement of any kind regarding poetry and your life. You have come across a blog you think we should all check out; you have a special going at your blog, like an interview; you have read a book of poetry you think everyone should read; you have published a chapbook and would like everyone to read it but are a shy flower, so haven’t announced it on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. I’m not shy about others’ accomplishments. I’ll trumpet for you.

This can, even should, be a place where I review the occasional book [and I have]; give the occasional interview [and I have]; or, have a guest blogger [and I have]. But, I don’t do any of these enough.

Last, I pick places, events, flotsam and jetsam, and give you a brief rundown, as well as a link.

Should you have a topic you wish me to take on, or have an announcement to be made, contact me: margoroby@gmail.com

Friday Freeforall, along with the previous two days, has been with me since the beginning, a little over two years ago. As I was getting to know the cyber community of writers and how it works, I realised that a lot of time is spent going from prompt site to prompt site. Even if they are all bookmarked, you have to go to them to see if each has something you want to write to.

I figure having a dozen or so blogs on one page, with a brief description of the prompt and a link, can shorten the search. If you read that Joseph [link tomorrow] is giving what amounts to revision lessons, you can race over to see how it’s done and to give him a knotty poem of yours to work over. If you see that a prompt is to do with snakes and you don’t even like to see the word on a page, you can bypass it for the week.

I think that’s it. Relatively short, for me. You laughed! I heard you. I’ll see you tomorrow at Friday’s roundup of prompts; next Tuesday for a prompt to tryout; and next Thursday for Your Serendipity.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 17/01/2013 in poetry, writing

Tags: , ,

29 responses to “Your Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts

17/01/2013 at 9:12 am

Yes, Oh great and powerful Promptress, I did laugh – but from the beginning, at the first paragraph. I did submit three haiku to a contest yesterday. But I won’t know anything until March sometime. I’m attempting to be more proactive on submissions this year. Toot-toot.

17/01/2013 at 9:27 am

Well, you’re always laughing at me, Jules :-). I like my title. You may use it when addressing me [hee hee].

Maybe we can set up a support system. Margo: How many poems have you sent out? Jules: Um… Margo: Don’t make me come up there. Jules: And you? How many have YOU submitted. Margo: I smell toast burning.

• julespaige

17/01/2013 at 9:30 am

I laugh with you. I laugh with you honestly!
        So did you at least save the toast?

The sloth in me says…OK one (submission) a month…that’s a good start. You’re good for the rest of this month anyway. …snore…Sloth went back to sleep.

17/01/2013 at 10:19 am

Sound of stick being sharpened… poke poke poke

• julespaige

17/01/2013 at 10:32 am

You scraping the burnt parts of the toast or prodding the sloth… 🙂

17/01/2013 at 10:52 am

You’ve made me laugh enough today to overcome the greys 😀

• julespaige

17/01/2013 at 11:34 am

…Just doin’ my job Ma’am…

2. barbara_y

17/01/2013 at 9:55 am

Ugh, submissions. Back in October, during Khara’s blitz, I overshot. Sent out things that weren’t ready AND sent them, in large part, to print publications. I’m still waiting for my final rejection to wipe the slate clean.

• barbara_y

17/01/2013 at 9:57 am

Is it not a hoot how my little Picasso logo looks saying “Ugh”

17/01/2013 at 10:21 am

Grinning. Yes. Isn’t it lovely that we can get joy from such things.

• Hannah Gosselin

17/01/2013 at 11:21 am

I love Picasso you B!!!! I bailed on Khara. Ugh. Not purposefully though.

• The Happy Amateur

17/01/2013 at 10:23 am

It feels good to know that even the greats do it 🙂
      I find myself returning to your “24” over and over again. And you read it so well, too. Congratulations on your nomination!

3. vivinfrance

17/01/2013 at 9:58 am

I love that interchange. I submit in spasms – weeks with nothing, and then I’ll find a competition or read a new magazine or Tillybud gees me up Looking at my submission book, I see that since last July I have submitted about 35 poems (some in groups), with one shortlisted and the acceptance of 3 haiga. for a French magazine. Not a marvellous record, which is why I like blogging – at least people read the darned things most days ( I’m fast approaching 80 thousand hits on my blog.

17/01/2013 at 10:25 am

Sounds like me, ViV. Although you are ahead of me. I’m as slow to submit as I am to write.

Having a blog plus submitting is a great way to go. 80,000! Impressive.

17/01/2013 at 10:06 am

A lovely cheery post. Happy Thursday to you.

17/01/2013 at 10:25 am

Grey. Grey grey grey. I used to like the sound of cars on the tarmac. Hm. Sounds like a stone.

5. The Happy Amateur

17/01/2013 at 10:11 am

Sounds like your…our blog is going to be even better, look forward to all these new exciting things on Thursdays…”Snakes” made me smile: we’ve just thrown our Chinese New Year Birthday Party for our daughter; it was scary fun 🙂

17/01/2013 at 10:26 am

Our daughter is also a snake. What fun to have a Chinese New Year’s Birthday Party!

• The Happy Amateur

17/01/2013 at 11:07 am

She is a snake, turned 12, but we’ve been doing Chinese New Year-themed kid parties for four years already. For some reason Chinese New Year is big in Russia, so in a weird way it’s a Russian tradition for our family 🙂

17/01/2013 at 11:17 am

Interesting. I’ll bet that happened when the White Russians moved back after the Revolution. They lived in China for years. My father, who grew up in China, was taught to ride by Cossacks.

• The Happy Amateur

17/01/2013 at 11:28 am

This is so interesting! I’ll have to investigate. I thought it was a recent thing, without any particular meaning attached to it, just another fun thing to add to the celebrations. It’s very possible it’s a “old new thing” coming back.

6. margo roby

17/01/2013 at 10:15 am

Good Heavens! I turn my back for one minute to get coffee and look at you all :-D.

17/01/2013 at 11:33 am

Hmm…I like the idea of space to share…announce…hang out like a jazzy lil’ cafe…for Thursdays…open mic sort of. That be kinda cool create a virtual cafe with an open mic…people could come by and perform a piece!! 🙂

You know what? I’m gonna tell ya!! Before I was directed to your freeforall posts I was a small fish in a lil’ tiny bowl!! My blogging adventures have expanded largely due to you and that particular post!!

Tuesday. Tryouts. I love them. :)!! I feel good knowing that I can reach out or not with those pieces…usually I write them just for you! And well, me of course!

So…I will be doing a poetry reading this Sunday at my church. It’s a poem that I wrote for the Sandyhook Tragedy. The topic this week is “we all are one,” the speaker will be talking about Martin Luther King and he asked if I’d be willing to add anything creatively so I said that as a writer I tend to extend my poetry as offering and this particular poem came to mind.

That event took down separations for me, for many. Those strangers were not strangers those kids were my kids, those teachers easily could have been my neighbor or my sister who often volunteers at school. It rocked my world.

Any way…you probably need a fresh cup by now!! Talking your ear off here! 😉

17/01/2013 at 12:03 pm

Exactly, Hannah. You translate me so well. I used to have a student whom, when I knew my explanation of an assignment was confusing a class, I would turn to. She would say: ‘Oh for heavens sake, she told us to…’. Made me laugh.

I love thinking of it as an open mic. People can stop by and say, ‘I wrote a poem I want you all to read. Here’s the link.’ or ‘Hey! is anyone else having trouble with margo’s last exercise [lol]?’. People can even read their poems aloud on I’m not sure where, but there are places and then leave us a link.

Funny the way we see things. When you first appeared here, I thought: ‘Wow. Hannah has come to my site’. I had seen you somewhere — I’m guessing Poetic Bloomings? I’m glad you feel as comfortable as you do. Welcome, a thousand times, welcome.

‘That event took down separations for me’ — that is a really good way to put it. I will think of you and your church and Sandy Hook, on Sunday.

Your turn for a fresh cup 🙂

• Hannah Gosselin

17/01/2013 at 1:03 pm

Sweet!! I’ve always wanted to be a translator! 😉 We ARE on the same page. Buddah Moskowitz has a virtual reading place.Yes, I’m still a small fish but now a bigger livelier bowl!! I was only @ Poetic Asides and then Poetic Bloomings before I started Metaphors and Smiles and then…..WOW….a sudden snow flurry just hit us!! I was noticing it was getting super gray and then I looked away and when I looked back BAM! What was I saying?! So, I’m so glad you’ll be thinking of us in Sunday. That feels so encouraging and good!! ♥ Smiles!

18/01/2013 at 7:56 am

That’s the name I was trying to remember! Buddah, I knew, but his last name, no. Thank you, ma’am.

Looks like the snow gave us a miss this time around.