The Sunday Whirl and a Question

05 Jan

Hello. I don’t mean to sound quite so dramatic, but it was almost like that. I typed up the poem for The Sunday Whirl and headed to Wordgathering, my main blog, when my brain asked: Why don’t you put all your poetry on Random Stones [a second blog, at the moment, only in use once a year]?

I have considered this before, but made the decision to keep my poetry [I haven’t considered stones poetry, so much as a source of possible poems, so they will remain on the other blog, whatever we decide.] and regular posts together. I think I was thinking to make your lives easier. I think my thinking has shifted because it might make your lives easier to have my regular posts in one place and my poetry in another. Clearly, I am not quite sure, so feel free to pitch in with opinions.

The question before you, the readers, is: Do I want to have the same amount of emails coming to my inbox, but with two different sources so it seems like more, or do I like the way Margo has things, with the occasional unexpected poem popping up? Followers who visit [i.e. not via inbox], your question is: Do I want to track Margo in two different places?

Yes, this week’s wordle poem.

Practice Living, Not Being

Listen when I tell you life has a giddy clarity
if we stop long enough within the tumult
to take a breath. Sweet or bitter, the venture
asks that we awake, step into the fire of what is.

I am so glad to be whirling again! Thank you, Brenda.

Posted by on 05/01/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , ,

49 responses to “The Sunday Whirl and a Question

1. teri h hoover photography

05/01/2013 at 4:47 pm

I for one never knew you had another blog. I have just added it to my list of small stone blogs. Now I will always know when you post there; whether or not you fall into my email box. Oh happy day- more Margo. 🙂

A giddy clarity – indeed.

05/01/2013 at 5:01 pm

I’m sneaky that way, Teri! And, you are a lovely person!

2. Mary

05/01/2013 at 4:51 pm

I do like stepping into the fire of what is. I think we MUST do this in order to survive.

Actually, I think it makes sense for you to have two blogs. One for your poetry and one for your articles. Really it would be no trouble at all to follow two blogs of yours….and it might even clarify (for those who follow on Google blogger) what one will find when one clicks….information or poem.

05/01/2013 at 5:04 pm

Mary, i couldn’t agree more. Much as a quiet life might seem desirable, it appears humans don’t thrive well just being. We need the fire to grow and develop.

Thank you for the comment on the blogs.

05/01/2013 at 5:47 pm

I see why you might like them separate…for yourself, more organized sort of…I don’t mind having two of you come to my inbox…either Margo that arrives I will be happy to see. That probably doesn’t help you much.

I heart your wordle!! I was thinking similarly. I like this part lots: “asks that we awake, step into the fire of what is.” So good and your comment about it above…I agree with you. 🙂

06/01/2013 at 9:54 am

Grin. You sound like I do, Hannah 🙂

Thank you re the wordle!

05/01/2013 at 6:12 pm

Hey – I got this one! You fixed it? Anyway I’m at a loss to tell you how to operate.

Since I started with one blog and now have (for what I think are good reasons) 4 blogs. I’m sorting stuff to help me. Three of them are WordPress, but one is linked to the River, the other is the Story Verse (mostly via wordle lists) and now one for Flashy Fiction. The blogspot is for longer verse. The inbox remains the same. I’ve got to keep the blogspot for my sanity in processing comments for the blogspot sites I do visit. Because blogspot and wordpress don’t always play nice in that department.

I didn’t even know you had another spot until now…something to investigate 🙂

I did a similar wordle 90 as well, but I rearranged the words a little differently. Since it’s short I’ll post it here and then there tomorrow along with the story verse addition that I haven’t written yet…

Within the clarity of fire awaken –
    bitter breath leaves ventures tumult.
    Step lightly with giddy curiosity
    and with practice, listen…

Hugs, J

06/01/2013 at 9:56 am

Nice, Jules. I like the rearrangement and the slightly different, but same, theme.

Thanks for the bit on blogs. It helps me with my own thinking even when people aren’t sure what, as readers, they might like.

5. Annette Mickelson

05/01/2013 at 10:21 pm

I like the format of your Wordgathering blog as it is. I have two blogs; one for poetry and one for memoir type stories about our ranch. I’m going to check out your stones blog – it’s easy to add another blog to my following list. But, you should do what works for you.

06/01/2013 at 9:58 am

Annette, I do too. I think I wanted a check to make sure you all were happy with what you get now. Thank you.

6. barbara_y

06/01/2013 at 12:46 am

I agree with Annette. This blog is just about right as it stands (if it were perfect, it would be too good). Of course, I get itchy and re-imagine my blog(s) every few months–as in: now. You should be comfortable enough with us to feel free to turn things on their heads now and then. Just leave breadcrumbs.

06/01/2013 at 10:08 am

I’m good at breadcrumbs. And, it’s thanks to you, that I have a third!!! blog where I go play.

See you when you re-emerge.

7. vivinfrance

06/01/2013 at 4:23 am

And I’m glad you’re whirling again, too.

Why not put your poetry into a page on your normal blog, like I do: I have separate pages for my quilts and fiction and life writing etc.

• vivinfrance

06/01/2013 at 7:15 am

PS I forgot to admire your fabulously concise Wordle.

06/01/2013 at 10:01 am

Funny. It started as two stanzas. Same words. You know what the poetic brain does. So, a quatrain.

• julespaige

06/01/2013 at 9:56 am

Viv,
      Speaking just for myself…and perhaps it is only an issue with ‘free’ blogs, folks can’t add comments to individual posts on pages that are not the ‘main’ homepage part of the blog. They could however address a particular post and place it as a comment for the entire page. So that’s why I created additional blogs.
      Hope you are keeping warm. We had frozen fog in our forecast this morning! Looked like a dusting of snow to me.

06/01/2013 at 10:00 am

Let’s hope it takes, ViV.

I am making a note to explore your blog [rather than the hopping I do when going around]. Thanks for the idea.

06/01/2013 at 6:15 am

I have no preference.

I do however absolutely adore your wordle this week. It’s brilliant. I am delighted that you’ve returned with your muse.

06/01/2013 at 10:03 am

I’m not sure the muse is here, Misk, but we’ll see, especially as I just committed myself to writing 30 poems in April, something I never [never, do you hear me?] do.

• barbara_y

06/01/2013 at 10:19 am

Oddly enough, it’s not that hard to write every day–you do have to give yourself permission to write badly now and then, but even those will usually have a kernel you can salvage.

06/01/2013 at 10:35 am

I hope so, Barbara. The premise intrigued me. All the poems have to be found poems based on one Pulitzer Prize work of fiction. I chose The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx.

9. nan

06/01/2013 at 11:41 am

Yes! This poem says it so clearly and concisely!!! Step into the fire of what is!! Love it.
    As to your question – I keep my small stones on a separate blog and that is all I put there… and I put my poetry and other assorted things on my main blog… and now have even started a Tumblr microblog for quotes, animated gif, and “funnies.” I don’t mind following the same person in more than one place. I find small stone reading a meditative thing… and like to just find those in one place. Separation and unity… its all there. And there.

06/01/2013 at 4:26 pm

You’re right, Nan. I was startled by how fast people found me on the other blog and it threw me. Now I am more settled and have read the comments, I am fine the way I have done it, for the same reason you do yours the way you do. Thank you.

10. pmwanken

06/01/2013 at 12:06 pm

So glad to see your name on Mr Linky, my friend. Though…I’d have enjoyed the excuse to knock on your door and wait for you (with tapping toe) to post. 😉

I’ve not ventured around the sphere enough to know whether we all thought similarly with these words…but I know at least two of us wrote of giddy clarity.

As for the blogs…I do believe your blogs are great as is. But if you’re feeling the need to divide and separate, we followers will do what’s needed to follow! Bottom line: just keep posting somewhere. ANYwhere. We love reading your words! xox

06/01/2013 at 4:28 pm

Heh heh. That would have been fun, especially doing the knocking and toe tapping over the waves.

A number of us were on similar tracks, but very different styles.

Lovely person. I believe I shall continue as I have. I can always have an upheaval later!

11. 1sojournal

06/01/2013 at 1:53 pm

Love the giddy clarity. Been experiencing an overload of that this past week as I’m reading my morning pages from twenty years ago. Also love the economy and coherence in your piece.

As far as the blogs go, I have four and that is for my own benefit and need to separate my own interests between prose and poetry. I will echo the many others who have said, do what feels best for you. I will follow because I admire and respect your commitment, as well as your writing.

Elizabeth

06/01/2013 at 4:36 pm

Elizabeth, I find with my earlier writing, not necessarily poetry, but thoughts, that I say things better, which fascinates me. So, yes, the giddy clarity of discovery as well as thought.

I do have a hidden third blog where I can go make mud pies should I wish. I enjoy the different blogs. I think I shall keep things as they have been. I mentioned to a couple of people that when I initially posted a couple of stones I was thrown by how fast people found me [people I don’t know — what has changed since the first stones two years ago, where we each spent days finding a few people to follow?], an that started me wondering if I should delineate the blogs more. I think not, although I have a couple of other questions I’ll post Thursday.

Thank you, Elizabeth, for the compliment, as I hold you in esteem [sounds old-fashioned, but right].

12. Peggy Goetz

06/01/2013 at 2:51 pm

I like what you did with the wordle. As far as blogs go, I say do what seems most appealing to you. You are the author, after all.

06/01/2013 at 4:36 pm

Thank you on both counts, Peggy!

13. Brenda Bishop Blakey

06/01/2013 at 2:58 pm

Deliciously potent and tiny, a tiny truffle of truth, light on the tongue and freeing to the spirit. I am waxing again. Please, someone stop me.

06/01/2013 at 4:38 pm

Well, I’m not going to stop you, Brenda. You’re too much fun. Besides, what a scrumptious description. If I have a chapbook published I’ll ask if I can have that on the back!

14. Brenda Bishop Blakey

06/01/2013 at 4:43 pm

What a sweet thought, oh my!

15. irene

06/01/2013 at 5:47 pm

I love that purification, that clarity. It clouds up soon enough. As for blogs I’m a one stop girl.

06/01/2013 at 5:54 pm

Just keep stopping here, Irene :-). I’ll stay as is. The clarity does cloud up for a while, but the clarity comes again. I promise.

16. brenda w

06/01/2013 at 6:23 pm

I’m glad you are whirling, too, Margo. Hooray! As for your work, post it wherever. I’ll find it. Eventually, I’ll start writing on Tuesdays again. Retirement may only be a couple of years away. Your last line is delicious.

07/01/2013 at 9:02 am

Thank you, Brenda! May the fire of what is be retirement because I am telling you, while there is nothing retired about it, the fact that I choose every minute [alright, I lose track of whole hours], makes the stress levels murmur happily and quietly.

17. Robyn

06/01/2013 at 6:34 pm

a great wordle! Love the step into the fire of what is!
    Only because you asked…I say follow what feels right to you!

07/01/2013 at 9:03 am

Thank you, Robyn. I appreciate that.

18. markwindham

06/01/2013 at 7:45 pm

I do like the poem, and we will track Margo wherever she goes. There might be something to be said for seperating the creative outlet from the instructive.

07/01/2013 at 9:06 am

I’m beginning to have visions of a command centre, voices crackling over headsets, computer terminals: “Step lively. She’s moving to the other blog. Wait. Oh, good grief, she’s started another one. Someone monitor her.”
      I know. I like the clean cutness of it, but… I don’t know, just but.

• markwindham

07/01/2013 at 9:49 am

🙂
        The is also the “if it ain’t broke…” part to consider. Might be too much trouble to mess with. It is a hassle to make sure you are on the correct page for what you are doing. Drives me nuts with FB, having the separate personal/business pages and making sure I am on the right one.

07/01/2013 at 9:54 am

Actually, I have been having that problem. Good point. Thank you. She stays as is. For now 🙂

19. Pamela

06/01/2013 at 8:34 pm

I echo the others in saying it is wonderful to see you back at the whirl, you have been missed. As for the blog thingy, I will follow you where ever you decide. Sounds creepy, doesn’t it? Seriously, I love the poem and how you put it together so succinctly.

07/01/2013 at 9:08 am

Laughing, Pamela. I always pause before saying something like that to someone online, but that’s what we are doing, following. We haven’t been given new vocabulary for that!

m

20. Tumblewords

07/01/2013 at 11:38 pm

…into the fire of what is. Strong and perfect!

21. anl4

09/01/2013 at 7:42 am

I love that you are back. And about the question, one or two, perhaps three…hugs.

09/01/2013 at 8:02 am

Annell, you started my day with a smile and a laugh.