Mirror, Mirror — Tuesday Tryouts

25 Sep

listening and dancing [yes, in my chair] to Simon and Garfunkel singing My Little Town

Hello, all. I love this time of year. I am wearing a sweater and wooly sock things. My son, while he and his family have been on the road from San Antonio to Burlington, Vermont, has kept me updated through texts and calls. One of the texts yesterday noted they had just passed a ‘bear crossing’ sign. I could hear the exclamation marks.

Tuesday has arrived, the last of the month, and I have an image for you from another of the blogs I follow regularly, Chris Goan’s This Fragile Tent. He was out paddling when he saw something odd in the near distance. It grew odder as he approached.

Photograph by Chris Goan

I thought the sculpture quite the most entrancing thing I had seen in a while, which is why you have the large version. I could not bear showing a small image and you having to click to enlarge. Can you imagine paddling around in a canoe and coming across this?

You have a number of options:

Respond immediately, viscerally, even; or, go away and come back to the image a number of times, each time jotting your thoughts.

You can use this as metaphor for the unexpected things we paddle across in our lives.

You might write a poem about mirrors and reflections.

You can visit the home of this statue, Caol Ruadh Sculpture Park [I would live there if I had one nearby] and then write a poem about what you discover. You will see more of sculptor Rob Mulholland’s work if you click on the square with the mirrored figure. I told Chris I liked his photographs better, but you may find an idea seeing the collective whole.

If you visit the park and are caught by something else, of course write about it, instead.

I am looking forward to reading what you do with this. I will see you Thursday for a discussion topic; Friday for the roundup; and, next Tuesday for a prompt on your inner child.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 25/09/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , ,

29 responses to “Mirror, Mirror — Tuesday Tryouts

1. barbara_

25/09/2012 at 9:01 am

Obviously: a bare crossing

25/09/2012 at 9:07 am

Put the wine down, Barbara.

I’ll pass this on. He’ll appreciate it.

27/09/2012 at 8:11 am

You must be settled in one spot, Ros. I love seeing you here.

2. JulesPaige

25/09/2012 at 2:12 pm

Serendipity? I wrote of mirrors just yesterday (here):

However this is an intriguing image! Grandson was here early and left just about an hour ago and I need some lunch to feed my brain. 🙂

27/09/2012 at 7:51 am

Jules, it is intriguing, isn’t it? I keep seeing it as Chris must have, from a distance, wondering what someone was doing, gradually realising it’s not someone but something.

3. pmwanken

25/09/2012 at 8:39 pm

Question…do we have permission to post the image on our blogs w/a link back to his?

4. purplepeninportland

25/09/2012 at 11:32 pm

What a great picture. Like this prompt. Mine is up.

27/09/2012 at 7:52 am

The image doesn’t leave my mind for long. Heading your way, Sara.

5. barbara_

26/09/2012 at 1:32 pm

One of my favorite metaphors for god/religion is the mirror disco ball. This works the same way: the object itself disappears into reflection.

6. ldsrr91

27/09/2012 at 8:12 am

Very interesting indeed.

I liked that.

LDS

27/09/2012 at 8:21 am

Hello you! Seeing you put a big smile on my face. The problem with having anything go to my Reader is that I forget to go to my Reader, so my visits are spasmodic. I was just rereading your About section to see if anything new was up and choked on the paragraph:
      “Unfortunately if you are a regular reader of this site, in my often off the wall style or loopy way, I can discourage comments. I will sit down and write that I believe my parrot is a direct descendant of Satan or an emissary from hell, and most people (in their right mind) wouldn’t dare to comment on something that bizarre.”
      I must have forgotten it. As you know, I never have a problem commenting, just remembering to stop by. I hope all is well, Don.

28/09/2012 at 7:22 pm

Hi!!! It’s your long lost friend… I’ve been learning to juggle! No, not really, I’m a horrible juggler but I’ve been taking on a little more of the 3D world as our De says and also have been totally immersed in the series “Parenthood,” SO good! This was a great one, Margo…thanks a bunch always and BIG smiles to you!

30/09/2012 at 9:55 pm

Hey stranger! Try scarves. Makes juggling a whole new thing. I found them enchanting because they let me juggle easily and they allowed me to see the process, as the scarves floated by. You want the small chiffony ones.

It’s so good to see you. I’ve missed watching you run in and out 🙂

• Hannah Gosselin

01/10/2012 at 8:23 am

Ooo…scarves!!! You’re onto something my friend…I can SO see this…hypnotic almost I bet to watch…I can’t wait to try it. You know I didn’t mean real juggling though….but now, now I really want to learn….this could be my next biggest talent! 🙂

I’ve missed you, too, Margo….I had to chill a little bit on writing for a bit and get out of my mind!! He he he…well you know what I mean, probably.

So glad to find you on Tuesdays though thank you for that! :)’s to you always!

01/10/2012 at 10:16 am

I do know, but then I thought, This is Hannah, she’ll love the idea!
          I know what you mean about pulling back. I’ll be taking the next two weeks off. Sort of like a cleansing and a spa retreat, metaphorically :-).
          Hugs your way, always, too.

• Hannah Gosselin

01/10/2012 at 5:14 pm

You know me well!!! I love this idea metaphorically taking a spa retreat….genius!! 🙂