Your Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts

23 Aug

‘Goin’ to the Chapel’ playing

Hello, all. I sat down an hour ago to write you and just realised I spent the entire hour wandering around the Sphere. Let’s get to this week’s grab bag.

1] I am sure that most writers have been frustrated by the rejection notices where editors tell you how much they enjoyed your poems, but…That’s how Donna starts her post about submissions and rejections. It’s a short but important eureka moment. Head for Put Words Together. Make Meaning to read what she says.

2] As long as we are on the topic, how about a list of dos and don’ts for submitting work? Amanda Earl is both writer and editor, so has a unique perspective. Much of what she says is self-evident, yet, sometimes, it’s good to read what we know and be reminded.

3] Patrick Ross, of The Writer’s Road, has author Annie Neugebauer as a guest blogger. Her topic? What the Heck Should I Call Myself, Anyway? Have you ever wondered, when people ask: What do you do [aside from other jobs than writing], how exactly to answer? Until I read this post, I wandered between: I write. I’m a writer. I write poetry. I never felt any were quite right as far as conveying what I do to non-writers. After reading this post, I answer: I’m an author. Faces clear immediately; heads nod. People understand what an author is. A writer? Not so much.

4] This is for all us book mad people, but does require a bit of tech to accomplish. Jeff O’Neal, the editor of Book Riot, shows us a nifty way to make book covers into screen savers. Nope. This has nothing to do with poetry. Serendipity, remember?

5] Finally, grab that cup of whatever, pull your chair up, make yourself comfortable and listen to Billy Collins, for 12 minutes. His subject is ‘everyday moments, caught in time‘ but, really, do we care? Sitting with him for twelve minutes is a treat. If you have not explored TED talks, this is an example of what can be found.

Posted by on 23/08/2012 in poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , ,

9 responses to “Your Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts

1. vivinfrance

23/08/2012 at 4:03 pm

What a lovely post – so much that is helpful. This one I shall bookmark to come back to when I’m feeling less frazzled.

23/08/2012 at 4:16 pm

I know what you mean, ViV. The only time I have to see these posts is when I am choosing which to put in.

[I’ve never trashed anyone’s comments before!]

24/08/2012 at 11:32 am

Ah…I love when you tell me what you’re listening to…I always click it on the youtube and listen while I read your post! Fun oldie!! Umm..I need to submit more..yup I commit to committing more time for submitting…maybe, tomorrow. Lol I’m so lazy. There I said it!

Love that Bill Collins…he’s funny and yes, I agree…start a meeting with a poem…we incorporate poetry into our worship services on Sunday’s. Sometimes mine!! Patting myself on the lil’ back…hehee…Any way I always feel so lucky to be able to share.

Alright…my two year old is emptying the contents of my purse…I needed to clean out my bag any way!! 😉

A great day to you, thank you for all these relevant points of serendipity, Margo!! 🙂

24/08/2012 at 11:56 am

I’m always listening to music, Hannah. Recently I started saying what and I liked the feeling it gave me of another thread between us.

Okay, you have it in writing with any number of witnesses. Although I am terrible about submitting. Desultory would describe it. Mmmm… Rufus Wainwright singing Hallelujah. It moves me so much.

Clever. Anything needs clearing send the kid in first!

A good day and weekend to you. I shall see you around [nice to be able to say that and know it’s true] 🙂

3. Annette Mickelson

24/08/2012 at 8:36 pm

I enjoyed the interview. Thanks for sharing the link. Have a great weekend. I’m plugging away on your prompt; for some reason, its quite challenging for me. I think my imagination is rusty. 🙂

25/08/2012 at 10:36 am

It’s good, isn’t it, Annette. Keep plugging 🙂 I have found, once I wrote one completely out there, that it freed my imagination, somewhat. I usually hold my imaginative mind tightly chained [for no reason I know of — I have always assumed it’s so because I find play and therefore, metaphor difficult], but this form has allowed it to hack away at a couple of links. 🙂

• Annette Mickelson

25/08/2012 at 11:26 am

Yes, once I found a subject I liked, I found one imaginative thing and then a few more came. That’s like Christmas for me! I’m putting it up this morning.

25/08/2012 at 11:56 am

Can’t wait to read it. I’m enjoying these very much.