Tuesday: Trying Another Tryout

14 Aug

Brrr. A little chilly in early morning Atlanta. How is everyone? Well, I hope. I’m listening to Gordon Lightfoot. I had forgotten how good he is; not exactly cheery, though. Hmmm… where is my idea notebook which usually sits right next to the computer? Hang on. Okay, got it. I am almost resettled. Just a couple of little things still [like the notebook going walkabout].

I believe I mentioned free choice. MUAHAHAHA. Is anything free? No, no, no philosophical discussions being invited. Making a point before giving you the prompt. I’d hate to have you read the next bit and say ‘Hang on’. You do have choices.

1] You are free to choose one of the exercises we did from the summer tryout schedule: imagistic poem, cinquain, diamante, long form acrostic, list poem, a summer poem from an image, or a winter poem from an image.

Choose one, or more, and write a completely new poem. You can choose one of the ones you had the most fun with, or one of the ones you had the most difficulty with and had made a note to yourself to try again, sometime. Sometime is here.

2] Look at the prompts from my Friday roundup, or another site you meant to get to and ran out of time. Here’s your chance to get to that prompt you wanted to do. This means a new, as yet unwritten, poem.

3] You want freer, you say? Go for it. Write a poem. Post.

I have enjoyed the summer run and am already planning our slate for next summer. Meanwhile, I shall see you Thursday for a little serendipity [see below]; Friday for the roundup; and next Tuesday for a post-summer, pre- new writing season exercise [a soon as I find where the heck I stashed it].

We are back in Thursday Thoughts mode, so if you have announcements, send them along; if you have a question, send it along; if you want a discussion of something, let me know. Other than that, post your poems and wander back to read others’.

Happy writing.

Posted by on 14/08/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

36 responses to “Tuesday: Trying Another Tryout

1. vivinfrance

14/08/2012 at 9:45 am

2. The Happy Amateur

14/08/2012 at 10:14 am

Hi! I know what you mean by Gordon Lightfoot being good, but not cheery. I love-hate his songs, because I usually end up depressed after listening to them…but keep coming back for more anyway.

14/08/2012 at 1:00 pm

🙂 Yep!

• Annette Mickelson

14/08/2012 at 1:09 pm

Ditto! He has some great lyrics and the guy can tell a story — usually a depressing one. 😉

3. Annette Mickelson

14/08/2012 at 1:07 pm

Since I look at, and use, many of the prompts on your roundup this was an easy week for me with you. Here’s what I posted today: http://hoofprintsinmygarden.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/our-journey/

14/08/2012 at 1:09 pm

Hmmm… I’m not sure I approve of easy! Yes, I’m grinning and coming your way.

• Annette Mickelson

14/08/2012 at 1:10 pm

Margo, your prompts are never easy! I meant easy in the sense that I was able to use something already written.

14/08/2012 at 1:13 pm

I know, Annette. I couldn’t resist. I’m trying for laughter after two CDs of Lightfoot!

4. JulesPaige

14/08/2012 at 1:55 pm

How about this weeks Wordle for starters… a possible missing link (could be read alone, but is a squeal to Wordle 68 only two poems down the (my) page of (ok here’s 68 read that first if you wish)
    Then:

…Acheron is an interesting word… name? One for the ‘learn something (maybe even two) new thing(s) everyday’ department.

I’d give you my We Write Poems one that I just wrote today, but I’m going to wait and post that tomorrow…

Really Wooly slippers? It’s 86F in SW, PA dear. I just made some home made soup – want some?
    Cheers, Jules

14/08/2012 at 2:33 pm

😀 I shall read both!

I believe it is a name. Drat. hang on… Acheron, the river of pain, was a stream and swampy lake of the underworld and also the name of its god. Charon ferried the souls of the dead across it, into Hades.

There.

We’re 81 right now, but in the 60s!!! when i woke up. Soup sounds good.

I’ll take the cheer, too. It’s grey down here.

xom

5. margo roby

14/08/2012 at 2:23 pm

People, people, the second choice does not say you are free to use an already written poem. I checked. It says use a prompt you didn’t have the time to do! Really.

• pmwanken

14/08/2012 at 3:49 pm

Pffftt! I’m going to link one here, anyway, written and posted last night, using one of your previous Tryouts (the sentence acrostic). But to satisfy the Dragon Lady (said with the utmost love and affection), I’ll write another and be back to post, later.

**HUGS**

• vivinfrance

15/08/2012 at 4:38 am

I grovel: the first link gave you was not the one for the poem I had written seconds before in white heat and quest for vengeance, and specially for one of your Friday prompts which I had missed.

15/08/2012 at 8:15 am

ViV, I’m laughing… and mollified. Loved the poem you wrote. Know the scene so well.

14/08/2012 at 2:33 pm

Catch you in two weeks, Margo. We’re off to Denmark tomorrow evening. Peder’s mum has taken a turn for the worse, our John and his fiancee are in tow as Gaby hasn’t met Peder’s parents yet. I’ve not the luxury of time right now. Take care.

14/08/2012 at 2:34 pm

I’ll be thinking of you and yours, Misky. Take care and safe travels.

7. purplepeninportland

14/08/2012 at 4:00 pm

Caught me in a light mood today, so wistful is present without darkness.

8. barbara_

14/08/2012 at 8:41 pm

Well…It’s something. http://wp.me/sdTja-traveler

15/08/2012 at 8:16 am

Barbara, I always love your enthusiasm for your work. One of these days, I’ll arrive at your place to find something truly drafty, as opposed to a workable first draft.

9. wanda

14/08/2012 at 10:20 pm

so glad i got another go at the sentence acrostic. your thoughts welcome 98dayjourney.wordpress.com

15/08/2012 at 8:17 am

Lovely to see you, Wanda. I love this form. Will be over, shortly.

10. carolisle

14/08/2012 at 11:58 pm

Got a cold and eye infection my daughter has shingles so I looked to the light on my back porch and wrote a few word http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/tendrils-of-summer/

15/08/2012 at 8:19 am

Oh, carolisle, I am so sorry. You must feel wretched. And your poor daughter. I hope you marched straight to the pharmacy and got your shingles shot.

15/08/2012 at 12:20 pm

Poured this one outta me head, and I shall now shut-down.

15/08/2012 at 12:24 pm

Go! I hope all stays well, Misk.

21/08/2012 at 1:13 pm

Hi…Yes, me again… I did end up doing an acrostic tribute but it was a downer so I didn’t bother to link…I was thinking of this tryout when I chose acrostic for it suits the idea of a tribute well. Any way just in case you were wondering if I’d forgotten! 😉

21/08/2012 at 1:44 pm

You did seem to be missing. I love that you drop in to tell me. I like knowing!