Tuesday Try an Image Out

31 Jul

8:22 a.m. — Walnut Creek

We have internet; hello all. This will be my last post from Walnut Creek. Next time I appear, I shall be back in Atlanta.

Today we are going to play with a found image as inspiration. If the copyright is okay, let us see the image, or give us a link. The poem does not have to be obviously from the image, but it will be fun to see what started you down the track leading to your poem. What image? Why, winter, of course!

Find an image that, for you, speaks winter. It can be a photograph, a painting, or a drawing; literal, or abstract; obviously winter, or metaphorical. Decide what it is you want to do with the image, what truth about it you want to convey to us. Choose how, what form, you can best convey to us that image.

You do not have to mention the source image, at all. You might create a story; maybe, a memory will surface; or, you might describe the scene as if the speaker is in it and looking at it. You might decide you wish to include the source image in some way, and that is fine, too.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Remember, the image of winter only has to make sense to you, as an image. The poem is where you make something happen for your readers.

Post your poems, so we can read them. I’ll be able to read early ones and will catch up on the rest, once I am settled in Atlanta.

Happy writing.

Posted by on 31/07/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , ,

33 responses to “Tuesday Try an Image Out

1. cloudfactor5

31/07/2012 at 12:02 pm

I wish you a safe trip back to Atlanta !!

2. Annette Mickelson

31/07/2012 at 3:29 pm

I had already been scribbling thoughts related to winter on your last prompt so I kind of combined the two into this one. No specific picture to share,– more of an image around morning chores on a cold morning.

31/07/2012 at 3:58 pm

Annette, the image is clear already. I’m heading over now to read.

3. pmwanken

31/07/2012 at 5:29 pm

Hi there…I did a mash-up of proppts (just two this time). I had been thinking about “under our hats” (from the 100 days of Summer prompt on Facebook) and the idea of buried secrets…combine that with snowdrifts and voila: http://whenwordsescape.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/cold-hard-truth/ .

*hugs* and happy travels!

31/07/2012 at 5:54 pm

I like it, a mashup. Without even seeing the poem I like the idea of under our hats, buried secrets, and snow drifts. Heading over now.

We shall coordinate a wave at each other through phone text!

4. Irene

31/07/2012 at 8:22 pm

I read that as “heading over snow”.

sort of a winter poem

31/07/2012 at 8:25 pm

I rather like that, Irene! Your inner winter must be speaking. I’m heading over snow to you too.

5. purplepeninportland

31/07/2012 at 11:28 pm

In my usual dark image of winter, I have posted.

07/08/2012 at 11:38 am

Sara, I am heading over. As for dark, look at where you live!

01/08/2012 at 7:16 am

7. R.Ross

01/08/2012 at 10:02 am

Vines in winter in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia.

07/08/2012 at 11:39 am

The line, alone, is poetic, Ros.

8. pamela

01/08/2012 at 2:29 pm

Hi Margo, I am going to give this a try. I have many images floating round in my head, but lighthouses seem to be prominent.

07/08/2012 at 11:37 am

Lighthouses, Pamela… intriguing!

m

9. The Happy Amateur

02/08/2012 at 8:12 am

Hi! I hope I’m not going to be disqualified.. It’s not quite written to the prompt…but it was written on Tuesday, I did use an image, and as for winter – the man is wearing a scarf that is kind of wintery (also, I always imagine that he’s standing next to a burning fireplace.) So, I thought I’d risk posting a link:

07/08/2012 at 11:47 am

I’m proud of you, Sasha. You had a poem sparked by the prompt and went with it despite ‘not quite written to the prompt’ AND posted despite misgivings. That’s what I’m looking for! I’ll be over in a moment.

02/08/2012 at 3:55 pm

HELLO MARGO!!!! Yes, I’m yelling so you can hear me from my grandmother’s basement!! 😉 I’ve been mentally taking notes…

Sorting:

~One thing is if you’re helping individuals move who are from the depression era be sure to be prepared for many layers and layers of sorting…you will not one to miss the gems of treasure within…old photos and antiques amid senseless shrapnel of saved bread tags and junk mail.

a. Have specific boxes for saving these items
    b. try to keep momentum and only really save sentimental items

~Designate specific piles in garage for garbage/Goodwill and recycling…

~Do as much as you can in a day and try to make runs at intervals to keep ahead of the pile.

~Ultimately the way I intended to do it was to rent a dumpster and contact a Goodwill to have them come with a box truck to pick up all of it all at once then we’d only have to manage the recycling.

Packing:

~Only pack to bring just what they seem to use in their every day lives plus a few sentimental selections that they probably view daily for comfort.

~Added note…same with clothes…only bring what you see them use…

Moving in:

~Anything they may be lacking can be found if really needed after the move so don’t stress and remind them that they’ll have what they need.

~Be sure to have a pen ready while unpacking to quickly jot anything they may say they’re missing or that you think they may need for their new place…i.e. flashlights, nightlights, etc. may still be at the old house.

~Be ready to unpack them fairly quickly if they have issues with balance and need to get around their living space with a walker…it would be unfortunate to have a fall now…

a.bed made and every sock and washcloth in place would be ideal.

~Make sure they have all cleaning and toiletry items that they’ll need and grocery needs too…depending on their level of assisted living they may still be able to use their own kitchen and stay-in to eat if they choose.

So this is all that I’ve mentally noted…if you want you can copy/paste and erase if this comment is obnoxiously long when I post it! 😉

Was thinking of you and didn’t want to disappoint. :)’s to you Margo!

Oh, yeah…I managed an image tryout!! http://wordrustling.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/pulling-sepia-hues/

Hope you like it!!

• The Happy Amateur

02/08/2012 at 7:42 pm

I must have missed something…is you Mom moving, Margo?
      Hannah, I’m definitely going to copy and save your post! I don’t think my mother-in-law will ever move in with us, although we want her to; but if a miracle happens and she does, following your instructions is what we’re going to be doing!
      Also, your post will be an extra incentive for me to go through my house and throw out all the junk..It’s incredible how fast it accumulates, and it drives me absolutely out of my mind.

• Hannah Gosselin

02/08/2012 at 8:46 pm

Oh, Happy-Sasha!! I’m so glad that this will be a bit of help for you also!! I have been feeling the push around my own home now to sort and say good bye to extra baggage.

Thanks for stopping to talk with us…always nice to see you! 🙂

07/08/2012 at 11:57 am

Sasha, my mom is moving summer after next. When we move back to San Antonio, she’s moving down to be near us. She believes in making things as easy as possible for me, as long as she can. I took her brochures this summer, from several retirement communities and she is having fun narrowing down to one.

Re getting rid of the junk: DO IT! You will feel so… light and younger [really!].

07/08/2012 at 11:52 am

Hannah, you blessed [said with the accent on the -ed :-)] woman. What a fabulous list. I am both copying it to my files and leaving it here for people with elderly relatives, who wander through! My job has been made much easier by the fact that mom is doing the sorting and throwing out and has been for about five years [ever since the summer we had to go through her mom’s stuff!].

She is doing everything she can ahead of the move.

Now, your poem 🙂 and many :-)s.

11. val dering rojas

02/08/2012 at 9:41 pm

Hmmm. All this talk of Winter. I live in Los Angeles and am always complaining about the LACK of Winter! Yes, it gets cooler, and leaves fall and even change color on certain trees, but there are so many days during the season that are just like all of the rest….Even December has it’s share of 80 degree days…..So I’m thinking my Winter poem will be something that reflects this.

07/08/2012 at 11:58 am

Looking forward to it, Val. I have been to LA in the summer and fall, only.

• val dering rojas

07/08/2012 at 5:45 pm

I think Summer is pretty miserable mostly, but Spring and Fall are nice. Winter is just not much to me, kind of blah.

Great prompt though, I’m going to write Thursday when the kids go to their Dad’s house. 🙂

12. barbara_

06/08/2012 at 3:21 pm

A bit late. Okay, a lot late. You’re probably back home by now. Hope Atlanta has had rain.

07/08/2012 at 12:00 pm

Got back Sunday evening, Barbara. We have had some rain. Atlanta is not good at snagging passing storms, but all the clouds are keeping the heat down. I hope the weather is behaving up your way. Will be over, shortly.

13. PJF Sayers

07/08/2012 at 2:40 pm

Hi Margo, I am one week late. How in the world did that happen, oh well, here it is … Thanks again for being here.

“Ravenstones Begin to Fall”

07/08/2012 at 2:53 pm

Pamela, your timing is perfect. I am just getting to last week’s poems :-). I have already been to yours and back!