Tanka for We Write Poems

04 Jul

Thanks to the image, I had this written the same day WWP posted the prompt. No particular process other than writing what I saw.

Apprentice

He concentrates – he
only has an end piece of
canvas on which to
practice – He grips the badger-
hair brush, paints a stroke of blue.

Whether you are writing, or not, visit We Write Poems and read some tankas. They’re like little appetisers; you need several.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 04/07/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , ,

20 responses to “Tanka for We Write Poems

1. JulesPaige

04/07/2012 at 10:03 am

I completely forgot about the prompt photo… and just wrote my piece in honor of today…being July 4th. I have always liked, traditional American haiku, tanka and renga

My offering is here:

As always, I am glad you enjoy reading my tid-bits. Say Hi to your Mom for me. Well not that she knows who I am, but that she should enjoy good health and your fine company 🙂

04/07/2012 at 10:47 am

Jules, I did say hi to my mom who says hi back, despite being slightly confused. We’ve only had our first coffee out here.

• JulesPaige

06/07/2012 at 10:44 am

Surely your mom knows that you mention her – if not for anything else your summer visit? Kind of like an extended family in the expanding web world. Hope you are able to get some ocean breezes…it’s too stinken’ hot here at the moment. 🙂

2. Yousei Hime

04/07/2012 at 10:08 am

Well now I have to go see the image. 😉 Happy July 4th to you. Stay cool.

04/07/2012 at 10:46 am

Yousei! It’s a lovely image. Happy 4th to you, as well. I have a better chance of staying cool than most. Thank you California. Thank you marine layer. 🙂

• Yousei Hime

04/07/2012 at 11:01 am

I just looked at it, and if I wasn’t so far behind in reading emails (over 800) I’d write something for it. It is gorgeous and full of metaphor. I like what you did with it too. I feel sorry for everyone here on the east coast. It’s warmer in Michigan than down here in Texas (something seriously wrong with that). 😉

04/07/2012 at 11:04 am

Oy! Yousei, that’s killer. I had that happen last fall and will try hard to not let that happen again!

Last summer was tornado alley; this summer is heat hell; I hate to think about next summer.

• Yousei Hime

04/07/2012 at 11:09 am

Maybe it will be cooler than usual? Wishful thinking? Emails got out of control following my surgery, recovery, travel preparations, then traveling. My mother has no internet, so I was disconnected for several days while visiting with her–soooo worth it. Now I’m at my sister’s with no excuses. I’m using today to downsize. I’ll be delighted if I get it to 400 or less. 😀 Enjoy your visit with your mom. We’ll all be driving to see ours this weekend.

04/07/2012 at 11:20 am

Such an optimist, Yousei. We’ll go with that for now.

My accumulation happened when I left my computer for four months. Aieee! You’ll be surprised how fast you can wholesale your way through while downsizing. I used the opportunity to unsubscribe from a few things I had lived without or four months [not poetry stuff :-)]!

Happy visiting.

04/07/2012 at 12:39 pm

Although, Margo, your tanka was like one of those appetizers that doubles as a meal!! Mightily meaty! Well written…that last line…a stroke of blue…I feel the genius of a budding artist in that honest stroke!

04/07/2012 at 3:08 pm

Than you. Couldn’t have done it without that lovely image, Hannah. I feel the ‘budding artist’ in that child.

4. ladynimue

04/07/2012 at 4:05 pm

nice ! 🙂 i should try too ..

04/07/2012 at 4:41 pm

Thank you, lady N. You should try 🙂 The form is fun.

5. wordsandthoughtspjs

04/07/2012 at 5:51 pm

I like this, Margo. I love the image created here.

04/07/2012 at 6:31 pm

Thank you, Pamela. The poem will remind me of the original image, which I love.

6. Irene

05/07/2012 at 7:26 am

I like the idea of appetizers! The stroke of blue is a nice wrap up to your tanka, Margo.

05/07/2012 at 12:33 pm

Irene, mmm… pork dumplings, spring rolls… oh, you mean the tankas.

Thank you. That stroke of blue took me the longest, but I like it.

7. Veronica Roth

06/07/2012 at 10:20 am

Margo, I love your discipline of writing tankas. You’ve captured the nervous moment of the first stroke on canvas. I think I was 13 or 14 when my aunt gave me a canvas of my own after years of only allowing me to paint her backdrops. Remember feeling proud of “officially an artist” status and being frightened to make a wrong mark. (Oils take so very long to dry if you muck up…but they sand off the canvas) Thanks for taking me back.

06/07/2012 at 12:54 pm

Taking you back, Veronica? Woman, I wouldn’t lose you. Keep wandering. I’m here.