Wordle Response to The Sunday Whirl #60

09 Jun

No, I am not quite gone. I am hoping that if I post this now, I can shoot over to The Sunday Whirl tomorrow [remember the blog won’t be current until tomorrow]  and post my link, before unplugging the computer. Then, later in the week, I can return to visit the rest of you. That’s the plan. If you are reading this, I was successful thus far.

Studio

Great stone bluffs stood, faint in the background,
and on the riverbank, the sketch of a willow
and mud flats daubed thickly. A crawl of smoke
trickled upwards from the Corona —  balanced
between the tubes of crimson lake and cobalt —
Two sailing boats bobbed, tethered to trees.
The brush trembled, then darted forward
to nail the vessels’ shadows, like a stain on the canvas.

The process for story was fun for me. I was looking over the words, and ‘brush’ and ‘trembled’ stood out. Somewhere… and then I remembered: a Ngaio Marsh mystery, an image similar to that. The rest of the words began to fill the canvas. I was stuck with corona for a bit. I like how I overcame that little problem.

Happy wordling and reading. I shall catch up.

Posted by on 09/06/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

59 responses to “Wordle Response to The Sunday Whirl #60

1. teri

09/06/2012 at 5:27 pm

Pop! We finish and post within the same minute… how odd.

The painter met with success and so did you. There is something akin to blessing watching those that create. You have captured this. You have also found the fun .. fun that can occur when we least expect it.

Have a great summer!! xo teri

09/06/2012 at 5:30 pm

Teri, I’m not sure that odd anymore! Thank you for your words. I hope your summer is wonderful, too. xom

2. vivinfrance

10/06/2012 at 5:57 am

Lovely interpretation. Corona was difficult for me, too, but I didn’t resolve it as well as you did – it sticks out like a sore thumb in my silly story.

15/06/2012 at 12:25 pm

Hi Viv! I finally have computer connection again. I’ll be over to read the poem, when I’ve caught up on comments.

3. drpkp

10/06/2012 at 7:54 am

“two tethered boats bobbed” …. that image along with the knowledge that you are “untethered” stays with me…. lovely…

15/06/2012 at 2:16 pm

Thank you for the kind comment, especially me as ‘untethered’!

4. Daydreamertoo

10/06/2012 at 8:16 am

You painted a lovely picture with the words Margo. An artist couldn’t have done better. 🙂

5. Traci B

10/06/2012 at 8:35 am

I enjoyed watching your painting take shape through the poem, Margo. Well wordled. Enjoy your summer!

15/06/2012 at 12:27 pm

Traci, I enjoyed the creation! Thanks for the summer wishes and I send them back your way.

6. brenda w

10/06/2012 at 9:17 am

Margo, the imagery is strong in this piece. You bring it to life with color and your brush. I keep getting these ocean cravings….maybe it’s a sign.

15/06/2012 at 12:29 pm

Thank you, Brenda.

My ideal place is on the side of a mountain, within the sight and sound of the ocean, and maybe, a stream near by 🙂 Maybe a patch of desert I can get to quickly…

7. Laurie Kolp

10/06/2012 at 9:56 am

You painted a vivid picture through your words… loved it!

15/06/2012 at 12:30 pm

Thank you, Laurie. Appreciate it! I hope to get around to reading poems when I have caught up on comments.

8. Mary

10/06/2012 at 10:02 am

What a lovely scene, Margo. Enjoyed ” balanced
    between the tubes of crimson lake and cobalt ”
    and feel like this is a scene crying out to be painted!!

15/06/2012 at 12:32 pm

Mary, your favourite lines are always my favourite lines! Now that you mention it, I would love to see this as a sketch… maybe water colour!

10/06/2012 at 10:02 am

I close my eyes and envision the scene. Painted or real, both are quite lovely. I stuck in corona in as a name…Sometimes tricky words end up that way 🙂 Safe travels.
    My wordle is here:

15/06/2012 at 12:33 pm

Hi Jules! We have made it to San Antonio and are getting everything connected :-). I know what you mean by using difficult words as a name. I use them in titles!

10. whimsygizmo

10/06/2012 at 10:44 am

Beautiful, Margo. Especially love this spill:
    “balanced
    between the tubes of crimson lake and cobalt”

Happy traveling!

15/06/2012 at 12:34 pm

Thank you, de. I played with that more than the other lines and enjoyed it!

11. Susan

10/06/2012 at 10:47 am

Thank you for you this wonderful visit to the pallet in the studio surrounded by its canvases and potential, Thank you too for this best of all possible introductions to Wordle Prompts, which I had never seen before!

15/06/2012 at 12:36 pm

Susan, thank you! Welcome to the world of wordles. They are my favourite form of exercise! I hope we see you on Sundays.

12. nan

10/06/2012 at 12:04 pm

Chock full of descriptive imagery, and yet tight and concise. I too found the brush to canvas… only the paint for me stained the skin. Isn’t it fun to see what words pull / push each of us? As always, your poetry is a pleasure to read.

15/06/2012 at 12:39 pm

Nan, one of my favourite parts of writing these is wondering how others will go and then reading what they write and how they are similar and dissimilar. I look forward to catching up and reading yours.

13. markwindham

10/06/2012 at 1:10 pm

very good, I like the capture of the painter — what is accomplished thus far and the excitement of getting the next part done — like the shadow as a stain too. Enjoy the trip!

15/06/2012 at 12:41 pm

Thank you, Mark. I shall be over to read yours soon. NOLA was wonderful. We thank you for the breakfast recommendation! My favourite, though, were the oysters. I managed 18 and considered another half dozen. So good.

• markwindham

15/06/2012 at 1:15 pm

hhmmm…oysters good. Could use a dozen or so myself about now. With the cold beer to wash them down with of course.

15/06/2012 at 2:05 pm

There are few better combinations in the world of food and drink.

14. Peggy Goetz

10/06/2012 at 3:44 pm

Fun to read you well-painted scene! Hope you are having a good travel.

15/06/2012 at 12:41 pm

Everything going well, Peggy. Thank you!

15. wordsandthoughtspjs

10/06/2012 at 4:38 pm

Lovely, Margo. When I was reading this I forgot it was a wordle.

Hoping your travels are safe!

15/06/2012 at 12:43 pm

My favourite compliment, Pamela. I shall come find yours in a bit.

We are safely in San Antonio, where we park a while. I hope you are having a lovely relaxing time.

16. 1sojournal

10/06/2012 at 5:54 pm

Lovely feeling and imagery here, Margo. It is wonderful to sit quietly and watch a painter at work. And I am a lover of colors. Thanks for this one and hope you enjoy your trip,

Elizabeth

15/06/2012 at 12:46 pm

Thank you, Elizabeth. Watching a painter could be a form of therapy. I find it calming.

17. Jo Ann J. A. Jordan

10/06/2012 at 6:08 pm

I love the way you sketch a picture with words. Very well done.

18. Marianne

10/06/2012 at 6:43 pm

Love this, Margo! You have done a splendid job using the words. Bravo for your use of corona: “A crawl of smoke trickled upwards from the Corona.”

15/06/2012 at 12:47 pm

Thank you, Marianne. I was tickled to think of it. I love that some people also thought of Corona beer!

10/06/2012 at 8:33 pm

Wow…Margo, you paint such a vivid image here!! I can here the lapping water along the shore, one the trees and on the hulls of the boats. I really enjoyed this!! Your details are revealed so thoughtfully! Excellent!

20. pmwanken

10/06/2012 at 8:43 pm

Ha – my eyes played tricks on me. Twice I read “riverwalk” — maybe that was in anticipation of your trip!? 🙂 Loved your use of “nail” and “stain,” margo.

15/06/2012 at 12:52 pm

Heh heh! It’s good to be in SA, Paula!

21. sonofwalt

10/06/2012 at 11:55 pm

Nicely done! And now I have to dig out a Ngaio Marsh novel again. I haven’t read a mystery by her in years, but I have several on my shelf. Glad to know I’m not the only poet who reads those. 🙂

15/06/2012 at 12:55 pm

Thank you, sonofwalt. English [I know, NZ] mysteries have been my favourite genre since pre-teen years. As I never remember who did it, I can reread as often as I like. I had to keep quiet when I taught English lit as I could hardly say I don’t enjoy the classics [except to teach — then they are fun], or even contemporary novels. Nope, give me a mystery!

• sonofwalt

16/06/2012 at 12:47 pm

I’m curious if you like what I like about them. I like to be fooled fairly. I feel disappointed if I figure it out. I prefer to see how I was wrong, and all the clues that the author so cleverly laid out that I missed. It’s like how it’s less fun finding someone in Hide and Seek, than it is to have that someone jump out from behind some bush I had already inspected and say, “surprise!”

16/06/2012 at 1:37 pm

I agree, sonof… [already a nickname :-)]. I like Sayers, Tey, P. D. James, and many others, for that reason. They are smart writers and good writers. They all lead me down the wrong path [and if I follow their path, I should, by now, know I am wrong. Ah, the human brain and its capacity for self-deceit.] and they are clever about how they do it.

22. barbara_

11/06/2012 at 7:37 am

Serene. (though as someone raised with bass boats an impounded waters, I’m nervous with those sailboats and trees. ) Thanks for reminding me of Naigo Marsh, and that whole subspecies of not-entirely-cozy mysteries. May be what I need.

• barbara_

11/06/2012 at 7:41 am

Ngaio

15/06/2012 at 12:57 pm

Barbara, I hope you are having/did have a wonderful time at Kenyon. I can’t wait to hear how you did, what you think, and if it’s worth it.

My mysteries are where I flee when stressed, tired, beset… I have a huge collection and love them dearly.

23. gladiuspoeticus

11/06/2012 at 6:37 pm

your words paint strong images of imagination. from my own experience i find that the fewer the words the stronger the image. i like to top it off with an open ended thought to keep the reader’s mind guessing.

15/06/2012 at 1:06 pm

Kenneth, thank you. I came to visit as your blog name sparks curiosity. I love your description of the title ‘Gladius Poeticus’.

24. Walt Wojtanik

11/06/2012 at 10:19 pm

Great write, great process. Well done, Margo!

15/06/2012 at 12:58 pm

Thanks, Walt. I hope to get around to everyone else’s poem soon!

25. hypercryptical

12/06/2012 at 11:45 am

Lovely artwork with words.

Anna :o]

15/06/2012 at 12:59 pm

Thank you, Anna. I like how you phrase that!

26. Mr. Walker

13/06/2012 at 11:18 am

I liked the view of this studio. And I like what you did with corona – between the tubes of paint.

Richard

15/06/2012 at 1:00 pm

Thank you, Richard. I enjoyed these words.

27. Tumblewords

13/06/2012 at 9:59 pm

Well done – the use of corona was truly inspired!

15/06/2012 at 1:00 pm