WordPress Rant @ Your Serendipity

17 May

Hello, all. Welcome to Wordbook, or is that Facepress? I am a fairly placid sort, but one of the things that ticks me off is when a large-scale decision affecting my day-to-day interactions is made behind my back, especially when it appears to be an unpopular decision. WordPress’s latest move with comment follow is strongly reminiscent of the many Facebook ambushes that have taken place. While Facebook seems to be mellowing, WordPress is gearing up.

When I started with WordPress a couple of years ago, I loved everything about it and found the people who ran it to be friendly and helpful and apparently truthful. That appears to have gone by the wind. Many of you have been affected by their latest move and have found their inboxes filled with emails from the different blogs you follow. For context, we go to Amy Barlow Liberatore, over at Sharp Little Pencil, who writes:

Sorry, poem later – first, help for ALL my WordPress buddies!

We have located where that sneaky unemployed blockhead GWB hid the comment box check that has everyone on WordPress steamed.

On your Dashboard, left column, click “Settings.”
Under “Settings” menu, click “Discussions.”
On “Discussions” page, scroll WAY, WAY down… to just above Avatars section. You’ll find some checked boxes, including “Allow: Follow Comments.” NOTE: This has been changed since Amy’s efforts  to help, to: Show a ‘follow comments’‘ option in the comment form”.

Uncheck that box.

Nobody really follows someone else’s comments, in my experience. But clicking this means that option (if someone DOES want updates on a comment they made) will disappear. That just means if they are hungry for your feedback, they will take the time to come back to your blog. Never happened to me because when there is a juicy comment, I copy my response to a personal email to the commenter and we continue the discussion there.

Hope this helps. And, as someone says, at least we don’t have those damned illegible CAPTCHAs. COPY THIS POST OR FORWARD MY URL TO EVERYONE WHO USES WORDPRESS… that is, if you want to! Peace. I need a nap now. Love to all, Amy

Margo back. Things have revved up a bit with WordPress claiming that tons of people have commented how much they love the new system. I am finding this hard to believe. Amy has sent out an email which some of you [who follow her] will have received. She suggests that if we feel strongly, we leave a comment. I have just done so. I have no hope of WordPress rescinding. Big corporations rarely do, but I feel better.

Will I leave WordPress? Unfortunately, no. I like WordPress better than Blogger, where I started my blogging. It suits me. What I may do is move out and start my own website, something I had somewhere in my future.

Whew! If you are still here, thank you for the indulgence. If you have questions about this, ask. Comments, of course… even if you think this is the neatest WordPress action since sliced bread.

Let me leave you with something happy: Curio issue #6 is out, so take yourself over to read familiar and unfamiliar poets, at Joseph’s and Tessa’s lovely journal.

I will see you tomorrow for the week’s roundup of prompts; next Tuesday for a prompt on ‘what is self?‘; and next Thursday, for whatever comes along.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 17/05/2012 in writing

Tags: , , , , ,

32 responses to “WordPress Rant @ Your Serendipity

17/05/2012 at 9:08 am

Hmmm…I noticed something a foot. But why is it that only half of the blogs seem to have that? Well what I mean is at the bottom of every blog you visit there is the choice to follow via email or not the comments. Two boxes. Some are automatically checked – I just un-check them – well that is once I figured out that a good portion of them were coming up pre-checked. Once the box is unchecked then you don’t get that extra mail. But there doesn’t seem to be a way to alter it if you forget. So I just end up deleting the excess ‘mail’ that I don’t need.

No disrespect intended but I don’t need every other persons comment on a particular post. Just the response to mine from the author. I happen to like the little pop up that does occur in that comment thingy (new posts top right) in your information bar that tells you if you have 1-10 comments that pops up in every word press site yours and anyone else that you happen to be in that is also a word press follower.

If you tell me where to voice my opinion that I don’t like that auto check – I’ll be happy to tell them that I’m not a fan.

17/05/2012 at 9:13 am

Jules, the blogs that don’t have it have gone into their settings and unchecked it so their readers don’t have to worry about it. I think I have done that…

I love the popup comment thingy, because then we don’t need the email notifications.

The link is in my post where ‘leave a comment’ is in red. Click on it and you will be taken to the WordPress article and the comments. There are about 55, so you’ll need to scroll. You’ll find me down there!

• vivinfrance

17/05/2012 at 9:51 am

The reason some of them are automatically unchecked is that – thanks to Amy’s research – many of us have disabled the whole follow comments procedure in our own blogs by going to dashboard>settings>discussions>right near the bottom uncheck the three “follow” boxes. If you only uncheck one, it doesn’t work.

17/05/2012 at 9:54 am

That’s interesting ViV. I didn’t realise all three boxes have to be unchecked. Will do so now.

• julespaige

17/05/2012 at 10:52 am

I guess it only works for the one site (at a time)…
        Thanks Viv – I will look into that as soon as I have a few more moments.

17/05/2012 at 10:57 am

Jules, that’s because it’s up to the site owner, not the visitor, to change the settings.

• julespaige

17/05/2012 at 11:04 am

Going to do that as soon as possible – Son of Son just had breakfast. I was able to leave a comment stating my displeasure and intentions while he was eating. I didn’t see your comment though.

17/05/2012 at 11:12 am

My comment is awaiting moderation. Uh huh. Actually, they all are.

• julespaige

17/05/2012 at 11:24 am

…and the plot thickens… but I was able to disable that!

• julespaige

17/05/2012 at 11:07 am

Done! Thanks for your help.

2. b_y

17/05/2012 at 9:26 am

I told them i thought they were behaving like better homes and gardens. (That whole series of mags makes me crazy. I will enter online contests from the wrong box and wind up being subscribed. a magazine comes, a bill comes, i return the bill. rinse and repeat)

17/05/2012 at 9:49 am

Ah yes, Barbara, the old bait and switch. I would love to see their faces when they read that.

3. vivinfrance

17/05/2012 at 9:53 am

I commented this morning, Margo, but it is still awaiting moderation. I’ve just left another comment complaining about the lack of “contact form” which prevents us emailing a real person directly. That also is in moderation.

17/05/2012 at 9:55 am

ViV, They will have their work cut out this week. I think they have opened a proverbial worm can.

4. Annette Mickelson

17/05/2012 at 1:53 pm

Thanks for re-posting the instructions on how to disable the comment annoying deal. I’m off to do that now. I switched to WordPress recently due to frustration with Blogger… looks like they are all annoying and heavy handed with changes. grrrr.

17/05/2012 at 1:58 pm

Annette, I have to remind myself that their intentions are good. They have to be. They don’t want to drive us away. And, I do love WordPress, other than this thing. Let me know if you still have a problem because I found another place we might need to uncheck.

5. Mary

17/05/2012 at 4:11 pm

Well, as one who blogs with Blogger but who does have a gravatar and an inactive WP account (which has sat unused since Day 1 but I still keep it), another thing I don’t like about WP is now I can no longer comment using my Blogger account. I MUST sign in and comment using my WP account. I find that irritating. This changed about the beginning of April, I think. WP seems to have become very proprietary.

I do agree about those words in Blogger that one has to decipher being a pain in the neck. Thank goodness most people have rid themselves of that hoop to jump, but there are still some people who have not…sigh. I have never seen a blog yet that has been invaded by so called robots these are supposed to prevent.

17/05/2012 at 4:18 pm

Mary, if I were a Blogger blogger that would drive me nuts. You are right when you say WP is getting a little too territorial. I wish I liked Blogger more, especially as I realise it’s pretty much a subjective thing.

You make a very good point about the robots!

17/05/2012 at 4:32 pm

I started out on WordPress…easy enough for one with lack of tech ability. But I added a blogspot account just to be able to add comments. So WordPress is for short stuff and blogspot for longer pieces.The annoying thing about that is when I want a comment back folks are not always led to the site I want them to follow and don’t always take the time to see the links that I have set up on each account referring the other. So that is one of the reasons I add a direct link to the particular piece – I’m trying to make it easier for those who would like to see the piece I want them too. So far neither site has messed up that ability (to post links from opposing accounts) at least so far.

7. Catherine

17/05/2012 at 6:46 pm

I like the idea of replying by personal e-mail to the commenter, but I don’t seem to be able to do that on blogger, since most people seem to have their blogger accounts set to hide their e-mail details. Sounds as if this is not the case on WordPress?
    I’m intrigued that the person who has both a blogger account and a WordPress account has to sign in to comment on WordPress. That sounds a bit strange, I wondered if that meant I couldn’t comment but it seems that I can do so easily using my blogger URL

18/05/2012 at 7:40 am

Hi Catherine. As far as I can tell, I can never find email addresses on Blogger, but I can usually find email addresses on WP. People can choose, I believe. Also, when someone comments, in WP, their email is usually shown.
      The technicalities of the commenting process on WP seems, I think, more difficult than it i, because we don’t know everything we need to. I would love to sit in a room with someone who knows and have the whole thing spelled out, preferably in words of one syllable.
      I may have to think about having a discussion on this for one of my Thursday posts, asking everyone to describe their process.
      Welcome 🙂

8. Sharp Little Pencil

18/05/2012 at 1:36 am

@Mary, I’m sorry, I didn’t know that Blogspot folks have to sign in using a WordPress ID. That is further mismanagement on their part. I do love WordPress, their widgets, their lack of Captcha codes which are illegible… but WordPress is really feeling their oats and may end up hoisted by their own petard! Also, many of my comments to fellow WP bloggers don’t “Take.” And ALL our critical comments are apparently awaiting ‘moderation.’ If they don’t get published soon, which the silly fawning comments slip right through, I will have an enormous (T. Rex) bone to pick!!

Margo, thanks for joining me in this activism, ditto Viv and several others who are passing links and sharing information. I’ve received some pretty snotty emails from WordPressers who believe I am being intolerant and using “Jesus” terms, which is offensive, but, you know… it takes all kinds! I’m a trouble magnet anyway!! Peace to all, Amy

• Hannah Gosselin

18/05/2012 at 9:46 pm

Amy, cheers to you for all that you’ve put into trying to remedy this. I am a neat freak about my inbox (sort of to a certain extent only because I like to see what I’m dealing with for the day), and having the flood of comment updates has actually been rather disconcerting for me! Thank you to Viv and to you Margo for passing this along here, too. 🙂

9. sonofwalt

18/05/2012 at 1:33 pm

Oh, this is very helpful. I noticed my inbox being flooded despite previous settings, and it was on my to-do list to figure out how to change settings. Thank you for helping me help my followers!

18/05/2012 at 1:47 pm

sonofwalt, I’m happy to help — let me know if you are still being swamped. This hydra has several heads.

• sonofwalt

18/05/2012 at 1:54 pm

I saw vivinfrance’s reply about the three boxes, and it appears I have things fixed for my visitors. For now, it seems we must be more careful at seeing what remains checked when we comment elsewhere. It might take a few days of cleanup. Teamwork is cool, no? 🙂

18/05/2012 at 1:59 pm

sonofwalt, teamwork is tres cool, and this group is a wonderful group for support, telling it like it is, support, working together, and did I mention, support?

• sonofwalt

18/05/2012 at 2:12 pm

Yes, you did.Very supportive of you, I might add.

10. mareymercy

18/05/2012 at 7:17 pm

Thanks for this!

19/05/2012 at 8:42 am

You are welcome, mareymercy. It’s good to see you.