Response to Reverie Eight: a cast of thousands

02 Mar

Yes, it’s me again. One foot out the door and flinging words together.This is in response to Joseph Harker’s Reverie Eight: a cast of thousands. Stop by to read what is there, or to try the prompt yourself.

This is me, putting my money where my mouth is. I seem to remember, lo, these many weeks past, that I was pushing putting up for scrutiny anything we had arrived at, in response to Joseph’s prompts, no matter how rough and drafty we thought it. Here I go. Having been born to revise, I changed the order of some lines and substituted ‘crosshatching’ for ‘crisscrossing’ as I typed.

I’m answering the nature part of the prompt [no trees in the coffee shop.]. The red tree is very much how I see my mother. As soon as I saw it, I linked the two, but haven’t decided, yet, on structure for the poem.

pulled for revision

Anything that strikes you, do say. Inspiration, or the next nudge, comes from everywhere.

Now, I’m gone. Really.

Posted by on 02/03/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

19 responses to “Response to Reverie Eight: a cast of thousands

1. ladynimue

02/03/2012 at 5:47 pm

I like this a lot .. 🙂

02/03/2012 at 5:50 pm

Thank you, Lady N. I appreciate that 🙂

2. MiskMask

03/03/2012 at 3:38 am

Forest fire is what I thought when I saw that pinned photo. You’ve certainly captured it well with a sunset though. What strikes me however is that you saw serenity and peace at the end of a day, and I’m seeing fiery destruction.

3. Irene

03/03/2012 at 5:09 am

Yay for the red-leafed tree. I like the scene and feeling. Off you fly Margo.

03/03/2012 at 6:30 am

Thank you, Irene. Thirty minutes and out the door!

4. markwindham

03/03/2012 at 11:23 am

Oh Sure, post and run.

Knowing the tie in to your mom made this one for me, that attitude of refusing to give in to age. Reminds me of a great aunt of mine that used to go volunteer with the ‘old folks’, she was 89 at the time. I like the idea of noticing something new in the familiar.
    I had forgotten about the nature aspect of the prompt, gave me the push I needed for the character I had been thinking about..

03/03/2012 at 1:18 pm

I’m loving the expression you use and appreciate the internal monologue you produced before your piece, revealing your revision in the works. Personal, relevant and helpful. I like that you use crosshatching rather than crisscrossing, kind of brings an arty sketch feeling to the poem. 🙂 Really enjoyed this, Margo!

10/03/2012 at 10:42 pm

Hi Hannah. Sorry for the late response. I have been away from the computer. The only problem with that is catching up! I appreciate your comments. I liked the sound of crosshatching and when I double-checked its meaning, I decided what the hawks were doing fit. Can anything be more fun than writing? Okay, maybe some things, but I do love doing this 🙂

• Hannah Gosselin

11/03/2012 at 8:20 am

I’m with you, writing is SO fun and made even more so by those little word surprises that come about! Thanks for this, Margo! Good day to you!

6. vivinfrance

04/03/2012 at 7:19 am

No brickbats due for this one, Margo. It sums up a favourite view I have from my bedroom. Autumn is Good – vegetale or human. It preludes the pause before rebirth.

10/03/2012 at 10:16 pm

My favourite season, ViV. Always has been.

7. Joseph Harker

04/03/2012 at 3:00 pm

Glad that you tossed this in before your journey… I think it’s perfectly balanced, just the right size of a poem. Dare I say: it might look good in Curio? 😉

10/03/2012 at 10:15 pm

Good God, yes, please. Dare. I have sat here for the first three issues, reading the poems, reading my poems, hemming and hawing and not sure. I shall reread and possibly revise a bit. I promise not to revise the life out of it!

8. wordsandthoughtspjs

09/03/2012 at 11:34 pm

Yummy, Margo.

9. Peggy Goetz

10/03/2012 at 6:58 pm

I like what you did with this. I tossed one in as well.

10/03/2012 at 10:12 pm

Thank you, Peggy. I just got back from a week away from the computer. Will get to your poem, hopefully tomorrow.