Your Serendipity at Thursday Thoughts

09 Feb

Hello everyone. Come in, come in. I have an assortment for you to browse, today.

1] First up is Julie Catherine: Muse-Sings, Poetry & Art of Julie Catherine, who says:

I will be doing a special Valentine’s Day posting that will be released February 11th.

I’m planning to do a Humor poetry post once a month – I’ve designed a nifty medal to give to anyone who posts a humorous poem in my blog, probably the second week of each month.  And my special Feature blog is a monthly one too, that I post on the first of the month — I have guests planned up to June right now, and others that are in the works, but am always looking for new and interesting people to feature.

2] Joseph and Tessa have Curio Issue #3 live. Hard to believe isn’t it? As a measure of time passing that one seems to catch my attention. We are told on the main page: the changes we threatened alluded to last time have yet to come to fruition. But fret not: they will be here soon, as the year has eased up a bit and we need to grow into a more developed magazine. Intriguing. Breath bated, we await. Meanwhile visit Curio to read the latest issue, and remember to submit your own poetry for consideration.

3] This week’s interview, at Poets United, is with Bren, who writes as Daydreamer Too at Soul Speak. Sherry, with her inimitable style, gives us another wonderful ‘life of a poet’. If you know Bren you will want to read this, and if you don’t know Bren you will want to read this. She has had, and has, an incredible life.

4] While trawling the Internet, I came across a video of Margaret Atwood giving a talk to an audience comprised of techies, at the ‘Tools of Change’ Conference, 2011,  in NYC. The talk addresses some of the problems that come with change and is titled “The Publishing Pie: An Author’s View”. You will need thirty-three minutes, so grab your coffee [I realise there are other things, but this is my world], or set your laptop up wherever you are putzing around, and have a listen. I love to watch Atwood, so I had to go the coffee route… three times. I was fascinated by what she said, how she said it, and the reactions of her audience.

5] Finally, do I have a toy for you! If you have not heard of Pinterest you should visit. I am giving you the link to my boards. Ignore, or not, the personal ones and have a glance at the boards I have set up for my writing. I know: What are you talking about? Tell you what, take a momentary break. Visit. I’ll be here… Yes, OMG! Those who wish to play, let me know. I think joining is still through invitations. I am happy to send out as many as they will allow. Warning: Browsing new material on the site, never mind stuff on the rest of the Internet, is terribly, terribly addictive [I even used two adverbs].

Quite a diversity for you to play with. Enjoy and I shall see you tomorrow for the week’s roundup of prompts; Tuesday for a non-place related prompt  [form? self? crazy easy?]; and next Thursday for more announcements, if we have any.

Happy browsing, everyone.

Posted by on 09/02/2012 in poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , ,

17 responses to “Your Serendipity at Thursday Thoughts

1. Joseph Harker

09/02/2012 at 11:02 am

Perhaps I should have been less mysterious about it. The changes will be pretty mundane, actually. 🙂

09/02/2012 at 11:23 am

Hey! You chose the language. Besides, people love to see changes [so long as it’s not their lives], mundane or not — and, if you don’t mention the mundaneity, they won’t notice 🙂 Your statement was fun and that’s why I repeated it. For heaven’s sake don’t get mundane with your announcements. We have fun when you have fun.

2. Connie

09/02/2012 at 12:21 pm

Thank you for the various links- I will definitely be viewing the Margaret Atwood one when I have 33 minutes and my tea 🙂

Loving what I’m learning!!

09/02/2012 at 12:23 pm

Tea is good, Connie!

I learn it too, so I am definitely loving this.

3. markwindham

09/02/2012 at 1:29 pm

how am I ever supposed to get any work done? Hmmm? Tea sounds good though…

09/02/2012 at 1:33 pm

Oh well, that’s the challenge, isn’t it? Mmmm, might be coffee time.

4. wordsandthoughtspjs

09/02/2012 at 1:32 pm

I love Margaret Atwood. Thanks for an excuse for a break 🙂

09/02/2012 at 1:34 pm

Absolutely my pleasure, Pamela! I love distracting all you hard working people. Not that I am not hard working…

I used to teach A Handmaid’s Tale. Fabulous novel to teach.

5. JulesPaige

09/02/2012 at 4:17 pm

Hmm. Was I supposed to ask you for that invite to Pin? I am now on a ‘waiting list’. I love the bunny… but egads $1600. I think I’ll have to try and make my own. What oh just what have you lured me into???? *giggle* ~J

09/02/2012 at 5:30 pm

You should have the invite now. Go nuts!

6. Mary

10/02/2012 at 7:30 am

I know some on Facebook who are on Pinterest. I can go to their boards any time they do something there, even though I do not have Pinterest. Perhaps at some point the concept will become relevant; but I don’t need to see what shoes people like, a recipe they want to cook, etc. And I would feel awkward having anyone be able to see things I would pin.

I looked at yours, Margo, and am wondering how you plan to use these boards as far as your writing? I think I am missing something.

10/02/2012 at 12:35 pm

Mary, I’m still playing, but this is how I envision it helping the most: the board I have on Sensory items is particularly useful in that I can collect things that will help me articulate how an aspect of something looks, or feels. Most of what I am collecting is a close up view. My Research and Towards Poetry boards are things where I have poems in draft stages, or ideas I want to write about. The images are aspects I may not have thought about, or have given me new paths to wander down. The Prompt boards help me with directions. I also foresee making a board and sending the group to the board as part of a prompt.

The rest of what you see is me going nuts when I see something striking, or fun. You can choose to only follow certain people and avoid the shoes and recipes. You can also make the boards from things you come across on any site. Does that make sense, some?

• Mary

10/02/2012 at 1:35 pm

Makes sense, Margo. I will have to spend a bit of time with it, I think, to see how useful it will be to me. If I would use it, I would not want it open to the ‘world’ either. I would like to be able to choose who follows my stuff. Do you know if THIS is possible?

10/02/2012 at 2:14 pm

I have been visiting Pinterest to look for answers. As far as I can tell, you cannot keep someone from following you, but you can turn off visibility to twitter, Facebook, and search engines. Other than being told you have four followers, you won’t know anyone is looking at your boards.

You can also choose not to let anyone contribute to your boards [I’m not sure why anyone would want this. I guess with a group project, it would be like sharing a document.]. You can’t keep them from commenting but you won’t see that on your boards. The only place that appears is on the image in the big pool. You can turn off all notifications. In essence, if you collect your images from around the net, you never have to play with Pinterest’s pool and can stay with your boards.

I have seen people use Pinterest for projects. Someone is collecting their wedding ideas and that is a clever use for it. I usually look at the boards of the people I follow, which are collected in one place. If I am avoiding doing something I’ll browse the general pool.

• Mary

10/02/2012 at 7:07 pm

Margo, I have joined Pinterest. I will try to find you from there.
            Or you can find Me. It is confusing to me yet.

10/02/2012 at 8:27 pm

If we look for each other we are bound to bump into each other. Enter my name in the search bar upper right.

If I have any complaint it’s that we are left pretty much to our own devices. Not many answers. But part of that is that Pinterest is brand new.

Um, Mary, do I know your last name? You don’t have to give it to me if you want to try finding me first.

maro