Community Centre? Thursday Thoughts

05 Jan

Hello all. If I may, I am going to write out loud at you for a bit, while I try to clarify what I think Thursday’s posting can become. I envision a clearinghouse, something similar to Friday’s roundup of weekly prompts, but Thursday would post announcements from any of you [and myself]. These announcements might be of [1] a newsletter someone has found:

Diane Lockward of the blog Blogalicious [you can resist looking?], puts out a monthly newsletter, one I look forward to with anticipation. Besides a classy layout, the letter looks, sounds, and feels personal. Each letter combines all, or most, of the following: a poem and a connected prompt. Here is an excerpt: The first thing that strikes me about the poem is its long list. I love list poems, so let’s do one this month. For the first draft begin as Woloch does with the words, “And these are my ____________: In the blank space substitute the topic of your list poem, e.g., virtues, wishes, sins, secrets, transgressions, dreams. Then to get started, brainstorm a long list. Work quickly. Let the list be varied.

Also included are a book recommendation; a craft [as in the craft of writing — I first thought scrapbooking, quilting…] tip, which might be a tip from another poet, or a book review; useful links; and maybe a video.

[2] Maybe someone has discovered a website, or prompt site, worth checking out, like Lauren Camp’s Which Silk Shirt. The link I have given you is to a particular post which has an interesting idea: The other day as I was driving past the field at the bottom of my street, bemoaning my busy schedule and how there isn’t enough time to write, I realized that there is always time for at least one line. And looking, there was one line in the field in front of me… and then another as I turned the corner. Visit to read the rest of her post and to explore.

[3] You might want to share submission opportunities. Joseph Harker and Tessa Racht are already looking for submissions for the third issue of their ezine, Curio. Visit and read the first issue. The second is being put together and should be out soon.

The writing community of Writing Our Way Home, lovingly tended by Fiona Robin and Kaspa Thompson, has started their January Stone a Day. If you don’t know about this, visit. Like Lauren Camp’s idea that we can all write a line a day, WOWH‘s Stone a Day posits that we can write that line as a small poem, or leave it as a line. It’s only the 5th of January. You have only missed five lines. Jump in the river.

[4] You may wish to announce that you have a chapbook out, or know of a chapbook you think people might like, especially if it’s from someone we know  and want to support. For example, Joseph Harker has his first chapbook, Greeks Bearing Gifts for sale at LuLu. If you go to the link, you can read a couple of his poems that are in the chapbook.My copy is in the air!

[5] What else? That’s for you to decide. The idea is not that I go out and hunt down items, so much as we all make note of items we want to share with the larger community [not that my reach goes to that many people, but it might extend to a whole other set of people]. You might not have a blog where you make announcements, or you do, but want other audiences. Either way, I would love to see what this can do.

Every week? Not necessarily. If I don’t have, or receive, announcements, then no. If I have one, I will post.

What happens to Thoughts? When I have them, I assure you, I will continue writing posts on them.

I don’t know if Thursday Thoughts will work as a title for my concept, so if anyone out there thinks, She should call it X, feel free to let me know. Hummm — Community Clearinghouse? Maybe.

I shall see you tomorrow for the first Friday Freeforall of the year. Bring on the prompts. Then, Tuesday to Tryout a form. Ouch! Already? Hey! I gave you a few days. The good news is that most of you have tried this form, so will embrace it and write many poems.

Happy writing everyone.

Posted by on 05/01/2012 in poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , ,

15 responses to “Community Centre? Thursday Thoughts

1. vivinfrance

05/01/2012 at 9:42 am

I would call it “Your Serendipity” (a favourite word of mine)

I love this discursive post, and shall look forward to reading and sharing. “[5] …[not that my reach goes to that many people, but it might extend to a whole other set of people]. ” You’d be surprised how far your blog reaches: it’s like a benevolent chain letter (as opposed to the pain in the fundament kind) in that each of us who responds to your tutorials and prompts includes a link back to you, so potentially your readership is exponential. Though come to think of it, we probably all share a lot of the same ‘followers’.

05/01/2012 at 9:56 am

Interesting choice for title, ViV. I shall work that over [writers can be such a pain with word choice].

I like the word discursive. I adore the word fundament [good heavens, as in fundamental! Sometimes I am very slow, years slow. I can’t believe I never made the connection.]. You have given me enough to ignore whatever household thing I had lined up [I think cooking dinner] while I look up the origins of the words, one of my favourite things to do.

I love the thought of being a benevolent chain letter, but suspect you are correct, many of the same ‘followers’.

Ooooh! Word origins, post titles, posts to write…might have to have pizza.

2. viv blake

05/01/2012 at 10:22 am

http://the-hazel-tree.com/2012/01/04/the-wild-flowers-of-carn-ban-mor/ Not a poetry site, but beautiful photos and art for inspiration.

Don’t you just have to love words? I do, though I get told off for using too many in my poems.

05/01/2012 at 10:34 am

Hah! You thought you would see how long my husband will exist on pizza, I know. However, I will go visit the site now. I can’t resist the title. It’s evocative.

Yes, I figure loving words is a pre-requisite for what we like to do. In the classroom, when a student asked a word meaning, I looked it up even if I knew it, so they could see me doing that, and then I would get lost in words I passed by. I often stopped to discuss a word I found fascinating and any word we talked about, they got the origin. Yes, love, love, love words.

3. wordsandthoughtspjs

05/01/2012 at 2:12 pm

Hi Margo, when I read this, I thought yes, there are a few things I would like to share here:

1: Now available in PDF file is William Zinsser’s “On Writing Well”, which was recommended to me by a friend a long time ago, when I “thought” about writing poetry. ( I have the hardback in storage in the US.).

Here is the link: http://hnguyen.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/on-writing-well.pdf

2. I think this is a relatively new site for short story and photography enthusiasts. They have a weekly challenge for both, (I have taken on the writing, but I am not sure if it is my “cup of tea”, yet) I shall see.

Here is the link: http://www.indieink.org/

3: There is a new site calling for poetry submissions in text, and or audio. The girl running the site is aiming for multilingual poetry, but for better info…

here is the link: http://poemcast.tumblr.com/post/15109430967/call-for-submissions

(I found out about this from Neil Gaiman from following him on twitter).

As for the name of this Thursday post, I have no ideas 🙂

Have a good day!

05/01/2012 at 2:38 pm

Good Heavens, Pamela. You are an angel.

It did occur to me that I didn’t tell people how they are supposed to let me know stuff, so thank you for taking the initiative and putting the announcements in the comments! I’ll put my email address in tomorrow’s posting. But, I like having yours in the comments for people to look at for your format of personal/informative comments plus the link. The comments makes it communal.

So far, I am considering, Your Serendipity Agora. It’s a mouthful but says exactly what I want:a meeting place where chance beneficial events occur.

I’m excited. Thank you for these.

Hope the cold has slipped away.

4. Joseph Harker

05/01/2012 at 2:57 pm

I am all for this, and you are a gem for supporting my lowly endeavors. 🙂 For my part, I’m going to start up prompts on Saturdays, I think, if people are interested in taking part; Curio #2 should also be coming out this weekend; and I hope you enjoy GBG!

Will keep an eye out for websites and such…

05/01/2012 at 3:19 pm

Joseph, how can I not support you? I admire your poetry, enjoy your blog, and you are our Poet Laureate this year 🙂

I can’t wait to see how you format your prompts and look forward to tackling them. I don’t think you will have any problem with interest.

Yay! Curio #2 and GBG!

Anything you note of note will be appreciated. Thank you.

5. jpenstroke

06/01/2012 at 9:56 am

This is one of my favorite sites – for Haiku and for listening to writers answere three questions – why and favorites – check it out :

06/01/2012 at 1:29 pm

Thank you, jpenstroke. I have added the site to my Thursday list.I took a peek and it looks like fun.

6. b_y

06/01/2012 at 10:08 am

I see I’m going to have to subscribe. Just ambling through, I missed this gem of an idea. It’s like a samples bin (and don’t I love those) with something different every time.

06/01/2012 at 12:53 pm

Glad to have you, Barb. I like that: samples bin. I confess that I have already spent far too much time browsing. Woe!

7. Diane Lockward

06/01/2012 at 3:28 pm

Thanks, Margo, for spreading the word.

06/01/2012 at 3:32 pm

My pleasure, Diane. I love receiving your newsletter.