Wordle # 37 Response

01 Jan

A Happy New Year to all. It’s nice to start the year with a greeting to all of you. For that matter, it’s nice to start the year with a poem!

Don’t Stop

letters unanswered,
dropped stitches
while knitting sweaters —
unraveling yarn;

phone calls not made,
plums dropped
from wind-shaken branches —
bruised fruit;

enquiries ignored,
dirt dropping
from shovel to coffin —
friends drift;

loss expected.

Process: I found this one difficult and almost stopped a couple of times. The words are divergent [I think that’s what I want] enough in meaning that it took a while to find the commonality to bring them together. As with most wordles, my process involves putting words together on paper, that work in some way, whether it be sound, or meaning. Then I start with the arrows, and jotting phrases, and lines. If I do that enough, I arrive at something πŸ™‚

To see what others wrote, visit The Sunday Whirl.

I shall see you all, Tuesday for the first Tuesday Tryouts of the year. I have missed you in the past two weeks. Don’t worry; for this week, I shall be conscious of brains returning from festivities. Next week, though… I shall also see you Friday for the first roundup of prompts for the year, on Friday’s Freeforall. Have you noticed? Donna Vorreyer has her first entry for the newly coined The Poetry Mixtape. I didn’t want to wait until Friday. Visit!

Happy writing, this year, everyone.

Posted by on 01/01/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , ,

44 responses to “Wordle # 37 Response

1. Mary

01/01/2012 at 10:50 am

I think you drew the words together well, as you wrote each stanza toward your conclusion: loss expected. Well wordled. You mentioned having a hard time with the words this week. Often I do, but this week the idea for my poem came in a flash (expect for that tricky word ‘plum’ which I struggled with). Happy New Year, Margo.

01/01/2012 at 11:02 am

I turn my back for one second while the link is linking and there you are when I turn back, Mary! I love the poems that come in a flash, but get such satisfaction from the poems I have to fight for. And, yes, ‘plum’ was interesting to work with.

Happy New Year, Mary.

2. MiskMask

01/01/2012 at 11:06 am

I like your piece today. I find wordles quite difficult. I think it’s the visual format of prompt. I’ll give it a try tomorrow. Or the next day. Happy new year, Margo.

01/01/2012 at 12:49 pm

Misk, the first thing I do with wordles is to copy the words down. I cannot work with them in wordle format. One of the useful things about copying them is that I start grouping words that seem they might go together. Give it a try tomorrow. I know all about those ‘or the next days’ πŸ˜‰

Happy New Year, Marilyn.

• MiskMask

04/01/2012 at 7:28 am

Done. A few days later than I’d hoped but it’s done.

• pmwanken

01/01/2012 at 11:25 pm

The other option, Misk, is to get on the email list for receiving the words on Friday night. I don’t believe they’re formatted…just listed. And they come without hint of their origin.

I believe Brenda has a link on The Sunday Whirl site to send her an email to request to be added to the list.

πŸ™‚

• MiskMask

04/01/2012 at 7:27 am

Thanks, I’ll check into that. πŸ˜€

3. anl4

01/01/2012 at 11:39 am

I liked what you did. Yes, I found this one especially hard, as I miss took “yarn” for “yam.” My “yam” just didn’t seem to fit, but I squeezed it real hard, and liked what I got so much, when I realized it was a mistake, I decided to keep it.

• pmwanken

01/01/2012 at 11:26 pm

OH! I nearly did the same thing. My first pass, I thought “yaRn”…and then I was looking again at the list and thought it was “YAM”! But…it all worked out in the end. πŸ™‚

4. markwindham

01/01/2012 at 1:03 pm

Well done, Margo. I fought with this one (first one tried), maybe due to having NO process; just wrote the words at the top of the page and added lines till they were gone…. Interesting exercise though. Looking forward to Tuesday!

01/01/2012 at 2:07 pm

Thank you, Mark. And, other than the way I write the words down, I promise you I have no real process, until afterwards. See you Tuesday. I’m bringing back an old exercise so we can play.

5. Cheryl's Excellent Adventure

01/01/2012 at 1:03 pm

I do the same thing. I look for a commonality. The only difference is I work on the screen. When I write words that leave me stuck, I think I’ve moved in a wrong direction and delete them.

01/01/2012 at 2:04 pm

Cheryl, I am smiling as I read your comment. I started on paper and will continue so, as paper gives me more freedom of movement, as it were. When I run across a word that doesn’t seem to fit, I write it off to the side or in a corner, where my eye still sees it, and the brain, hopefully, continues to work on the misfit. And, not meaning to sound zen, there are no wrong directions, just unexpected ones.

6. Laurie Kolp

01/01/2012 at 1:06 pm

I like how you approached this, Margo. The second stanza really stands out.

Happy New Year to you!

01/01/2012 at 2:20 pm

Thank you, Laurie. The poem still niggles, but not that stanza.

7. brenda w

01/01/2012 at 1:10 pm

Your poem is filled with sad wisdom. I loved the read. The plums were well-placed.
    Thank you for sharing your process. Happy happy new year!

01/01/2012 at 2:22 pm

Mmmm…well-noticed, Brenda. And, oh those blessed plums! Thank you, always, for making us stretch our thinking.

8. Marianne

01/01/2012 at 1:17 pm

Well wordled, Margo. You have captured sorrow and regret perfectly, especially your last five lines. I enjoyed reading about your writing process. I do the same thing.

01/01/2012 at 2:29 pm

I like that, Marianne: sorrow and regret. I went back to look. I knew I had one, but was unaware I had both. I am not terribly good at writing process, but several people do, and I like reading how or why they have done something, and learning to put into words how, or why, I accomplished something.

9. Madeleine Begun Kane

01/01/2012 at 4:41 pm

I very much liked your poem!

Happy new year!

01/01/2012 at 5:39 pm

Thank you, Madeleine and a Happy New Year to you! I love that all of us are moving into the year together. The poetry circle is making me enjoy things in a whole new way.

10. vivinfrance

01/01/2012 at 4:44 pm

This sounds like an end-of-year summation for many of us. A great way to use the wordle words.

01/01/2012 at 5:40 pm

And can be applied to more than friends, can’t it, ViV. I hadn’t thought of that until you made your comment.

11. wordsandthoughtspjs

01/01/2012 at 4:51 pm

Margo, the last 5 lines made me stop. I have re-read them three times. They are are honest, painful, and absolutely beautiful all at the same time. (I wish I had a happy pill, right now) This piece brought me to tears. It is gorgeous.

I am so happy to see you back with us!
    Happy 2012, dear Margo!

01/01/2012 at 5:48 pm

And, I am so happy to be back, Pamela!

Thank you, for your words. The poet may never be the speaker, but sometimes the speaker is a little bit the poet.

You do have a happy pill: go look out your window. Funny–I always assume you have a view. If not this remark won’t work so well, but it will be funny.

And, on the theory, we can’t wish this enough, a happy 2012 to you, my friend.

12. zongrik

01/01/2012 at 5:38 pm

i like how you connected the shovels to the coffins, and i like how the friends drift, they die, and they also drift, nice concept

01/01/2012 at 5:43 pm

Thanks, zongrik. The shovels were the hardest word for me. Thank goodness there were coffins.

13. Traci B

01/01/2012 at 5:39 pm

I like the way you took disparate words and made them work together with parallel structure, Margo. Well done. πŸ™‚

01/01/2012 at 5:42 pm

Traci, you made me feel faint for a moment. Parallel structure! How lovely to hear those words [I am missing the classroom…but only slightly]. The parallel structure is what allowed me to write the poem, because, as you say, these are a disparate bunch of words. Thank you!

14. Ostensible Truth (OT)

01/01/2012 at 7:18 pm

ah I’m a mess with prompts normally, as I take forever to write things, I’m a bad critic of my own work so things can take weeks to formalise – you seem to have overcome your initial difficulties to produce a great response!! like someone above noted, those last few lines are so powerful – loved – “dirt dropping
    from shovel to coffin –
    friends drift;” – it was unexpected, and that’s what I most like – great way to welcome in the new year, with a poem! nice work! and thanks for your comments, happy new year πŸ™‚

01/01/2012 at 9:39 pm

OT, I am so glad to hear it. Writing a poem takes me forever and I look around in awe at the writers who produce to every prompt going. The Sunday Whirl, and sometimes We Write Poems, has been the first prompt to get my brain into a faster gear. But, not always.

Thank you for your comments and a very happy, to you.

15. magicalmysticalteacher

01/01/2012 at 7:36 pm

Throughout his way-too-long novel, Remembrance Rock, Carl Sandburg uses this refrain: “Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.” Your last line, of course, brought this refrain to mind.

A Whirl of Haiku

16. Irene

01/01/2012 at 7:45 pm

A series of undoings and omissions.. The last reads like a lump in the throat. It’s real to life.

01/01/2012 at 9:47 pm

Omissions about describes it, Irene. A little closer to home than I usually get.

17. Annette

01/01/2012 at 8:26 pm

This works really well — yes, divergent but still a common, strong thread.
    Happy New Year to you!

01/01/2012 at 9:49 pm

Thank you, Annette. The thread saved it, but until I found it, I was flailing with these words.
      A Happy New Year to you, too!

18. Peggy Goetz

01/01/2012 at 10:31 pm

Happy New Year to you too. This poem has real impact for me. Very strong. The words worked very well for you!

02/01/2012 at 10:10 am

Thank you, Peggy! [for both the wish and the comment]

It’s funny the way these wordle words go about working, or not. I look forward every week to seeing how the words start to settle in.

19. pmwanken

01/01/2012 at 11:37 pm

margo,

I especially liked the fact that you started your post with a greeting to all of us out here in the blogosphere…because your poem has so much loss of “connection”! The reality of face-to-face connections drifting (dying! as your last stanza depicts) seems to be a magnified possibility with those we’ve only met in cyberspace.

My heart is pained when I think about those whose paths I no longer cross because of the gradual distancing, ending in loss.

Perhaps 2012 will be a year of connections vs. losses.

Great having you back out of the darkness and into the light of my laptop screen. See you again on Tuesday!! πŸ™‚

~ Paula

02/01/2012 at 10:18 am

Hey, Paula!

It is funny, now that you mention it. You would think it is easier to lose a cyber-connection because the relationship has to include communication, as there is no face to face. No emailing, no blog visits, or comments, and that’s it. And yet, I have written to more people in the last year than in my entire life. Everyone who knows me face to face will tell you I am a lousy communicator, but I have paid for that. My family sticks with me πŸ˜‰

When I think back on 2011, it was all about connection as I met all of you wonderful people [and the bonus of meeting you in person]. 2012, for me, will be a test of staying connected. That’s always the tricky part for me.

See you Tuesday, duckie πŸ˜‰

20. S.E.Ingraham

02/01/2012 at 11:54 pm

for someone who found it difficult to link these words, I think you did very well – the theme of loss runs strong throughout your poem – I esp like “plums dropped from wind-shaken branches; bruised fruit” – a deceptively simple metaphor …

03/01/2012 at 7:32 am

Thank you, Sharon. I’m not terribly good at metaphor, so am pleased when one works, and even more, when someone gets it.

21. tmhHoover

04/01/2012 at 2:27 pm

The words seemed to draw things out – and the delete button was ever calling. Your piece draws strongly on the undercurrents.

Leaving those undercurrents- I wish you a wonderful New Year.

22. margo roby

04/01/2012 at 3:08 pm

Thank you, Teri. I wish the same for you. It’s nice going into the new year with you!