Wordle Response: The Sunday Whirl # 35

18 Dec

I was determined this poem would be posted. I wrote Brenda a couple of days ago to say I was still enjoying the words even though I wasn’t producing poems and that I would push hard this week, as I miss contributing and doing the rounds. I copied the words into a small notebook I carry when traveling and headed for the airport. When I was seated and while waiting for takeoff [not one of my favourite times], I thought I would distract myself. By takeoff I had a draft.

On arriving at my mother’s I heard that her computer was sick. I have noticed a correlation to my writing poems I want to post and computers coming down with something. Early this morning I attacked the computer. I won.

Dream Away Your Troubles

Citizen, do you want
to fly this Earth?

For $9.95, you can leave
behind your troubles.

Do you want to lag
behind your neighbours?

For a mere $9.95,
you, too, can play the game
that states: You can dream
what will happen to you next.

Won’t you try your luck?

For just $9.95,
you, too, can win a chance
to be trouble free for a year.

Play the game and win
a chance to pick the purple
token and dream away
your troubles.

Process notes: Fear of take-offs? I don’t know quite where this came from, but I do know that as I was turning the words over and trying different possibilities, and wondering what to do with ‘citizen,’ that addressing the citizen seemed like it might take care of it being my difficult word to fit in. The rest followed.

If you haven’t visited The Sunday Whirl, now’s your chance, even if to read the other responses to the same list of words. But, you can also write a response yourself!

Posted by on 18/12/2011 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , ,

30 responses to “Wordle Response: The Sunday Whirl # 35

1. brenda w

18/12/2011 at 12:10 pm

Hey Margo! It’s nice to see you. One day soon I’ll have time on my hands again, and come to your prompts, as well. I miss you.

Where do I send the $9.95? LOL An engaging write, something we’re all familiar with…the sale, and oh for a chance to be trouble free…sounds like a pittance.

19/12/2011 at 11:54 am

Let me see, Bren…you’re a teacher? I had to retire completely from teaching to have the energy to write, lol!

Hmmm. I hadn’t thought of collecting. I am sure I can both find a purple token and convince you of my premise.

So good to see your smiling face 🙂

2. Mary

18/12/2011 at 1:10 pm

This is good, Margo. It sounds kind of like those infomercials one sees in the middle of the night that promise cures for various things, solutions to beauty issues, etc. $9.95 sounds like a good deal, in contrast to some of the things I’ve seen! Glad to see you wordling; and hope your mother’s computer stays well.

19/12/2011 at 11:57 am

My mother’s computer better stay well, Mary. I have a poem for WWP as well!

And, thank you 🙂

3. Peggy Goetz

18/12/2011 at 1:25 pm

I like your idea of putting wordle words in a notebook when traveling. Traveling is always a hard time for me to write. In fact it would probably be good for me to get used to writing with a pen or pencil again! I enjoyed you poem–all those things available for “just 9.95.” Promises promises!

19/12/2011 at 12:03 pm

Peggy–I don’t think I’ll ever travel again without a wordle! It was perfect to distract me and because I wanted distracting I focused more on the writing of a poem. I also promise you that if you start writing with a pen or pencil, you will find a whole new flood of creativity. The two are tied together.

Only $9.95, Peggy. What does it hurt? Send me a cheque and you’ll see 🙂

4. ldsrr91

18/12/2011 at 1:42 pm

“Play the game and win
    a chance to pick the purple
    token and dream away
    your troubles.”

Ah, and there is the rub.

Nice.

DS

19/12/2011 at 12:04 pm

I know, DS. But only $9.95.

Watch yourself in that weather you’re getting.

5. wordsandthoughtspjs

18/12/2011 at 3:07 pm

Margo, $9.95? Excellent price for this day and age, lol. Sign me up! I enjoyed this. Airports, bus stations, and train stations can be a great source of inspiration.

It is great to see you joining us, and yay to you for fixing the computer!

19/12/2011 at 12:06 pm

Just send me a cheque or money order, Pamela, lol.

And, I am quite impressed with myself. I did have strong motivation to get the machine going. Not only did I have the wordle, but I also have a WWP response this week!

6. Laurie Kolp

18/12/2011 at 6:07 pm

Love this, Margo- Wouldn’t that be great?

19/12/2011 at 12:07 pm

Thank you, Laurie. Wouldn’t it just?

7. zongrik

18/12/2011 at 7:25 pm

sounds like a great game

23/12/2011 at 7:28 pm

If you are talking about centos, zongrik, it is a great game indeed.

8. tmhHoover

18/12/2011 at 10:39 pm

For $9.95! I was so inspired I decided I must finally give this a try.

Safe travels.

19/12/2011 at 12:10 pm

Yay! Now listen: if you struggle, remember, there are no rules, really. You set the challenge level. If you can use all twelve words exactly as they are, that’s what we all strive for, but if not, not. When I started wordling, I found I could use all the words, no problem, but I would have to change the form to do so. This is my first wordle to meet the top challenge. So, go at it and use the amount you can, how you can.

Stay safe.

9. vivinfrance

19/12/2011 at 2:44 am

Magical Wordle – well-disguised words – worthwhile transformation of pre-flight nerves into poetry.

Travel always brings on poetry for me.

19/12/2011 at 12:12 pm

I tell you, ViV, I may save all wordling for airplane trips.

Car travel brings on poetry for me. My husband drives, so I’ll sit with a notebook and record images, write small poems, jot ideas. I love it. Interesting how the brain responds differently.

10. Marianne

19/12/2011 at 7:03 am

What a good way to deal with those take-off jitters! You came up with a very clever poem, indeed!
    “For a mere $9.95,
    you, too, can play the game
    that states: You can dream
    what will happen to you next.”
    Nice 🙂

11. seingraham

20/12/2011 at 1:00 am

nicely done margo – good for you for fighting and winning!

23/12/2011 at 7:28 pm

Thank you, Sharon — takes bow, happily!

12. b_y

20/12/2011 at 4:55 am

Must have been the pre-flight anxiety. You’ve tapped into that magical thinker all the commercials are trying to grab. It has nothing tondo with the product, whatever it is. Copper bracelet? Purple poker chip? Sure. The price is perfect, too. (I watch too much TV). “Nineteen but if you act right now we will make that… Free. You heard me right. Free” (with the tiny text crawler informing you that postage, and some jibber ish word that really means profit, will cost you–$9.95)

I’ve been doing volunteer “work” at a local art center. Coat check. It is an excellent place for writing. Download an image to my Touch in case the WiFi is worse than usual, or like you, copy out a word list: a four-hour shift flies! Some people knit. I make long lists of rhymes and then ignore them.

21/12/2011 at 10:18 am

We all watch too much TV, Barb!

I rather like the sound of coat-checking at a local art centre, especially with time to write.

13. Sharp Little Pencil

20/12/2011 at 2:48 pm

Margo, I simply loved this. You know how I feel about the Christmas (really Advent) feeding frenzy at the Big Box stores… this is too perfect for words. Just a soupcon of cynicism, but I read it aloud with a big smile! Peace, Amy

21/12/2011 at 11:09 am

Thank you, Amy! And, soupcon of cynicism describes the tone perfectly!

14. Traci B

21/12/2011 at 12:07 pm

Any shipping & handling charge on that panacea, Margo? 😉

A fun read and a great take on the wordle. Airports and computer ailments seem to agree with your writing process. 🙂

21/12/2011 at 12:54 pm

That’s the best news, Traci, shipping absolutely free. Just send me a cheque! margo

15. purplepeninportland

21/12/2011 at 4:04 pm

Hi Margo, I’m new to this site, but a part of Poetic Asides and Poetic Bloomings.
    Is this where I post my poem for this prompt?

Thanks,
    Sara (http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com)

23/12/2011 at 7:26 pm

Hi Sara, and welcome. You can post poems one of two ways. You can post the poem on your blog and leave a link in the comments, or you can post the whole poem in the comments.

Sorry I wasn’t faster getting back to you — Christmas frenzies.