Hop, Hop, Hop: Tuesday Tryouts

13 Dec

7:28 — Atlanta

Hello, all. Welcome to the new followers [something I forget to do, so this may go back a while]. I am hearing you loud and clear, everyone: More Hoppers! If they are going to sustain this level of enthusiasm at this time of year, then I say, More Hoppers. But first, a Winslow Homer, deliberately without title. Write what you see.

The Movies

Automat

Here is the link to the first Hopper exercise, with guidelines, if you wish them. If you are feeling a burst of energy, try something you have not tried yet, with the writing of your poem, a different approach, different form, different part of the painting.

Be warned. I am looking over January and I shall only be nice the week back from my own holiday. After that: MUAHAHAHA! But, I shall salt art through the exercises this coming year. You enjoy it so and I enjoy your enjoyment.

I shall see you Friday for the weekly roundup of prompts and exercises. Then I will be dark until the first week of January. What with Hanukkah, Christmas, and New Year’s, I’m thinking everyone’s brain needs a rest. But, even when caught up in the fun and frenzy, we never stop being writers. Jot notes of imagery, scenes you notice, bits of conversation. Take photographs to remind you. Above all, enjoy.

Happy writing, all. Oh, and the first issue of Curio is up and is lovely. Go visit and read the poems.

Posted by on 13/12/2011 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , ,

28 responses to “Hop, Hop, Hop: Tuesday Tryouts

1. b_y

13/12/2011 at 12:17 pm

Thanks for the Homer, Margo. I’m not certain I got what I was going for, but enjoyed the trip.

13/12/2011 at 12:20 pm

And they do say the trip is what it’s about, don’t they, bc? Glad you took the Homer. He is one of my favourites.

2. Mary

13/12/2011 at 2:30 pm

I didn’t really know where I would go with the picture, but “The Movies” led me where it wanted me to go!

13/12/2011 at 3:40 pm

Don’t you love it when things do that, Mary?!

3. wordsandthoughtspjs

13/12/2011 at 6:04 pm

I chose “New York Movie”, Margo. I enjoyed this, thanks. I hope your holidays are wonderful and safe, 🙂

<a href="Title“>”I Watch You on Saturdays”

4. markwindham

13/12/2011 at 6:06 pm

First time posting here, and first trying to put a painting to poem. Or, a poem to a painting? Love all three of these; think I am going to have to come back to each….

Love the sight and what you are doing to inspire. Thank you.

• markwindham

15/12/2011 at 2:22 pm

Please moderate me! My fragile ego and all. 😉

15/12/2011 at 2:27 pm

What? Where have I not moderated you, Mark? Okay, I’ll go look. I must have missed you somehow.

5. wordsandthoughtspjs

13/12/2011 at 6:07 pm

Now, that didn’t work very well, did it? lol

“I Watch You on Saturdays”

14/12/2011 at 8:19 am

Pamela, I am so glad to see you do that! Every now and then I find myself staring at something like that, lol.

May your holidays also be wonderful, with weather that behaves itself, and, yes, safe 🙂

6. vivinfrance

14/12/2011 at 3:17 am

I loved the Homer – not sure about my poem! http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/lucky-escape/

14/12/2011 at 8:20 am

I went looking for paintings similar to Hopper’s, ViV. I now have a collection of Homers and, surprise, Rockwell. You shall see them in the new year.

7. The Happy Amateur

15/12/2011 at 12:37 pm

Hi Margo, thank you for the prompt, I chose ‘The Movies’ for my attempt. I hope it’s OK to post the actual poem, not a link, here. Let me know, please. With warm wishes,
    Alexandra

She used to listen to music,
    Responding with every pore,
    Now all she hears is sounds
    That speak to her no more.

The voice is distant, though near,
    Someone, not her, is on stage.
    She wasn’t meant to be here,
    It’s not her time, not her age.

It’s somebody else’s theater,
    It’s somebody else’s life.
    She’s merely a spectator,
    She’s somebody else’s wife.

15/12/2011 at 12:42 pm

Alexandra — it’s absolutely okay to post in comments.

Interesting poem. I liked not knowing where the poem was going and being delightfully surprised at where it went. You set up the final stanza, well.

• The Happy Amateur

15/12/2011 at 12:50 pm

Thank you, Margo! I enjoy writing very much, and I feel very empowered by support. However, if I post something that’s just no good, please feel free to tell me. It won’t crush my spirits, it’ll encourage me to write more and better!
        Alexandra

15/12/2011 at 1:10 pm

You made me laugh, Alexandra. I’ll make note of your note and keep an eye out for things you can play with in revising.

8. The Happy Amateur

15/12/2011 at 1:15 pm

Great! 🙂

9. The Happy Amateur

15/12/2011 at 1:52 pm

I’m so proud: I’ve just added images of ‘Chop Suey’ and ‘New York Movie’ to my blog (I know it’s not a big deal, but as I’m just starting out, I’m excited about every tiny achievement.) Come visit http://www.thehappyamateur.com anytime, it’ll make me even happier!

15/12/2011 at 2:26 pm

I left a comment over there, but, I wanted to add a general comment. I love your explanation of your blog name and am fascinated with the fact that amateur comes from the root for love.

• The Happy Amateur

15/12/2011 at 3:21 pm

Thank you so much for visiting my blog, Margo! I’ve already been considering WordPress, it seems to have more features, and I think it’s more fun, too. I’ll probably switch.

10. MiskMask

19/12/2011 at 11:01 am

Here’s mine.

11. Irene

22/12/2011 at 7:38 pm

I did another Hopper. Better late than never.

New York movie

12. pmwanken

27/12/2011 at 4:51 pm

margo…hopper wouldn’t leave me alone…i wrote a couple more but didn’t post to my blog until today…here ya go! (…and thank you for sharing these paintings as prompts!)

*hugs*
    ~ Paula

31/12/2011 at 4:33 pm

Hopper does have that effect of not leaving alone. I like that description, Paula. I will be interested to see what effect my next artist choice will have. I will stay close to Hopper, as he seems to have been a general success.

See you in the New Year.