Thursday Thoughts: More Poetry Links

21 Jul

8:38 a.m. — Walnut Creek

Hello, all. First a couple of links that might help you with the internal rhyme of the ghazal as well as any future rhyming needs. Mike Patrick gives us: http://verseperfect.en.softonic.com/ and Viv gives us: http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?  It is worth having both to hand as they work in different ways.

And I want to give you Mike’s link to mind-mapping. I am giving you the link to his post about mind-mapping, in case you did not see it: http://thepoetsquill.wordpress.com/2011/07/16/chivalry-is-dead/ For those of us who mind map, this is a terrific tool.

Okay, as long as I have given three links, I think I shall continue with links [yes, brain dead — I love my vacation, but will be glad when I can think again]

I have sent you to the Rag Tree before. He is always interesting and has a post on something we all deal with every time we choose a word. Here is part of what he says: In the context of the humble word, for instance, semantics draws the distinction between denotation and connotation–between a word’s literal meaning and the emotions and other meanings that the word suggests (and please note, this is a distinction understood by poets practically from the moment of birth ). In other words, a word is never just a word, but a group of meanings and feelings triggered by a principle meaning. Or we could say that a word, once learned, does not remain static, but grows as we acquire its cultural associations and individual emotional responses to its use.

The next link is to a post by Robert Lee Brewer whom many of you know from Poetic Asides. He asks established poets if they had one piece of advice for poets what would it be. The post has value for us all no matter how long we have been writing. Even though nothing was new to me, I needed to reread and be reminded of many things. I don’t think we can read and reread enough. In our busy, often overfull lives it’s of value to remind ourselves about anything to do with our writing.

The next link is to a post written by Annell on Somethings I Think About. The post teaches us how to read a painting and is utterly fascinating. Given that most of us write from an image at some point, this post teaches us where to look, how to look and why. Annell tells us how a painting works when we look at it.

Okay, enough to give you some food for thought, but not too much for halfway through July. I will see you tomorrow for the week’s roundup; and Tuesday, for an open prompt; and Thursday is a day off.

Over the next couple of weeks I will take a couple of days off. My husband will be arriving for a few days and then we will be flying/driving to Atlanta. I will try and let you know but if I don’t appear that’s where I am.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 21/07/2011 in poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “Thursday Thoughts: More Poetry Links

1. vivienne Blake

21/07/2011 at 2:50 pm

Margo, I have worked my way through your post, systematically following all the links, and it has been an illuminating experience. Thank you a million times for the work you put in to this process of educating this varied collection of poets who are your neophytes. You make us push our boundaries, which has to be worthwhile!

2. margo roby

21/07/2011 at 3:31 pm

Viv, I realised soon after starting this blog a few months ago, that once a teacher, always a teacher. And when I toss something difficult at you all I am touched by how many grab it and run with it. It is indeed worthwhile for me to watch and follow all of you. And, I treasure the relationships that have formed. I wouldn’t have missed ‘meeting’ you for the world.

3. Music&Meaning

21/07/2011 at 8:32 pm

Margo: Needless to say, thanks for the mention, and I am working on a new language post that will link back to you… RT

21/07/2011 at 9:48 pm

My pleasure always, Eric. Looking forward to the next.

4. TheMsLvh

21/07/2011 at 10:00 pm

Margo, would love for you to check this sonnet out.
    Would like your opinion, being the teacher you are, (very respected)
    I wrote it today and will be gone for a few days. The poem will explain this
    Thanks!
    TheMsLvh

• TheMsLvh

21/07/2011 at 10:11 pm

my new word is seethe.

5. margo roby

21/07/2011 at 10:38 pm

Hi TheMsLvh! I hesitate to critique until I know if you want an opinion generally or a technical critique, or both 🙂 I hope you return unseethed. Let me know and I will be happy to give my opinion. Meanwhile, I love the line ‘Just hold me tightly with your Redwood arm,’.

6. pmwanken

22/07/2011 at 1:47 am

thanks for these links, margo…haven’t used ’em yet, but will….though I did put a bit of extra effort into “mind mapping” on my latest poem (which I posted on your Tuesday Tryout entry, but will also repost here, as it refers to mind-mapping, as well as the Ghazal)…

as I said on my post on the Tuesday Tryout page: be gentle 😉