Oh, Those Musty Minutes in Our Lives

30 Mar

Hello, subscribers. You don’t have the day wrong. I am responding to the We Write Poems prompt from last week, where we were asked to write a poem in response to the phrase “musty minutes”. If you are curious as to what others have done with the phrase, visit their site. Here is my poem:

pulled for revision

See you tomorrow for a discussion of why you need to own a copy of Poemcrazy, and Friday for the week’s wrapup of prompts and exercises.

Posted by on 30/03/2011 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

20 responses to “Oh, Those Musty Minutes in Our Lives

1. brenda w

30/03/2011 at 8:11 am

Margo… I love the ideas of memories being etceteras of the past. Wonderful piece… ~Brenda

30/03/2011 at 9:01 am

Thanks, Brenda. I had fun bringing the lines together and the prompt phrase was the catalyst for the e. e. cummings lines.

2. poetrydiary

30/03/2011 at 8:28 am

I enjoyed the nostalgic feel to this, and the evocative images of the second half especially.

I’m hoping to try your conversation model exercise this week too…will see!

Thanks

Matthew

30/03/2011 at 8:54 am

Thank you, Matthew. I hope you get a chance with the conversation model. You could apply it to one of your castles. Might be an interesting way to approach one of them. But you are never at a loss for subject matter, so I will look forward to seeing something, at some point.

3. Judy Roney

30/03/2011 at 8:31 am

I love the phrase, “museums of musty minutes”. That is what our pasts are..history. 🙂 I will remember this.

30/03/2011 at 8:57 am

Thank you, Judy. I’ve been over to visit you and left a comment!

4. pamela

30/03/2011 at 12:17 pm

“etceteras of our pasts” that is such a wonderful line, Margo. Excellent poem.

30/03/2011 at 12:42 pm

Thanks, Pam [and e. e. cummings!].

5. Mike Patrick

30/03/2011 at 2:00 pm

‘The skinny voice along the edges of a memory,’ resonated with me. An eloquent turn of phrase.

30/03/2011 at 2:09 pm

Thank you, Mike. It is one of my favourite lines, having reached that point with my own memory. I can hear the voices thin and far away.

6. vivinfrance

30/03/2011 at 2:18 pm

Margo, there are so many wonderful lines and images in this poem that I find it impossible to pick out just one as a favourite. The whole poem is a favourite, and I shall treasure it.

30/03/2011 at 2:45 pm

Ahh! Viv, thank you. That means a lot to me.

7. 1sojournal

30/03/2011 at 4:19 pm

I too, like several things: “strenuous briefness, skinny voice, and our selves become museums.” Each of them speaks to me of stretching back to catch something fleeting. Memory is a slippery thing, and that is what your entire poem said to me.

Elizabeth

30/03/2011 at 6:05 pm

Thank you, Elizabeth. And I think memory is like that because things file themselves in our minds according to what our brains perceive as something we want reachable or not. The not can be very slippery.

8. Mary

30/03/2011 at 8:42 pm

Margo, I like what you did with this prompt. I love thinking about the ‘sweet etceteras of our past.’ We all have them!

9. margo roby

30/03/2011 at 9:04 pm

Thank you, Mary. I enjoyed writing this.

10. Mr. Walker

31/03/2011 at 11:05 am

That last line really works. And the whole poem reflects memories and that connected/disconnected feeling we get as we move through them, things that are “between there / and here” and what we remember and what that spurs on.

31/03/2011 at 11:19 am

I love your comment. It is poetic in itself. Thank you.

11. wayne

31/03/2011 at 6:13 pm

this really worked well IMo…thanks for sharing your words margo

01/04/2011 at 8:09 am

My pleasure, Wayne, and thank you.