Wednesday Writing Sound, Part 2

01 Dec

12:13 pm, Wednesday, 1 December, 2010 – Atlanta

Happy 1st of the last month.

Hear the crackle?

Now, sound. I am going to mix in the other senses for today. Yesterday you played a little with the way words sound. Today I want you to pick pairs of emotion and list for each what you associate with them sensorily. List as many for sound as you can, but jot a couple for each of the other senses. You may, as you jot down the associations, expand on any of them that come with a story.

Hear the clickety-clackety?

happiness:

sound   bells, ululating, song, singing, ocean waves
visual   yellow, neon lights, fireworks, dancing
taste    coffee, muscat, fried eggs and bacon
smell    coffee, bacon, fresh mown grass
touch   satin, a hug, marble

sadness:

Hear the whine?

sound:   sobs, taps being played, solitary footsteps
visual:   grey skies, shadows
taste:    blood, salt, bitterness
smell:   rotting oranges, mold, stale food
touch:  tears, bare branch

Notice that some of my associations are universal, but some are personal and if I were to use them in a poem to evoke an emotion, I would need to give a context. I found a site where the author has done the same thing, but she has added kinesthesia. She also has some good things to say, so the link is here.

Tomorrow, I will share with you some excerpts from poets who are experts with both the sounds of words and sound imagery.

Posted by on 01/12/2010 in poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 responses to “Wednesday Writing Sound, Part 2

1. Irene

01/12/2010 at 7:42 pm

Lovely..it sure debunks the myth that old isn’t happening.

2. Tilly Bud

02/12/2010 at 3:07 am

I love this image of your mother! Age surely is a state of mind.

3. vivinfrance

02/12/2010 at 3:20 am

Great – I look forward to it! I found your emotion/sound pairing interesting, and am off to play with it. Thank you.

• mroby

02/12/2010 at 8:28 am

You are welcome. I would love to see it if something comes from it.

• vivinfrance

05/12/2010 at 12:19 pm

Here you are – a re-written version of a poem I wrote during Napowrimo:

Boredom

A dense grey fog, cotton wool fuzzy ,
        opaque as a wall of undergrowth.
        It is silent, wordless,
        smells of dust and unaired rooms
        and tastes of stale bread,
        looks like a checkout queue on Friday night
        and feels like Hell.
        Unwelcome, it invades my mind
        at all the wrong times.

When people are near,
        near enough to engage,
        boredom evaporates instantly.
        It dissolves in books,
        and runs from creativity.
        Chase boredom with poetry.

• mroby

05/12/2010 at 5:15 pm

I love the comparisons:

It is silent, wordless,
          smells of dust and unaired rooms
          and tastes of stale bread,
          looks like a checkout queue on Friday night

…and you are right: I am never bored with poetry in my life. Thank you for letting me see what you wrote. I sometimes feel like I’m casting into the wind. It’s nice to have a fish come in, if you will pardon my comparing your poem to a fish.

m

• vivinfrance

06/12/2010 at 3:35 am

I’m glad you liked it: the poem was the better for the re-write, using your framework.
        ViV

4. gautami tripathy

03/12/2010 at 8:12 am

My mother at 75, is very fiesty. And I want her to be like that forever!

Your poem resonated for me!

retrieval

• mroby

03/12/2010 at 8:41 am

I am lucky. Based on our family history, my mother will be around another 15 years. May yours continue to be fiesty for a long time.

5. ravenswingpoetry

16/12/2010 at 12:15 pm

I like how you turn the idea of 82 on its head. The silver coupe to match her silver hair, the physical motor filled with coffee with the car motor. Neither showing any chance of stopping.

-Nicole

• mroby

16/12/2010 at 12:17 pm

Thank you, Nicole! That is exactly what I intended. And, it’s always nice when a writer’s intent matches the reader’s appreciation.