Poetics Serendipity

21 Aug

listening to Simon Says by the 1910 Fruitgum Company

Hullo, all. Yep, I made it here. WordPress is offering us the choice of the old or the new, so I’ll keep showing up. Let me see what I have in the bag and get some of my first cup of coffee down. I slept in a bit.

1] Over at Write to Done, Jessica Baverstock gives us ‘How to Complete Every Writing Project You Start: Become a Completion Addict‘. She makes the point that we’re addicted to the intoxicating high of new ideas. As I look through my notebook at how many things I have started but forgotten when I moved to another something, she’s right. There is an excitement to starting a new poem, a something that gives new energy to us.

Baverstock presents short, simple steps to carrying out a little brain retraining so we’ll feel more in control of your goals and projects, instead of frantically jumping from one idea to another. You will also recognize and face your fears, a great way to keep them in check.

2] I enjoy WordPress articles [i.e. from WordPress, not articles that appear on WP] and have a couple saved for you. The first is Spring-Clean Your Blog in Five Easy Steps. [Hey, it’s almost spring in the lower portion of the globe] I never quite get around to cleaning out my blog, but if I have steps to follow, I am more likely to do at least a couple of things. Ben Huberman [one of my favourite WordPress writers] has five things you can do in the next ten minutes to see immediate results. Ten minutes, people. Let’s get out those brooms and dusters.

3] The second article from WP is Four Features to Publish Your Poems, by Cheri Lucas Rowlands. The features look interesting, but do mean we have to roll up our sleeves and try writing with the text editor [see tab upper right when you have a new post]. I know some of you already use it, but most of us… The features offered allow for some ease in getting a poem to look like a poem on our blogs, without turning ourselves inside out.

Now, off you go to clean, create and complete. I shall see you Tuesday for a potluck image prompt;and Thursday for links, more links.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 21/08/2014 in links, poetry

Tags: , , ,

12 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. dmarshall58

21/08/2014 at 10:37 am

Three for three… all useful to me. Thanks.

2. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

21/08/2014 at 12:00 pm

Thanks for this, Margo. I cleaned up my sidebar a bit, but couldn’t find how to delete badges and stuff I didn’t want. I’ll have another go when I’m fresh.

21/08/2014 at 1:56 pm

I’ll try and remember to check that out, ViV. I have a badge needs going.

3. Carol Carlisle

21/08/2014 at 2:16 pm

The WP how to publish a poem is a treat! I’m so tired of awkward line brakes.
    Big THANKS!

21/08/2014 at 3:59 pm

I like the tidy-up ideas. Good post, m.

21/08/2014 at 5:27 pm

1. not enough time….Back in full watch the grandchildren mode. 2. I tend to keep it simple so there is no need to clean up – I’ve barely used a small fraction of my free space. 3. My poems always look like poems because I write them in my own word program first and then copy and paste into the text portion so I don’t get those extra awkward line spaces.

and just for fun here’s another Quickly word turned sentence turned poem that also fits into another (Red Wolf) prompt. That’s one way to save time…combine prompts!

26/08/2014 at 8:19 am

You’re a wonder to behold, grandma!

6. pmwanken

22/08/2014 at 5:44 pm

How serendipitous! I recently cleaned up badges and widgets and such. It took a bit of finagling to find where to put it all or remove it all (depending on the case), but I managed. However…I felt a bit more housekeeping was in order so I changed blog themes to find one that didn’t use a sidebar and put all the widget stuff on the bottom. It’s a fun change of pace! :) As for the editor…I do usually use the “text” screen rather than the “visual” screen…but that article had some good reminders! Thank you, margo, for keeping us informed and spring-cleaned! :) <3 p.

26/08/2014 at 8:19 am

Well, hello there. It’s the reminding part I like. I always forget stuff until I read about it again! I like your new look very much. Spacious and bright.

• pmwanken

26/08/2014 at 9:55 pm

Thanks (re: the new look). I missed the blue, at first…but realized that the “spacious and bright” outweighed my color preference. :)