Poetics Serendipity

14 Aug

listening to Only the Young by Journey

Hello, everyone. How are you? I am back on Thursday watch early because I seem to have been blessed (?) with WordPress’ new posts’ new appearance. It’s a little unnerving, it’s so clean and tidy. I figured I’d better try it out before Tuesday. If this appears before I’m done, you’ll know I hit the wrong button. A lot of hunting for stuff is involved. Not everything is intuitive.

Now, what have I collected during the summer, for you?

1] Haiku lovers, [Well, hell, there appears to be no see-able cursor. I hope that's me and not them] there is The Haiku Foundation for all things English Language Haiku. Head over to look around and read their complete mission statement, part of which says: THF [instead] is a series of projects organized not for poets per se, but for haiku itself. The realization of these projects will in due course help all haiku poets. Haiku has been very good to all the poets who have been fortunate to have found it. The Haiku Foundation is where poets go when they want to give back.

They have an incredible setup. [cursor back -- must be me -- not liking the new WordPress, at all]

2] The second link is to a thoughtful, fascinating even, essay by Jeffrey Levine, on reading submissions and reading fees. Ignore the dates, but read what he has to say. Here’s an excerpt: So, I might better say, of course we charge a reading fee each time a manuscript is submitted to us for our consideration. Even apart from the question of anonymity, we read every manuscript for every submission period as if it’s the first time the manuscript has ever been sent. It gets a fresh reading every time. We might assume that poets work on their manuscripts: revising poems, substituting poems, revising the order of the poems, etc. So even the “same” manuscript can be new in important ways. But even if no new work has been done on the manuscript, no changes made, even if it were exactly the same, it’s the time and attention given over to reading manuscripts (that each submission deserves) that we charge for.  And what we charge is the equivalent of half a tank of gas. He has a couple of links for us, too.

3] Wait until you have twenty minutes and listen to Professor Anne Curzan, a historian of the English language. She loves words and where they come from, how and when new words become real, and has an interesting perspective on language changing. Listen to What Makes a Word Real? I found it enlightening and highly amusing.

My thanks to Misky who told me to try saving a draft of this post, going away, coming back and re-opening… the old format is back. BUT, I have seen the other and I really did not like it. Ack.

See you Tuesday for the prompt on poems from comic strips.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 14/08/2014 in links, poetry

Tags: , , , , ,

20 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

14/08/2014 at 11:57 am

Are you using a Windows OS computer for writing and posting your stuff? Sorry about the term “stuff” – rather a wide-tide of a word. Anyway, if you’re using Windows, try using Windows Live Writer for creating and uploading posts. Just google windows live writer.

• Misky

14/08/2014 at 12:01 pm

14/08/2014 at 12:07 pm

I love the word ‘stuff’ — covers a multitude of sins.

I might be… I think I use Open Office. Live Writer looks interesting, though.

• Misky

14/08/2014 at 12:13 pm

I used it for years before jumping ship for Apple. I rather liked it. Either way, you’ll have to acquaint yourself with something new.

14/08/2014 at 12:08 pm

I tried Live Writer for quite a while, and in the end abandoned it – there’s a swings and roundabouts gain and loss, and I decided it wasn’t worth the faff.

The new WP startled me, but I’m getting used to it – apart from the cleaner look, it’s not so very different from the old.

I like this serendipity post, and shall come back to it again whcn I have more time (I’m cooking supper)
      Love,
      ViV x

14/08/2014 at 12:12 pm

I do like it when someone else has tried something. Thanks, ViV. If there is faff involved, I’ll do with the occasional disappearing cursor.

Ick, ick ick. Just keep telling me that really, I’ll like it.

love,
        m

• Misky

14/08/2014 at 12:14 pm

I wish the Publish button was more apparent.

14/08/2014 at 12:20 pm

And the Preview button more obviously placed. I also could not get my links to work properly,
          like opening in another tab. That would take care of Thursdays and Fridays. I shall do some homework.

2. b_young

14/08/2014 at 12:40 pm

Where are you people? Posting from the WordPress front page? When I am on my laptop I open new posts from the dashboard, from the ” All Posts” menu. Nothing new there. Don’t like that quickie post. I’m too careless.

Anybody else notice how much the WP page looks like Facebook? And NOT in a good way.

14/08/2014 at 1:16 pm

Just you wait.

Wait til you see the new posting format. Even more FB lookalike. I’m not liking that either, but blue and white has always left me cold.

• Misky

14/08/2014 at 4:06 pm

It is thought the dashboard that the new format appears. One Misk Cooks it’s still the old format. My poetry blog is the new one. As Margo says, just wait. It suddenly appears without warning.

Yes, FB. Very blocky blue and we-know-what-you-want sort of duff.

• Misky

14/08/2014 at 4:07 pm

Darned spell checker!! It is THROUGH the dashboard …

14/08/2014 at 3:34 pm

I was told you can always find the ‘old format’ you just have to go to the dashboard. I also dislike the new ‘bleep boop boop’ edit system. Bunch of ‘boop, boop’ if you ask me.

By the way the new We Wordle at Red Wolf is up and here’s my take at using all the words (even the one that was repeated…I used it twice).

FYI I always write in my own word processing system first and then transfer or copy and paste. This insures I have a copy for myself in case all of a sudden The Great Blog Sphere gets a bloody nose.

15/08/2014 at 7:19 am

Trying to be cute , aren’t they. I wonder if there is someone new at WordPress headquarters.
      I often write my whatsits in open office first, but I like the feel of writing on the blog; there is more of an immediacy with you all — I know, it’s all in my head!

14/08/2014 at 4:02 pm

When you click the (create) Link icon, there’s an option for ‘target’ and that’s what you want for that. Select new window or something like that (it’s not ‘None’). There are only two option: none and something else. Select the something else one.

15/08/2014 at 7:16 am

Mmm. I tried that. Nothing appeared to happen. I’ll have to go to one of my closed blogs and see if it has the new format and practice. I also need to find somewhere where I can tell WordPress I loathe this enough to actually reconsider Blogger.

5. pmwanken

14/08/2014 at 5:36 pm

Hello there!!! :) :)
    I have not had great success in using the new view/platform for creating a new post. I found that “copy a post” from the dashboard gives me my “normal” editing screen. However, when I’m viewing and already-posted poem and want to edit it, when I click “edit” from the front end, it takes me into the new version AND it changes it’s appearance (removed formatting, font changes, etc.). However, if I go to the dashboard and go to “posts” and then find my post to edit and select “edit”, it takes me to the old editor screen. sigh and yes, I’ll join the ICK club.

15/08/2014 at 7:14 am

Why hello!
      I had problems with ‘edit’ and ‘preview’. The old preview takes us to a different page. This does not, which is alarming. and, as you say, when I go back to my draft, it’s an older version.
      Do you suppose WordPress will have a poll?