Poem Tryouts: Sensory Words

08 Jul

6:50 a.m. — San Antonio

listening to the water running while Skip shaves

Hello all. We’re almost halfway through summer. Welcome to the new people whose names I have been seeing. Come the end of August, I’ll have a brief post with the hows and whys and wherefores of Wordgathering. Meanwhile, follow along; Join in even! Try a poem.

Before we get started, a note from Irene Toh of  Red Wolf Journal: Red Wolf has published two collections of poetry in a PDF format, Having Taken Vows, by Christopher Hileman, and Duet, by Christopher Hileman and Irene Toh. Head over for the links to download the collections.

Today’s prompt is short and sweet. Don’t look at the calendar. It will only confuse you. The topic has changed three times. The exercise is a pinch hitter, that came about at midnight, as I read a Nero Wolfe mystery, while trying to fall asleep.

You are looking for a word that affects your senses strongly, any time you read it, or hear it, so strongly that you feel it physically. My word is coffee. and it affects me more at night [when, of course, I don't have a cup]. The feeling I get, on reading, or hearing [on television], the word is such that I have to restrain myself from getting up and making a cup. I can even smell it.

Once you have the word, you may write an ode to the topic; or, you can write about the whys of the feelings aroused on reading/hearing your word; or, you can play [I don't know -- that's up to you]. Your objective is to have your readers feel some of what you feel. Use sensory details.

See you next Tuesday when we are back with the summer calendar and what I call ‘a day of rest’ [this does not mean nothing]. Check it out, as you might want to look around.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 08/07/2014 in exercises, poetry, Summer

Tags: ,

20 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Sensory Words

1. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

08/07/2014 at 8:48 am

Tea is my open sesame, but I suppose coffee is more American. I’d forgotten about your calendar, having taken on the Creative Bloomings Granada Camp for Wayward Poets PAD challenge, plus a sewing challenge. I’ll have a think about your prompt.

08/07/2014 at 8:56 am

I love tea, grew up with it, but the word doesn’t call up the same feelings as the word coffee. I did wonder where you were! Wayward, indeed. Even if you don’t have a poem, do visit. It’s good to hear from you, ViV.

2. georgeplace2013

08/07/2014 at 12:23 pm

Hi Margo – coffee and tea both for me and esp. hot Vanilla Chai but that’s not what I wrote about.

15/07/2014 at 9:36 am

Hi Debi. Coffee mainly, but I do have a vanilla chai mixed with a couple of other things. Mostly, Skip drinks it, but every now and then, tea is the only thing.

3. Carol Carlisle

08/07/2014 at 4:48 pm

I had to be somewhere this morning but I couldn’t leave without responding to this challenge of sensory words. I knew right off what I would choose http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/poem-to-sage/

15/07/2014 at 9:34 am

Hello! I can’t wait to see your word. On my way.

08/07/2014 at 4:57 pm

Here is mine. John is home for a visit for 3 weeks, so I’m off to spend time with my son!

15/07/2014 at 9:21 am

How lovely. John, I mean. Enjoy.

• Misky

16/07/2014 at 8:14 am

I will. I mean, I am.

15/07/2014 at 9:33 am

Where, she wailed. Where is yours? I shall go look at my bookmarks in a bit.

08/07/2014 at 9:22 pm

Perfect prompt for this day…thank you, Margo!

Coffee does that to me as well…just the thought of it right now…geesh if I didn’t have more self-control this house would be reeking with the aroma of the dark delicious stuff right now.

I started this one early and was able to go “research” you’ll see. :)

ttp://wordrustling.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/plied-by-tide/

Wishing flickers of poetry time to arrive for you soon. This post is poetry though…creative prompting’s much appreciated. :)

15/07/2014 at 9:15 am

Ahhh, coffee. Now, I wait two hours for my second cup. Such will power you and I have.

6. purplepeninportland

08/07/2014 at 11:33 pm

In complete agreement with your coffee, Margo.
    Mine is up at: http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/lllaavenderrr/

7. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

09/07/2014 at 11:06 am

, My chosen word : HARMONY, means a lot to me, and the little poem is here: http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/harmony/

8. b_young

11/07/2014 at 10:45 am

15/07/2014 at 9:25 am

As you can see, I had trouble getting around. The fact that you had trouble makes me curious to see what you finally found.