Poem Tryouts: Poets Dreaming

24 Jun

1:23 p.m. — San Antonio

listening to the rustle of paper, as Skip unpacks another box of stuff from mom’s that I can’t live without

Aieee! WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT’S TUESDAY? The uppercase is to replicate what I actually said and which I cannot say here, when I realised, in the middle of unpacking boxes, that today might be Tuesday. Hello, everyone.

As I was noodling around coming up with the summer prompts, I came across a number of images of poets sleeping or dreaming. Long pause. Margo can be heard using language she does not usually use. There is a faint echo in the blogosphere.

So. My dropbox has decided to stop syncing; thus the images are sitting on my other computer, the one in Atlanta. Needing a couple of weeks to regroup, I will throw a curveball and we will all shift gears to the prompt for week 6: What does summer mean to you?

List all the things that summer means to you or for you. Pick one to focus on or, if you spot a thread, more. Don’t forget sensory details so we also feel what you feel, understand what summer means to you.

You can also find an image that shows what summer means and write a poem that parallels or embodies the image.

My apologies if I am not terribly lucid. My mind is mush. I shall see you next Tuesday for some oulipo-ing.

Happy writing, everyone.

P.S. Barb C.? Are you there? I need that photo of Rehoboth. I need an escape!

Posted by on 24/06/2014 in exercises, poetry, Summer

Tags: , ,

36 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Poets Dreaming

1. b_young

24/06/2014 at 2:58 pm

;)

24/06/2014 at 3:42 pm

Hi!!! I’m here, in real time. I can’t believe I only made it two weeks without making comments. What is wrong with me?

24/06/2014 at 3:03 pm

Ooh. Spooky. I wrote this an hour before your email notification arrived. http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2014/06/24/i-dont-do-heat-so-well/

24/06/2014 at 3:42 pm

You see: I know all.

• Misky

24/06/2014 at 4:36 pm

I might claim the same …

3. georgeplace2013

24/06/2014 at 5:08 pm

I don’t know what happened-it just popped out. Might not be such good thing but I’m running with it.

4. barbcrary

24/06/2014 at 6:16 pm

I love you, Margo, or maybe since we met not all that long ago, I love your prompts. What images of the beach shall I use here? And more importantly, which shall I post for you in photo form.

24/06/2014 at 6:31 pm

Here, anything your heart desires. Rehoboth for me…. anything Boardwalky, or Main Street, or the beach, or… I am so picky. Short time, enh. I love you anyway, Barb.

5. whimsygizmo

24/06/2014 at 7:23 pm

24/06/2014 at 7:27 pm

I might wait until I get home for this. While my summer did sort of start two weeks ago. I was on a plane to join my hubby. Whom if I had not joined I would not have seen for pretty much the whole month of June. I am so ready to go home… did I mention I already packed up one of our suitcases before lunch. And we don’t have to be at the airport until 10am. At least we have a non-stop flight.
    Even if we lose three hours….

24/06/2014 at 10:40 pm

I hope this brings you into some of my favorite old summertime sensations. :)

Thank you, Margo!

8. b_young

24/06/2014 at 11:05 pm

I really do hate summer. Started doing a triple acrostic on the theme, but it was too much work. And I am supposed to be revision. So http://wildevenus.wordpress.com/2014/06/24/for-the-tuesday-tryout-summer/

• b_young

25/06/2014 at 10:55 am

I’m trusting you to understand
      it isn’t the addict I hate
      or even the junk, but that to get it
      he came at me with a knife
      held like the meaning, eviscerate.
      You don’t need to rush to the aid
      of tomatoes and corn: I understand
      their need of summer. And the sun
      does nothing malicious: it burns.
      But must the hot night air swell
      over my bed like leaden feathers
      and cover my face, a sponge
      held like the meaning, to smother.

9. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

25/06/2014 at 5:05 am

Margo you are in a state. What does summer mean to me? Off the top of my head a haiku:

Light early, light late
    Highs of hope and happiness
    flowers and luscious fruit

• Hannah Gosselin

25/06/2014 at 8:47 am

Yes, yes and yes, Viv!! Especially, your second thought…that hits on the feeling I was trying to explain. Beautiful! :)

• whimsygizmo

25/06/2014 at 11:49 am

Delicious.

• georgeplace2013

25/06/2014 at 1:11 pm

Oh, yes, Viv. You’ve encapsulated the best of summer.

25/06/2014 at 9:20 pm

I know, ViV.

The haiku is both light and dense with richness. I like the idea of specific forms for the seasons.

10. Carol Carlisle

25/06/2014 at 6:18 pm

It took me a while to get around to this one. Summer does slow things down. I did Have this picture waiting for a poem so I used it for Wonder Wednesday

25/06/2014 at 9:15 pm

Right here you have a poem, Carol!

26/06/2014 at 5:33 am

12. b_young

28/06/2014 at 7:17 am

Yo, Margo et al This looks like it might be interesting. I’m going to give it a try

28/06/2014 at 9:51 am

It looks very interesting. Take good notes. We’re still unpacking, sorting, putting… Hopefully they’ll offer it again.

• b_young

28/06/2014 at 11:10 am

You could sign up (I’m pretty sure there is still time), and view the videos at your leisure. Couldn’t workshop that way, but you could still do the exercises.