Poem Tryouts: A Single Image

17 Jun

7:00 a.m. — somewhere in the air between SF and SA

listening to the click of keys as my husband slays in WOW

Hello, all. I have been enjoying the poems that have been translated and wish I had the time to comment. Hopefully, once we are settled for our month in San Antonio, I can go back and reread and comment.

My mother is safely in SA in a guest apartment [with the same floor plan as the one she will have] waiting for her furniture, and us, to arrive. At this end, my two brothers and I were all together for the first time in twenty-five years. We have vowed to never let THAT happen again. The flat is packed out and there is just enough left that Skip and I are camping out. It’s rather fun until we go into the kitchen to microwave something and the microwave is no longer there.

This week is a lovely, easy prompt. Truly. Find a single image and stare at it. What is it you want to convey to your audience about the image? Convey it in a Japanese short form poem, such as a tanaga, renga, tanka, haiku or… there are others out there. Remember that it is not about the syllables.

These are small bites. Feel free to write on several images, each with its own conveyance.

I shall see you next Tuesday, for the next summer prompt.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 17/06/2014 in exercises, poetry, Summer

Tags: , , ,

30 responses to “Poem Tryouts: A Single Image

1. barbcrary

17/06/2014 at 7:22 am

Perfect for the beach, Margo! I keep meaning to post the perfect Rehoboth photo on your FB page, but I will try not to be that mean.

2. b_young

17/06/2014 at 9:48 am

There’s something of myth-making in what you are doing, moving the mother. (ugh, so many Ems) Anyway. Here’s what my stare found:

day’s eye into black depths
    petal slits in a disk array
    bathtub overflow drain

mo’ betta later

3. georgeplace2013

17/06/2014 at 10:32 am

You’d think I have a bone to pick with someone… nah, : )

24/06/2014 at 3:50 pm

Really? Can’t wait. Heading over.

17/06/2014 at 12:03 pm

Nice to be on the fifth floor of the hotel. Better view.

24/06/2014 at 3:52 pm

Very nice. I do hope you are having a lovely time, Jules

• julespaige

24/06/2014 at 5:31 pm

Looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tomorrow night. Only really had a couple of touristy days. Hubby was working. But at least I did get to see him most days for lunch and dinner!

Hope your ‘process’ is going well. ‘Mom’ went visiting and forgot to tell her ‘kids’. But once I called the place and they said she was with her cousins we knew she was OK. She thought she told us…You have to watch out for those really old folks though they like to pretend they are more feeble than they are and use age as an excuse. :)

24/06/2014 at 6:32 pm

I’m learning fast, Jules.

• julespaige

24/06/2014 at 6:42 pm

So much fun being the middle of ‘The Sandwich Generation’.

Maybe when I get back we can ‘talk’ , though you’ll have to remind me ‘how’. Not that I’ll have and answers to your questions. But maybe I can give you a tad bit of a heads up.

25/06/2014 at 9:09 pm

It’s never dull, Jules.

It will be a pleasure, but how about when I get back to Atlanta and have my real computer? First week of August. It will be good to hear your voice.

• julespaige

26/06/2014 at 9:52 am

Sounds like a plan…
                (took about 13 hours from about 8:30a, or 11:30a (PA) time to about 12 midnight PA time to get home.

Now the fun begins – catching up on house chores…

26/06/2014 at 10:47 am

Good! Remind me ;-)
                  Ack.
                  Ick.

17/06/2014 at 11:27 pm

Wow. I just wrote a totally verbose comment about microwaves- how I don’t have one but I remember that feeling at first thinking it’s there but it’s not…and siblings – that it’s magical that you guys all got together and how blessed your mom is. There was a lot more…probably too much more…any way wishing smiles and strength for the rest of this move…you’re SO getting there!

Thank you for the tryout, Margo!! :)

24/06/2014 at 3:58 pm

For a moment there, Hannah, I was alarmed. What is she sniffing, I thought. Then I reread and realised you were talking about me, lol. I think the three of us are closer now than we would have been had we had normal visits throughout the years. We have discovered a great enjoyment in and of each other.

You are always welcome, Hannah :-)

• Hannah Gosselin

24/06/2014 at 8:18 pm

Funny! Yeah, my summed up version of what I had tried to state the first time got a little lost in the translation. ;) I think sibling relationships are so special and I’m so happy for you guys. :)

6. purplepeninportland

17/06/2014 at 11:36 pm

Hi Margo, How nice to enjoy seeing everyone again. Have fun!

Mine is up at: https://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/candle/

24/06/2014 at 6:33 pm

Good to see you, Sara. I was getting twitchy with your absence!

7. Yousei Hime

18/06/2014 at 8:30 am

air shimmers
    as people pass
    reflected
    in man-made canals
    San Antonio

• julespaige

19/06/2014 at 9:16 pm

Reminds me of the Marina Del Rey canals. I know someone who lives near them. I’ve walk the bridges over those canals on a few visits. Nice.

• purplepeninportland

23/06/2014 at 11:50 am

Love this!

24/06/2014 at 6:34 pm

Ahh! I LOVE this, Yousei.