Poem Tryouts: Finish It

03 Jun

7:00 a.m. — Walnut Creek

listening to the dryer

Hello, everyone. I have arrived at my mother’s in California. We spent much of today going through drawers and closets sorting, in one room. She has collected a lot of stuff, a lot of tiny stuff. We’ll move to another room tomorrow. I have two thoughts already: Don’t get old and throw everything out. Now.

Our first summer prompt is an easy one but should be fun. Finish an unfinished poem.

That’s it. Bye. No? You want at least a semblance of chat, as long as I am here? Okay. Think about your notebooks/ computer files and go back to the oldest ones. Glance through your poem drafts and note the ones you never got back to, although you meant to. Or, the ones that just were not working but you really would have liked them to. The ones where you only managed a couple of lines and the brain said ‘Enh’. Or, go back to a poem you began this year and were interrupted/distracted from finishing and you forgot about it. Now’s your chance.

Finish an unfinished poem. You will feel great satisfaction. Then post it and bring us the link so we can see what you had left undone and have now completed.

I shall see you again next Tuesday, same time, same place.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 03/06/2014 in exercises, poetry, Summer

Tags: , ,

42 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Finish It

1. b_young

03/06/2014 at 10:50 am

Throw it all out too soon, and you’ll have room and time to get more.

Still unfinished, I’m afraid.

03/06/2014 at 11:33 am

Yeh, yeh, I know. I don’t talk during the summer. I must be avoiding something.

I figure all our poems, even when finished are never finished.

03/06/2014 at 12:15 pm

You can say that again – at least if you mean that we are never finished with our poems, ie keep giving them the odd tweak. I rarely “unfinish” a poem, once started, but I did write half a poem the other morning and Jock was nagging at me to get up so we could go shopping. I forgot about the poem until reading your post, so I’ll get back to it.

As for growing old and having a clearout, it was clearing out and packing for last year’s move that broke two vertebrae in my very old back. The obvious solution is to get a daughter to do the job

love, ViV x

03/06/2014 at 1:07 pm

Yes, I did have a smart alec remark on my tongue, but I’m too tired and ‘sides I’m too fond of you [which is not to say I shall not occasionally snort and say 'get a daughter, indeed'!].

You just get back to your poem, missy.

03/06/2014 at 12:00 pm

This will take a while, so I suggest that you put the cat out and don’t wait up for me.

3. barbcrary

03/06/2014 at 10:28 pm

Yeah, well, lady, you asked for it. Thanks for the kick in the posterior.

05/06/2014 at 12:37 pm

Kicks furnished anytime, Barb. I’m on my way.

4. markwindham

03/06/2014 at 10:28 pm

I would like to take a moment to comment on the utter cruelty of this prompt. My two points of contention:
    1) What is this ‘finished’ that you speak of? I am not familiar with this concept.
    2)I just checked; there are 414 files in my ‘come back to’ folder. “Pick one” she says.

05/06/2014 at 12:13 pm

heh heh heh — it’s all part of my plan

03/06/2014 at 10:50 pm

Thank you Margo…I so feel your pain…I’ve been there in those going through so many small things shoes. I hope it goes smoothly and quickly…you may need to have a distraction, I hope you don’t need to discuss to much what goes and stays.

05/06/2014 at 12:17 pm

Hannah, you would laugh if you could see the place — piles everywhere. Yesterday, after mom assured me she had been through her dresser, and I opened the top drawer and saw things I was pretty sure she wouldn’t take — you know, those small things! — She allowed as how she must not have gone through that drawer. That’s when I decided that really, she has lots of lovely things going, I can make the decision on stuff I come across, now.

I’m heading over.

• Hannah Gosselin

05/06/2014 at 12:24 pm

Oh, it’s SO tricky…and it’s just when things start to look so lovely and sentimentality sets in that the box labeled, “for me,” starts to pile up with these small things…it is tricky. You’re doing awesome work though Margo…be strong…it’s not easy work especially if the owner of said belongings has stories for each item and reasons why old, old tin turkey pans stacked in a corner are good for this certain purpose and the other. Sigh….sending you good cleaning energy my friend. :) and a smile.

6. thelanguageofherhand

04/06/2014 at 5:56 am

Hello Margo, so happy that you arrived safely, I am like so many, with tons left to work on especially from April, will do my best if i can also keep the internet working, one of the haphazards of being here in Algeria, its mostly good but occasionally it flounders lol

05/06/2014 at 12:19 pm

I will take your poems anytime the ether allows them through. I would think Algeria provides plenty of material for poems.

7. rosross

04/06/2014 at 10:32 am

I don’t have any unfinished poems ….. and on the basis that anything and everything can be unfinished but I would not know where to start, I might ponder this for a bit. :)

05/06/2014 at 12:20 pm

I smiled when I read you comment, Ros [as well as being very happy to see you]. You wouldn’t have an unfinished poem. How about a poem that went one way but there is another direction it might have taken?

8. rosross

04/06/2014 at 10:47 am

05/06/2014 at 12:21 pm

Ignore above comment. You pondered. I’ll be over momentarily.

05/06/2014 at 6:08 am

I have one more really early morning and one more looong day. Then I have the weekend to do yard work and think of packing…7 days until I head east.

(FYI Son of Son is four!)

05/06/2014 at 12:22 pm

Not that you are counting ;-)

Four! Good grief!

• julespaige

05/06/2014 at 12:27 pm

I’m not but you can be sure he is :)

10. georgeplace2013

05/06/2014 at 7:17 pm

I’m going to have to choose another one. This one is not responding at all. I don’t think there is a pulse at all. Sigh. Get back with you later. btw, my mother-in-law said she is not doing one single thing. She’s leaving the whole mess to her daughters to clean out later.

05/06/2014 at 7:44 pm

I’ll be around.

Warn your sisters-in-law: Get out NOW! My son told me he is putting us in a home when we are seventy and, therefore, still thinking clearly [he hopes].

• georgeplace2013

05/06/2014 at 7:51 pm

Some days there isn’t a clear thought in my head… not yet 70 : )

05/06/2014 at 7:54 pm

Yes, I am laughing with you. Let’s not tell my son this happens to us.

• barbcrary

10/06/2014 at 8:07 am

Margo, I just had to jump into the discussion here. Tell your son to go to YouTube and find Carole King’s performance on the Tony Awards the other night. She is 72. She emphatically does not belong in a “home,” no matter how many cats or other possessions she has at her house. Funny how the definition of old age changes with age – or own, of course.

10/06/2014 at 10:57 am

Barb, my son was joking. All his relatives live into their late nineties and early hundreds. So, mom is different in her behaviour so ‘young’. I’m being told I can’t get old before I’m old, say 95.

• barbcrary

10/06/2014 at 3:18 pm

I was kidding too. The closer I get to 72 myself, the happier it makes me to see folks like CK knocking it out of the park, as she did on Sunday. Good luck with your mom’s move.

11/06/2014 at 11:52 am

Grin. I sent him to youtube.

11. georgeplace2013

09/06/2014 at 9:25 am

Well, I did one then forgot to post it. Don’t you have ESP, Margo?

09/06/2014 at 4:10 pm