Poetics Serendipity: Summer Calendar

29 May

listening to A Worried Man sung by the Kingston Trio [great sing along song]

Hello, all. How are you? Well, I hope. I am busy inventing new ways to avoid packing. I can’t believe I leave Sunday, for two months. Towards that, I am hoping to publish the prompt calendar today. I say hope because it involves technology. I practiced on one of my closed blogs and was successful… only I have forgotten how I got there.

Okay. File downloaded, WordPress import engaged, they’ll let me know… I think I’ll go get a cup of coffee, or contemplate my suitcase… 8:38, checking, still importing. Hmmm. Okay, maybe a video game. I’ll pretend I have no blog to post. That’ll larn ‘em. It’s in! Now, to get it on here. Go get yourselves a cuppa.

9: 08 Well, damn. It looks like this theme does not support fun. You will have to do with a straightforward calendar that won’t let you play. Barbara Y. designed the calendar and has it so that you will know ahead of time every prompt for the summer. If for any reason all I can do is post a blank page for you to leave your links at, the calendar gives you a general idea what I may have talked to you about. In those cases interpretations of prompts are wide open [not that they aren't anyway]. You will notice that for two that may have stumped you, Barbara gives footnotes.

So I shall see you tomorrow for the final prompt roundup until August. I shall be with you each Tuesday, but not talking, other than to explain my idea for each prompt or to give you images. Write poems, post your links, visit each other, as usual.

Bookmark this page! Happy writing, everyone.

PS My preview is showing a lot of space after the calendar. I tried several things, then decided life is rough and sometimes we have to live with these things.

Posted by on 29/05/2014 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , ,

20 responses to “Poetics Serendipity: Summer Calendar

1. barbcrary

29/05/2014 at 9:52 am

Quick before your summer hiatus, explain the calendar concept to a newbie. Step away from the suitcase – PLEEEEASE?

29/05/2014 at 10:17 am

Oh, I did need that laugh. Thank you.

Okay. During the summer I only post on Tuesdays and I don’t comment. That’s pretty much it, but it allows me a rest. If all goes well [the wifi works at my mother's], I shall put up a prompt every Tuesday and you all do just as usual. The twist is that if you see a prompt, say 11, when you are going to be out of town but you really want to try it now rather than later, do so. You can choose to do the prompts in any order and when you post, just say: I know today is 4, but I’m doing#11.

Does this make sense? If you have questions during the summer, ask. If I have a connection I will answer. And, there is Facebook!

I got the suitcase packed while waiting for the file to import!

Summer plans?

2. barbcrary

29/05/2014 at 10:46 am

So what is the calendar that’s here? Is it a summary of the Tuesday prompts to come? I’m still confused. Perhaps dreaming of my two weeks at the end of June when I’ll be in Rehoboth with the fam. Jealous yet?

• barbcrary

29/05/2014 at 10:47 am

Also a week in Maine at the end of July. It will be a beachy summer this year.

29/05/2014 at 12:08 pm

Sorry — was out getting the summer haircut.

Yes. Each date is one Tuesday, so that #1 will appear on the 3rd of June, #2 on the 10th, and on. Each tile tells you the theme for that Tuesday, so that the very first thing we are going to play with is going through our notebooks and finding an unfinished something and finishing it.

I am not a terribly articulate person [I told my students at the beginning of each year that part of the course was figuring out what I wanted based on what I said. One year I had a translator. When the class sat looking puzzled, she would turn to her classmates and say "Oh, for Heaven's sake, she wants us to ...' I thought it was hysterical and very useful. A shame she had to move on to her senior year.]. So, really, if confusion still reigns, ask more.

Two full weeks. Wretched woman.

• barbcrary

29/05/2014 at 12:39 pm

Thanks for clarifying. Where are you off to?

29/05/2014 at 1:34 pm

First stop Walnut Creek, California, to get my mother packed up and moved to San Antonio, our next stop. On the way back to Atlanta, we hope to detour through Ohio to see old friends from Jakarta days. Is it August yet?

• barbcrary

29/05/2014 at 1:51 pm

Wow. You’ll be seeing a lot of the country! Should be fun – and inspirational.

29/05/2014 at 2:29 pm

My notebook and pen are to hand at all times! Don’t forget yours, even on the beach. That, or a phone you can talk into/record.

3. b_young

29/05/2014 at 5:39 pm

I think I’m to blame for the white space. This version is a jpeg–a picture. Unlike the fancy version I can’t remember how we got to work. That one was 15 jpgs.
    Have a good…well, not a vacation, since you’re going to be working…trip. Don’t forget to breathe. We’re back. The house is still standing. Vet says the cats are ok. Nothing in the house to eat but peanut butter and some tupelo honey we brought back. How do you manage?

29/05/2014 at 6:02 pm

Not a problem. By now you know not much bothers me [okay, my mother getting suddenly old bothers me].
      Thank you. The er, wish for the real thing for me is appreciated. Right, breathe. I do keep forgetting. Sigh.
      Okay, is this rhetorical? You mean manage going away and coming back after two months? Let me know because I am more than happy to answer.

• b_young

29/05/2014 at 6:53 pm

Mostly rhetorical. I feel too guilty about the cats. (Although: we got back after a week+ and found that I’d left the A/C powered all the way. Empty house at 72…well it did feel good coming in to that instead of 85)

29/05/2014 at 9:48 pm

This is lovely, Margo and B!! Thank you for all this magic word puzzling potentiality!! ) Safe travels and all that jazz…smiles for your while away!!

30/05/2014 at 7:24 am

It is fun, isn’t it, Hannah! I’ll carry your smiles with me and we’ll see how long I make it this year without visiting you all. I might need the company!

30/05/2014 at 4:23 am

Yeah number 5! Eat lots of sourdough on my behalf, please. Yum!

30/05/2014 at 7:25 am

I thought of you when I put that in Misk. Knew you’d like it. Sourdough, check!

30/05/2014 at 9:27 am

Ah… well I offer this ‘new’ sort of un-named short form taken from a Misky comment.
    Does it add up?

I think I’m going to have to remember to take breaths as the first week of June approaches –
    son is going away and DIL will be dropping kidlets off at 6:30am until about 5pm M-F.

Safe travels!!!

30/05/2014 at 9:54 am

Thank you, Jules. To you as well, when you head coastward.

Deep breaths, Jules.