Oulipoem 4: April 4 — Fibonnaci Fibbing

04 Apr

Well, yick. I am happy for those of you who had fun. Fib did not grab me, so I went way out in bending the rules after I did one to the letter. Both are short.

The prompt:

‘In a Fibonacci sequence, each term is the sum of the two terms immediately preceding it, typically with 1 as the first term: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5,8, 13, 21, 34, 55 and so on.

Select an article from your newspaper and create a poem using the words that correspond with the numbers in the sequence. Your poem will take the form of first word, first word, second word, third word, fifth word, eighth word, thirteenth word, etc. You can continue until you’ve run out of words in your article or until you’re happy with the poem’s conclusion.’

The poem to the number 8 [I know, no staying power]:

Rob, rob
the mob:
the story that
makes guys.

LaSalle, Mick. ‘Nitwit Thieves,’ San Francisco Chronicle, 4 April, 2014. E11

Then I looked around and wondered whether I could make the Crossword work. First, I did the crossword. My Fibonacci counts used three sources: the across clues; the down clues; the resulting words. My rough draft shows the possibilities I considered.

The possibilities to the number 55 — I would have continued but ran out of words:

across, across

across,across the bridge
on river blue
the sleeping creator
cued chorus,
flowery

San Francisco Chronicle Crossword, 4 April, 2014. E11

Conclusion:

I like the to the letter one better, but that might be because the other begins to sound sappy.

Yick.

Posted by on 04/04/2014 in exercises, oulipost, poems, poetry

Tags: , , , , , , ,

19 responses to “Oulipoem 4: April 4 — Fibonnaci Fibbing

1. barbcrary

04/04/2014 at 3:07 pm

I agree, Margo. Your little tale about the mob sounds like how “dose” guys would talk, I think.

04/04/2014 at 3:33 pm

Thanks, Barb. It does have that sort of raffish air!

• whimsygizmo

04/04/2014 at 3:42 pm

I liked that one for that reason, too. I like the second one a lot, though. I might have cut it before the word “flowery,” though. Maybe that’s where the “sappy” comes in, for you, and you could eliminate it? I love “the sleeping creator cued chorus.” Gorgeous. :)

I found a wacky article, and two others, to play with. These were interesting. Thank you!

04/04/2014 at 3:07 pm

Hmmm….just sticking with the news paper. Maybe use an advice column. Or wedding or anniversary announcement. Or (ick?) an editorial letter?

04/04/2014 at 3:31 pm

Jules, I had noticed while looking at the paper, yesterday, that the things you mention looked like possibilities because they are more conversational. Thank you!

3. james w. moore

04/04/2014 at 3:10 pm

i like that you included the ‘possibilities’ – i really wanted to include each iteration in the “Definitional” piece yesterday. i found things to admire here in both the possibilities and what you did. love the “cued chorus.” well done.

4. sonjajohanson10

04/04/2014 at 3:26 pm

Yup, I like the middle one best, too. Great idea to use the crossword!

04/04/2014 at 3:31 pm

Sonja, the middle one is the only one that makes me want to play.

5. Reiser Perkins

04/04/2014 at 3:42 pm

I like the “to the letter” one, too. It’s actually one of the best that I’ve read so far. I too felt very YICK about the whole thing. Looking forward to moving on :)

6. whimsygizmo

04/04/2014 at 3:43 pm

PS: “The possibilities to the number 55″ would make an excellent poem title. ;)

04/04/2014 at 5:28 pm

You are right! Now I’m fixating on it, de :-)

7. Nancy Chen Long

04/04/2014 at 4:21 pm

Hmmm, I like both versions, Margo, for different reasons. The first pops with sound and attitude; I can hear it being sung in the musical “Grease” or something like that;) And the second is almost haiku-ish in its first three lines.

I’m with you, in the ‘yick’ camp–this wasn’t my favorite technique.

8. nwian

04/04/2014 at 5:09 pm

04/04/2014 at 5:23 pm

04/04/2014 at 8:54 pm

Well I’m a sap for the sappy then! Ha-ha…I really like the imagery conjured with the second – though I am inclined toward birds lately, all birds and heron are especially cool.

Warm smiles. :)

04/04/2014 at 9:46 pm

Well, I’m with you on birds, Hannah. My brother just moved to a small town in Florida and their house is on a small pond/lake. They have anhingga, heron, cormorants, kites, pelicans… They’ve named each of them :-D. I could sit in their living room and watch for hours.

• Hannah Gosselin

04/04/2014 at 10:25 pm

Oh, how lovely…I would be right there with you…I find them really entertaining, in fact!

Boat-Tailed Grackles, Redwinged-Blackbirds, Robins, Mourning Doves, Sparrows, Blue Jays, chickadees, ducks, ruffled grouse, I saw a bald eagle yesterday…I’m always on the look-out and up for all of these winged friends of ours. :)