Oulipoem 3: April 3 — Definitional Lit

03 Apr

Today’s prompt can get wild and crazy. The biggest challenge is to have the poem not sound like a dictionary [unless you want it to].

The prompt:

‘Select a single sentence from a newspaper article. Replace each meaningful word in the text [verb, noun, adjective, adverb] by its dictionary definition. Repeat this treatment on the resulting sentence, and so on, until you’ve had enough! Note that after only two such treatments with a relatively compact dictionary, even a two-word sentence can produce an accumulation of 57 words.’

The Confession:

After jotting down definitions for my words, I was taken with the list and did not continue to further devolve? evolve? the definitions. Instead I used the definitions, example sentences, and synonyms provided by the dictionary, for the words in my original phrase.

The poem and the phrase, as title:

The Big Bang Theory

I

He was a big man in his field:
the theory that there is life on other planets;
considerable in extent and intensity
important, as in power, influence, standing
(elder) generous, magnanimous,
brimming full
(large, as in size, height, width)
extravagantly boastful
conceited and unduly self-confident
(grown-up, mature,
big enough to know better)
a big liar; a big success.

On a grand scale,
of major concern,
a big problem.

II

He started with a sudden movement, a show of energy
(a sudden intense pleasure, thrill, excitement).

Loudly, abruptly, violently, she fell against the wall,
a resounding stroke, a blow: a nasty bang on the head,
a loud, explosive noise, as the discharge of a gun

A door closed noisily,

an exclamation point.

III

My theory is he never stops to think,
a speculative view, a guess.

The sources:

The San Francisco Chronicle T.V. Guide
Dictionary.com

Posted by on 03/04/2014 in exercises, oulipost, poems, poetry

Tags: , , , , , , ,

18 responses to “Oulipoem 3: April 3 — Definitional Lit

03/04/2014 at 2:59 pm

Is number 3 the original sentence?

Mine is at http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/day-3-oulipost-kissing-graffiti/

03/04/2014 at 3:04 pm

Original sentence: The Big Bang Theory

2. Nancy Chen Long

03/04/2014 at 3:31 pm

I love the way you tweaked the process and mined so much wonderfulness from one small phrase. Brilliant,

3. Reiser Perkins

03/04/2014 at 3:47 pm

I like how you’ve managed to create a story, and your use of parenthesis really works here.

4. whimsygizmo

03/04/2014 at 5:03 pm

Margo, I love love LOVE your take on this! So much better than mine, that’s for sure! ;) I especially like:
    “A door closed noisily,

an exclamation point.”

The sentences in the dictionary always make me smile, intrigue me. I.LOVE.This.

03/04/2014 at 6:28 pm

I love how much fun you are having, de. Hint for tomorrow: an Oulipian take on the Fibonacci. I’m looking forward to the play but suspect much reading might be required.

• whimsygizmo

03/04/2014 at 6:32 pm

Ooooo! I LOVE to Fib! Yay! Thanks for the heads up. Fridays run slower and easier. Thursdays are hectic in my world.

5. sonjajohanson10

03/04/2014 at 6:00 pm

Nice spacing, breaks – they gave me time to absorb the text.

03/04/2014 at 7:58 pm

Excellent process!! I agree about the breaks and spacing…and I think your choice to not evolve or devolve was a good one too…I might come back to this one…like De, Thursday is a busy day for me, too. Just now turning on old Betty to try n’ catch up. :/

See you tomorrow. :)

03/04/2014 at 8:10 pm

Tomorrow is a challenge. I’ll look for you :-D

7. Beth Ayer (@bethdayer)

04/04/2014 at 12:26 am

I love the last stanza, and the way you managed to create a story from this constraint. Well done!

8. Pamela

04/04/2014 at 10:07 am

Great prompt, Margo. I love your end result. These are going to get more difficult I imagine. Keep poeming, my friend.

04/04/2014 at 1:13 pm

Thanks, Pamela! I shall strive.

m

9. nwian

04/04/2014 at 1:34 pm

This was a very cool prompt. Here’s my attempt :) http://confessionsinstories.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-is-it-possible.html

04/04/2014 at 2:23 pm

I enjoyed it and am on my way to your place.