Poem Tryouts: Devastation

25 Feb

listening to Kenny Rogers singing The Gambler

Hello, all. Image day, today. Sometime last week an email arrived from my brother with the photograph I am going to use. When I opened the image, I was momentarily stunned. I have seen many war photographs, but something about the composition of this one hits me at the core. You will need to click on the image so it fills your screen, to get the full impact.

kiev imagur

I’m not asking you to write a political poem, or even a poem about battles and revolutions, although, you might allude to these events. Instead, zoom in on several spots and look for one image, within the larger whole, that speaks to you. Even within the scene you zoom into, you can pick a smaller image, a single item.

You have a number of paths you can try:

You can compare the devastation to that left by nature’s storms.

You can speak to the devastation wrought by man.

You can do a straightforward description with no comment from your speaker.

You can write metaphorically about an image and allude subtly to the larger cause.

You can go where your mind takes you.

I shall see you Thursday for a couple of links; Friday for the prompts roundup; and Tuesday for a regular prompt [the body will come back, but breaks are needed].

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 25/02/2014 in exercises, links, poems, poetry

Tags: , ,

12 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Devastation

1. brian miller

25/02/2014 at 12:00 pm

there is a photo going around where the right side is a before and the left after….its crazy the difference and you def see the impact…

the gambler is a great song as well…

25/02/2014 at 1:24 pm

I found the photo, Brian. Thanks for the tip. It makes it even more unreal.

Love Kenny Rogers!

2. barbara_y

25/02/2014 at 12:05 pm

It’s what I think I see. If it’s wrong, it doesn’t matter. Does it?

25/02/2014 at 1:24 pm

That’s the beauty, Barbara. There is no wrong and no, it doesn’t matter.

25/02/2014 at 1:22 pm

I love it when I can do a three fer….

(yep, a haibun for you – however tenuous the link to your prompt…you do get a whole haiku.)

4. rosross

26/02/2014 at 5:16 am

A sobering and salient image. thanks Margo.

5. purplepeninportland