Poem Tryouts: You’re Ribbing Me!

18 Feb

listening to Love Alone Is Worth The Fight sung by Switchfoot [21st century, Misk!]

Hello, all. I hope everyone is hanging in. Signs of Spring abound [although the NE and NW US might query that]. As soon as the rain stops deluging Europe and storming eastern Australia, I am sure they will both see signs of their upcoming seasons. I have had the Olympics on most of the past few days and have been made more aware of the body and how it does and doesn’t work. Ribs have a hard time of it.

Did you know that the technical name for the rib is costa? Such a simple little word, that originally meant side, in Latin. In French it became costelette, ‘little rib piece,’ better known by many as cutlet. I know: Ahah! ribs Abbaye_aux_hommes_intérieur_03

We are all familiar with spareribs and shortribs, and, er, our ribs, but ribs also describe the projecting molding on the underside of a church vault or other ceiling, which may be ornamental or structural. I have been in some underground vaults that use the same new-ribs boatdesign, as the abbey to the left. Although not visible the spine runs down the centre and each rib connects to it.

If you have ever seen a boat mid-build, you have seen its ribs and spine, more familiar to the eye as similar to ours than the abbey ceiling.

Ribbing for sweater BackOther visible ribbing can be found in clothing. Sweaters are the first to come to my mind. [knitters and crocheters, I linked the photo to the blog it comes from; it looks fun.]

To rib someone, as in to tease, is a 20th century term, probably American. It comes from rib-tickler, which I’m thinking first arose from someone tickling someone else. You can see the logical development to anything that makes someone laugh.Ribcage

Finally, consider the rib cage of the human body. In the image you can see the shape of the cage, horizontal instead of vertical bars. If you want to take metaphorical flight, what birds does this cage enclose? What locks, or unlocks, this cage?

You can also write about any memory, or story you know of, involving ribs. I look forward to seeing how you approach this. Is there a form that simulates a ribcage?

I shall see you Thursday for information about two new ezines; Friday for the weekly prompt roundup; and next Tuesday for our image prompt.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 18/02/2014 in exercises, poems, poetry

Tags: , , ,

21 responses to “Poem Tryouts: You’re Ribbing Me!

1. michael

18/02/2014 at 2:16 pm

hi Margo, it’s been a while, but this prompt tickled me to try and write something and try the link thing. thanks for the inspiration.

19/02/2014 at 7:37 am

I’m glad you’re enjoying the body parts, Sara!

19/02/2014 at 8:13 am

A few things you might enjoy, a concrete haibun about a golfer….oy!

19/02/2014 at 8:31 am

On my way [as is more snow, your way!!!].

• julespaige

19/02/2014 at 8:33 am

So far it is just rain, but it could get nasty and freeze.

3. Irene

19/02/2014 at 9:49 am

19/02/2014 at 3:28 pm

Thanks, Irene. i enjoy the research and setting them up. I’ll try and make them a regular thing.

• Irene

20/02/2014 at 6:57 pm

It’s didactic without being didactic. Which I like.
        Sorry if my poem isn’t of your ilk.

21/02/2014 at 7:12 am

Oh! You had a link there. I didn’t spot it. My apologies. i thought you were chatting. I’ll be over as soon as my brain is awake.

21/02/2014 at 7:41 am

I like the being didactic without being didactic. The last four lines are stunning.

In case I am missing something, are there comments on your blog?

• Irene

21/02/2014 at 8:07 am

Thanks Margo. Need to click on speech bubble to leave a comment. Just click about when in doubt.

20/02/2014 at 10:26 pm

Tuesday seems like ages ago…I’ve been thinking about being here since then…here I am…thank you, Margo. :)!

21/02/2014 at 7:13 am

And glad I am to see you, Hannah :-)