Poem Tryouts: Let’s Cross That Bridge

28 Jan

7:21 a.m.

listening to On Top of Old Smokey by The Weavers — indulging in a morning of folk music. Thank you, Pete Seeger.

Hello, all. Already we are near the end of the first month. Moon watchers: The 30th is a super moon, albeit a new one.

The image is one that came by last week from a group I follow on Facebook, I Require Art. We tend to the same tastes and what I particularly appreciate is that they look out less commonly known works by the greats, as well as introducing lesser known artists.

A High Bridge by Night Eijiro Kobayashi

A High Bridge by Night
Eijiro Kobayashi

The painting had such an immediate effect on me that I let it cut in line. There are many ways you can go about this.

Write the poem that sprang to mind on first seeing the image.

Write a poem to do with the mood the painting evokes in you [note, the poem should be about the mood, not the painting].

Write about an individual part that touches on something you remember — not necessarily in your life; can be a news article. You can address rowing, riding in a gondola, bridges, lights at night, street lamps and stars, water at night…

The choice of whether or not to make the painting part of the poem, is always yours. Try both and see what you have. You can post two poems!

I shall see you Thursday for a link or two; Friday for this week’s roundup of prompts; and, Tuesday for the first in a possible series of prompts on body parts [what do you mean that sounds macabre?].

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 28/01/2014 in exercises, poems, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

70 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Let’s Cross That Bridge

28/01/2014 at 8:05 am

Good morning, Margo!! Just want to say hi before I get started…my heart is so happy to see you here today…sigh…bickering boys and a late start bus…this is the perfect “tune-out” and “tune-in” to a poetry escape…magical, magical escape. ;)

Body parts…right on cue…have been working on an “I am” series with a writing group in the 3-D world…writing to all the body parts and then delving into the part that had the most to say…was fun. :)

Okay see you soon!

• barbara_y

28/01/2014 at 8:20 am

hands. touching hands. reaching out……
      eye eye eye eye canta y no llores

28/01/2014 at 9:15 am

Our serendipity continues to amaze! Some other site did a few body prompts. I’m thinking the old Poetic Bloomings, but I’m going to change things up. heh heh heh. At least, that’s the plan.

I love that the weather warnings are coming from everywhere except New England! Treasure those open school days ;-).

• Hannah Gosselin

28/01/2014 at 10:50 am

I was on the wrong day!! It’s Tuesday not Wednesday…missed the bus and had to drive my kid to school. :( Crazyness. I guess now I’ll get started, she says with one eyebrow raised in contempt for her own confusion…. ;)

28/01/2014 at 12:39 pm

I’m laughing with you, really I am. Everything for a reason, right?!

• Hannah Gosselin

28/01/2014 at 12:41 pm

That is EXACTLY what the Daily Bread reading says today!! Wow. Right on the money, Margo….finishing touches on your poem right now. :)

28/01/2014 at 12:43 pm

I await and watch the snow.

• Hannah Gosselin

28/01/2014 at 12:49 pm

The skies must be painted gray in your world today…weighted with the burden of waiting to birth… brilliantly of snow.

Here she is!! :) I really enjoyed this image Margo…a big thing with stars lately…lots of coincidental cosmos and stars in my world these days…more serendipity, I love it…with a warmed heart, I do.

28/01/2014 at 12:57 pm

The snow is sticking already. I wish it were going to last more than two days!

May you always have that warmed heart, no matter what.

• Hannah Gosselin

28/01/2014 at 1:33 pm

Yes, the snow is so short-lived these days…sigh…and more sigh and slight tearing…no matter what, I’ll strive for that always. Thank you.

2. sophiebowns

28/01/2014 at 8:05 am

This is great & well written!

28/01/2014 at 9:12 am

Thank you! That’s nice to hear, as I am working with my early morning brain.

3. Yousei Hime

28/01/2014 at 8:22 am

midnight stillness
    on the river’s surface
    the universe

28/01/2014 at 9:17 am

Yes. Lovely, Yousei. I forgot to mention form should be considered. This is a beautiful haiku.

• Yousei Hime

28/01/2014 at 9:57 am

I meant to ask, to you mention Seeger because of his passing? I heard about it on the way to work this morning. Amazing, his contribution to music and beyond.

28/01/2014 at 10:48 am

Yes. I had found out from my husband who gets to news an hour before I do.

• georgeplace2013

28/01/2014 at 12:57 pm

I love that,Yousei

• Hannah Gosselin

28/01/2014 at 1:49 pm

Oh, this is sigh-worthy…beautiful mind image there…lovely haiku Yousei.

28/01/2014 at 10:47 am

Well, hello, you poor water up to your eyebrows you.

• Misky

28/01/2014 at 10:49 am

At least I’m not up to there in snow. Thankfully!!

4. georgeplace2013

28/01/2014 at 11:10 am

Beautiful picture! I am going to follow that fb page, thanks.
    I am going for a mood… http://georgeplaceblog.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/tendrils-of-the-night/

5. barbara_y

28/01/2014 at 11:43 am

The color in this painting is delicious.

28/01/2014 at 12:41 pm

I think that is what grabs me and pulls me in, Barbara.

We have snow.

6. markwindham

28/01/2014 at 10:04 pm

An idea not fully developed, but here two weeks in a row!

29/01/2014 at 10:53 am

Well hello! How lovely to see you again. I trust you were not caught up in yesterday’s madness. I watched the gridlock on Peachtree for eight hours. People are fascinating, idiots, but fascinating.

• markwindham

29/01/2014 at 11:39 am

I got caught at a luncheon, took about four hours to get home. Yes, idiots. once I got past them on empty roads I was fine. Kids still at schools around here, abandoned cars everywhere. I have 5 extra teens at my house that could not make it home. So, all safe and at home on my side, lots of horror stories though. We stubbornly did not participate in the milk and bread run, and now we have none. :) oh well, we will not starve before it melts.

7. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

29/01/2014 at 3:25 am

Grey Gloom
    on misty river,
    punctuated by pinprick light –
    pirogue passes beneath the height,
    of skeletal bridge
    peopled with idle watchers
    as dispirited fisherman
    poles through broad shallows,
    coming empty-handed home
    to angry wife and hungry night.

This is nothing like what I set out to write: it’s just what came out of the ends of my fingers.

• georgeplace2013

29/01/2014 at 5:43 am

I can feel his disappointment and dread. Good presentation of mood, Viv.

29/01/2014 at 9:34 am

I’ve just switched on the pc, to find that what was a grey picture on my laptop this morning has turned into a lovely bright turquoise colour on the big screen. I think I might write another poem, more cheerful!

29/01/2014 at 11:03 am

How funny. We’ll be here should you write another!

29/01/2014 at 10:58 am

ViV, those moments are of great wonder to me. I sit down actively focused on something only to have something else appear!
      ‘skeletal bridge
      peopled with idle watchers’
      strong image — I keep coming back to it.

• julespaige

30/01/2014 at 8:00 am

It must be true then what they say of first impressions…
      I was thinking of a different direction too, but…

Cheers, Jules

8. rosross

29/01/2014 at 5:16 am

A soulful, evocative painting. Good prompt.

30/01/2014 at 7:58 am

*she says hunkering down…before anything else I’m going to eat something warm!!! brrr 1F here*
    Mixing forms again ;)

30/01/2014 at 10:38 am

Soups and stews, Jules! I love winter food so long as I don’t have to go outside and be cold to earn it!

10. georgeplace2013

30/01/2014 at 10:34 am

Atlanta sounds like a mess – hope you are managing.

30/01/2014 at 10:37 am

Debi, we are lucky in our placement. We live within walking distance of everything, so we’re good. I did watch [on and off] for eight hours as the major street below our flat sat in gridlock. We’re into our second snow day while Atlantans recover.

11. georgeplace2013

30/01/2014 at 11:00 am

I’m in southern WV and it has been lots of snow and polar temps but nothing really we can’t handle. My D-I-L is in Birmingham and it has been crazy there. Glad you are doing well.

30/01/2014 at 7:06 pm

Just because aging is a different kind of bride. And I played with mixing some more different short forms for We Write Poems to create another ‘new’ haibun (?).

31/01/2014 at 9:27 am

Dang bride was supposed to be bridge, but you knew that…

I think one can take any form or combination of forms an add a haiku…does that make it a haibun? Maybe, maybe not. Did I mention I saw ‘Gravity’ – a nail-biter. I perhaps also defy gravity? ;)
    I know I bend to the breaking point all the rules … Bwahahhahaaahaaa!

31/01/2014 at 9:31 am

And, this is why I love you, Jules :-), all those things up there. Bride worked fine, too! Skip saw Gravity. I can’t do emotional pulls any more. I’m waiting for Clooney and Damon to save art works.

• julespaige

31/01/2014 at 9:35 am

Clooney is in that one too? I might wait for that in the rental mode. Movies are just too pricey these days. We had a gift card. And wouldn’t you know it the gift card charges you a fee to use it. Really?!?

31/01/2014 at 9:40 am

I know. That’s my big screen choice. There are so few movies I can go to with Skip that when one comes along, I grab it. They charged? Really?1? I mean…

• julespaige

31/01/2014 at 9:46 am

Fandgo gift card deducted a minimal transaction fee.
            Really. Come on guys.
            Hubby got popcorn – I forgot to ask him if he could use the balance on the card. Which won’t even get a single matinee ticket.
            You have to watch some of those gift cards…they charge you around $5 just to set them up. For a computer transaction that takes less than a blink of an eye. I refuse to get gift cards that charge me like that. And the ones that take a fee for inactivity. Really. That’s just not right.

31/01/2014 at 9:48 am

!
              I will keep an eye out from now on.

• julespaige

31/01/2014 at 10:12 am

It’s all in the fine print. Some bank cards – To gift ‘cash’ to others, charge you the buyer a set up fee. Especially if you buy them at the grocery or other convenience store.
                Some stores will not charge that fee if you get it from the originating store. I had one card that I misplaced but thankfully didn’t charge ‘maintenance’ fees so I was able to use the full value.
                Always ask though about that ‘maintenance fee’ – if you don’t intend to use it right away you could loose it. My son had a gift card to a music store that he never used and it went out of business. Kind of useless at that point.

31/01/2014 at 10:19 am

Thank you, ma’am. Duly noted!