Poem Tryouts: What Would You Leave?

07 Jan

listening to Back in the U.S.S.R. by the Beatles on my brand new super sweet nano [I have had a large heavy old one since, well, since they came out]

Hello, all. I hope all is well as we start the year. To those in the Northeast and Midwest, stay warm. An unlooked for reason to be glad my brother settled in Florida: I can complain when it is six degrees outside, as it is now. It’s no fun having children who live in DC and Vermont, when one wants to grouse about the cold.

I missed you, but then, I always do when I’m not in touch. By their tones, I’d say Joseph Harker, Barbara Young, and the bartenders at dVerse did too. We’re all back and you might notice a fresh energy to our voices.

For this week, I want you to write a poem that touches, in some way, on this question: What would you leave to the future of humanity? It might be something grand and unattainable, or something tiny but important, or something everyday that is getting lost in the shuffle of life.

Avoid the conditional, unless it’s part of your style and format for this poem. Avoid cliché. I know. That requires some thinking and it’s early in the year. I have faith in you.

I will not see you until next Tuesday, for a prompt that will involve a little research. Tomorrow I have gum surgery on the entire right side of my mouth. I suspect I shall be blissfully in the grip of codeine on the following days.

Welcome back and happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 07/01/2014 in exercises, poems, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

32 responses to “Poem Tryouts: What Would You Leave?

07/01/2014 at 10:21 am

Take care, and don’t bite your periodontitis. xx

07/01/2014 at 10:24 am

I hadn’t thought of that… If I giggle during the op and the pick slips, it’s all on you, Misk ;-).

2. barbara_y

07/01/2014 at 10:25 am

This is going to take some thought. At the moment I have six plastic drawers fanned around me on the bed, and several years’ poems. The categories are loose, and most of the poems: stinkers. But I bought myself one of those Keurig things, so there’s coffee.

You and your mouth have my sympathy. I whine for a week from a scaling. Take care.

07/01/2014 at 1:09 pm

Thank God for coffee. I look forward to the results of some thought!

3. georgeplace2013

07/01/2014 at 10:31 am

Glad to have you back. Sorry about your gum surgery but thank goodness for pain killers.

07/01/2014 at 1:12 pm

It’s good to be back, Debi. Thank goodness, indeed!

4. The Happy Amateur

07/01/2014 at 11:23 am

Happy New Year!
    Margo, this surgery doesn’t sound like fun… Good luck and have a smooth recovery afterwards.

I’ll try to ponder the question.. The first thought I had was my children, which I suppose is a cliche..a good one, though. They are pretty great, my kids. Certainly, my best two “poems.”

07/01/2014 at 1:15 pm

Happy New Year, Sasha. How lovely to see you!

The surgery itself is not bad; the three dozen injections that make it not bad are not fun. On the plus side I’ll lose about five pounds. No chewable food for about ten days.

I’m not sure leaving your children to humanity’s future is so cliché, if you can say why with specifics. I think it’s rather cool.

• The Happy Amateur

07/01/2014 at 1:24 pm

Just reading about those injections make me woozy.. Stay strong, Margo, and those tricky five pounds are the most difficult to lose, so it’s definitely a plus :-)

5. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

07/01/2014 at 2:43 pm

Hi Margo, glad you’re back. What’s all this about you being in the hands of the dental surgeon? No chewable food, but think of all the caramel ice-cream you can eat!
    My poetry is in the doldrums. What I would like to leave is world peace and an end to great riches and poverty. But that doesn’t make a poem. I’m too busy knitting warmies for our friend in Illinois to write today!
    Love,
    ViV

07/01/2014 at 3:43 pm

Hi ViV, So good to see you. I have to have my gums planed — sounds charming, doesn’t it. I had one quadrant done in November and am having two done tomorrow. You should see the fridge: yoghurt and puddings. But, you are right, I deserve ice cream. How lovely.
      I haven’t written an original poem since… well, if I go look I shall be depressed. Grin: you could write about the warmies and they would be all metaphorical they would.
      love,
      m

07/01/2014 at 5:26 pm

Oooo…goodies…so happy to see you back and with a meat-y challenge to chew on! Speaking of chewing good luck with your surgery…quick healing wished for you. And more on chewing…I’m chewing over my 30 Nov poems from Poetic Asides PAD to try and pull together a chapbook. Yes, I’m a chronic procrastinator. All of this to say…I will be working on this…soon!! Warm smiles!

14/01/2014 at 8:06 am

Hello there! I’m back :-). Always good to see you here!

7. georgeplace2013Debi

07/01/2014 at 8:32 pm

This is probably clichéd and Pollyannish but it is what came to mind.

14/01/2014 at 8:07 am

Sometimes that’s what is required, Debi. I’m on my way.

8. purplepeninportland

07/01/2014 at 11:24 pm

9. Irene

08/01/2014 at 8:01 am

Why, poems of course. Among other things. Welcome back, Margo.

14/01/2014 at 8:12 am

Good point, Irene. Thank you :-).

10. barbara_y

08/01/2014 at 9:58 am

Take this, Humanity, you mass, you enormity:
    You are not the be-all, end-all. You own
    the world the same way
    your collective skin belongs to virus,
    yeast and protozoans there for generations.

11. pmwanken

08/01/2014 at 10:46 am

HELLO, margoooo!! :) Praying for your surgery today. May all be well.

14/01/2014 at 8:14 am

Hello, you! Thank you for your prayers. They and the codeine took effect around Sunday evening, which is when I decided not to throw myself off a cliff :-).

12. mtedden

10/01/2014 at 10:33 am

Best of luck with your gum surgery Margo. I’m just recovering from mine…not as bad as I thought it would be and well worth the discomfort. Now to sort out those poems…oodles of them!

10/01/2014 at 10:03 pm

I’ve been sending healing vibes…hope you’re feeling better, Margo.

Here’s what I would do…

:) Thank you!

14/01/2014 at 8:18 am

They’re working, Hannah. I’m beginning to think maybe I’ll stick around ;-D.

I’m on my way.