Poem Tryouts: Photos as Metaphors

24 Sep

listening to John Whelan Skimming the Surface (instrumental)

Well, hello there. As I chortled over my idea for today’s prompt, based on one of Friday’s roundup prompts, I forgot this is image day, so have had to put aside my glee. I am always casting around for what I want to use as image, my greatest problem being one of provenance. The photographs I am using, therefore, are staying where I found them, but collected in one place. Field-trip!

For today’s exercise, the photographs are vehicles only. You are not writing about them, but about the metaphoric instance. I have written suggestions under each photograph. As always, should you have a completely different metaphor in mind, go with it. If you look at a photograph and something catches your poetic mind that you want to write about and it has nothing to do with metaphors and everything to do with the image… well, these things happen. Go with that, too.

Field-trip location: Go here. Don’t forget to bring sandwiches and coffee.

I shall see you Thursday for a couple of links; Friday for the prompt round-up; and next Tuesday for my put off prompt.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 24/09/2013 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , , , ,

39 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Photos as Metaphors

24/09/2013 at 8:01 am

Awe shucks, as I’m not on Pinterest they won’t show me the goods. I’ll live.
    We just had an old car show here last weekend. Maybe I’ll channel some of those oldies, not that I can add photos yet. But maybe the words will be enough…
    Didn’t get to Miller Time yet either.

But if you are starved for something from my neck of the woods, here’s a pair of haibun:

24/09/2013 at 10:55 am

I’m beginning to think it’s you, Jules. However, anyone reading comments, and not a member of Pinterest, are you being blocked?

Jules, so long as you are using the photos you have as metaphors, that’ll be dandy. I’ll try and get your way.

• julespaige

24/09/2013 at 11:11 am

It has to be that my hubby has blocked certain things that require ‘cookies’. And we all know places like Pinterest and Facebook love cookies – they want to track your every move.

Nothing at all comes up. Just a blank screen. The URL is there, but the body is ‘nothing’.

How about the snap shots the cobwebs of my rattled brain? The vast cavernous labyrinth occasionally lit by sparks of recognition and occasionally enlightenment?

24/09/2013 at 11:13 am

I like it, Jules :-D

• julespaige

24/09/2013 at 11:30 am

Ha – I got ‘em this time… OKey Dokey…lemme at ‘em….

(Sometimes when there is incoming…a comment or something I think signals get crossed.)

• rudyan

24/09/2013 at 11:11 am

I’m not on Pinterest either, Jules, but had no problem viewing them…

• julespaige

24/09/2013 at 11:24 am

My hubby is over protected computer wise. Since that is his department I have learned to live without some things.
        I’ll live – thanks.

It is possible that I just didn’t wait long enough, but Pinterest and I never did get along especially after I asked if one could join without being a facebook member. They never did reply…

2. Jeep Walters

24/09/2013 at 8:54 am

True peace comes at the edge of despair; when the only way out is up… Great montage of photos from which to choose, Margo. Thanks.

24/09/2013 at 11:46 am

Odd. I replied once to your comment. Hmm.

You are welcome. It’s my pleasure, Jeep.

3. rudyan

24/09/2013 at 11:09 am

Amazing photos, Margo…

4. georgeplace2013-Debi Swim

24/09/2013 at 12:43 pm

Really interesting pictures to choose from.

24/09/2013 at 1:03 pm

I am still going back and looking at the hair that looks like tree roots, Debi.

5. Wyoming Diva

24/09/2013 at 12:50 pm

Hello, everyone! Great photos – was hard to pick one. http://wyomingdivawritespoetry.blogspot.com/2013/09/becoming-visible.html

6. Carol Carlisle

24/09/2013 at 1:36 pm

Gosh everyone gets up so early. Here is my California offering. I used the photo I had planned for today but I metaphor-ized it. You pushed me to do just a little more THANKS! http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/sit-stay-the-gift-of-stillness/

24/09/2013 at 1:59 pm

You are entirely welcome. I don’t know about you lie-a-bed Californians ;-)

7. barbara_y

24/09/2013 at 2:25 pm

Fabulous images. I’m too much of a magpie to be on Pin. Think you can only do that sort of thing if you’re already so organized that you don’t need it.

24/09/2013 at 4:51 pm

The only way Pin works for me is that ! allowed myself to devote far too many hours when I first had it; also, I never pin pictures I find outside of Pinterest members. That helps a whole lot. I chose the boards I wanted to follow and when I want to leave the world, I go scroll them and choose.

24/09/2013 at 2:31 pm

Hi. Disclaimer: Whine-fest and not the good kind…there’s no cheese to go with it. ;)

I love your image choices, Margo…I’ll admit I was stunted by all the possibilities till I settled on one. Lots of good stuff. Thanky!

24/09/2013 at 4:53 pm

Don’t worry. If you whine too much without cheese I’ll smack you upside the head ‘-)

I thought about only offering a couple; what I think I will do is to offer this board again in a few weeks. I couldn’t bare to remove any ;-D

• Hannah Gosselin

24/09/2013 at 8:27 pm

:)!!! Ha! I love it! You know you have a true friend when you can count on them for a good smack!!

I think it was perfect…the amount of them it was just me…I was having trouble committing to any one thing today.

I think they’d be worth another round though, too.
        :)’s

24/09/2013 at 2:46 pm

Your photos were like Lay’s potato chips… couldn’t stop at one :)

10. markwindham

24/09/2013 at 3:48 pm

good images. the dude with the hair was a bit much. :)

24/09/2013 at 4:54 pm

Hey beach boy!

Isn’t the hair something?!

11. georgeplace2013-Debi Swim

24/09/2013 at 4:55 pm

It seemed everyone told a story so I decided to do a different picture and tell my story. Hope you don’t mind another poem.

24/09/2013 at 4:57 pm

I never mind a different poem, Debi. It’s fun to see a couple of responses from the same writer on the same subject.

12. Ruth