Poetics Serendipity

12 Sep

listening to Ka ‘Ano ‘i Pua sung by Keali Reichel — whose voice is sublime, should you be curious about contemporary Hawaiian music

Hello, everyone. I hope you are well. A reminder to longtime followers and a point for new followers. Although Thursday appears to be links driven, it is also where discussions can take place. If there is any part of writing poetry you would like to see me tackle, let me know in comments, or email me, margoroby(@)gmaildotcom.

As we approach the weekend, here are a few things to take with you:

1] Robert Lee Brewer has a fun challenge out. On his website My Name Is Not Bob, he tells us he wants poets (and non-poets) to try their hands at remixing the poems in my Solving the World’s Problems collection. Oh, yes, he has a book of poetry newly out. I have followed, as have many of you, Robert for all the years of my blogging life and seen Robert’s poetry in all stages. To read the poems in their final stages is wonderful. The thought of remixing them! Well, I’m a happy puppy.

Is this a super clever marketing strategy? Robert lists three ways to not buy the book — yes, they involve others buying the book. Clever. I’m thinking all of us who know Robert have probably bought the book, or have it on a list to buy. Read his post and if you think the challenge sounds like fun, have at it. If you don’t, you are allowed to buy the book anyway.

Did I mention there is prize money?

2] This may seem an odd link, but I was, and am, captivated by some of the poetry I read on the site Poetry Foundation Ghana. On further investigation, I found essays, Ghanian poets, and poetry galore. On the premise that the more poetry we read the better we will write, add this to your collection. The website has only been going since 2010, so it’s a work in progress.

3] Caslon, Baskerville, Helvetica… these names have graced many a pull down menu, but what do they signify, exactly? Haven’t you wondered how they name fonts?

I have the feeling I have posted this, but cannot find a record of it, just an uneasy niggle. However, it is only five minutes and it’s fun. Head over and watch The History of Typography Told in Five Minutes. Interesting and entertaining.

That’s it. Last week I gave you quite a bit to chew on, so this week is light. Enjoy.

I shall see you tomorrow for the prompt roundup; Tuesday for a list of quotes prompt from… well, that’s for me to know; and, next Thursday for more links.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 12/09/2013 in poetry

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

9 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. georgeplace2013 Debi Swim

13/09/2013 at 7:24 am

Margo, I have a question about wordpress. I have the widget “blogs I follow” up but want to add to it. I can’t figure out how to do that. I can find the widget page but no way to change it.

13/09/2013 at 7:57 am

Debi,
      I do know I have done it. I’m on the way to Birmingham for the day, so if I don’t find it before I leave, I’ll get it to you when we return. We’re on a genealogy hunt.

13/09/2013 at 8:08 am

Here’s the support page but it’s not terribly clear. I looked at the widget. Did you specify particular blogs initially, or just tell the widget how many you wanted?

Later!

• barbara_y

13/09/2013 at 9:04 am

Debi, that widget pulls the blogs you have selected in the WordPress “Reader”. Don’t know how you would select if you’re reading more blogs than you want to include.

• georgeplace2013 Debi Swim

13/09/2013 at 9:44 am

Thanks gals, I finally found the video that showed me how… or rather I stumbled onto it… I had to go to dashboard, links, new, and add it there.

14/09/2013 at 12:10 pm

How funny. I typed out to do that yesterday, then thought, no, she is doing the pictures… Glad you stumbled. Most of my blog learning happened that way.

2. barbara_y

13/09/2013 at 8:24 am

Got my copy of Robert’s book last evening, but haven’t cracked it yet. A couple of mash poems ould be fun.

13/09/2013 at 8:26 am

Harder to do than from a fiction source. Odd. I’ve done centos without a problem. I need to not think poems and just go through underlining.

• barbara_y

13/09/2013 at 8:31 am

Centos don’t really excite me. I think something more like a line-to-line reply. I’ll have to see