Poetics Serendipity

29 Aug

listening to Dumbarton’s Drums sung by the Corries

Hello there, everyone. We’re almost there. You just have to get through a day, or two, and it’s the weekend. We don’t usually do anything particular on Labour Day weekend, but we have close friends in Ohio. Ohio has proved too hard to get to, so far, so a compromise halfway point turns out to be Berea, Kentucky. Berea recently made the list of top 17 most hippy cities in the United States. I can’t wait. Meanwhile, we have links.

1] A brief post: How I Came to Embrace Goodreads by Patrick Ross. I know, two weeks in a row of Patrick seems like too much goodness and I considered adding this post to my list of future stuff, but not a day goes by that someone isn’t now my friend, or following me, on Goodreads, despite the fact that after my initial listing of books, years ago, when it started, I have done absolutely nothing. And still they come. Patrick’s viewpoint gave me pause, so you can read it, too.

2] I think I mentioned The Poetry Circle when it began. I join all the writing networks, in order to see what’s happening. I don’t actually do anything at any of them — no time — but I like to keep abreast of the poetry world and this is one way to do it. When you land on this page, you’ll find a clean, clear listing of the things incorporated in the group, on the left. Check them out if you are looking for a writing group.

3] TED talk [Yay!]: Actually, I’m posting the TED blog post titled, ‘The power of daydreams: 4 studies on the surprising science of mind-wandering‘ but the talk is part of it, so hey! Interesting material on wandering minds and as most of us confess to some degree of it, at least read the post.

4] Debbie Ridpath Ohi time!

Mimi's Book Purge

Mimi’s Book Purge

Used with permission from Debbie Ridpath Ohi at Inkygirl.com.

I will see you tomorrow for the roundup; Tuesday for a borrowed prompt; and Thursday for links and stuff.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 29/08/2013 in poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

8 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. Debi

29/08/2013 at 8:42 am

I love your posts with links and info. Thank you for your time in researching and writing. Your posts have introduced me so many great sites, people and lessons on and about poetry! I am happy, happy that a friend pointed me your way.

29/08/2013 at 8:55 am

Your comment has me smiling. I am glad you found me. Looks like a win-win for both of us. I am enjoying your poetry.

29/08/2013 at 9:18 am

Goodie-good-good-goodness! Gee Margo…it’s always nice to be here, always. Thank you!

A friend just introduced me to a phrase: “joie de vivre ” and this is what I found, “a comprehensive joy, a philosophy of life…a joy that involves one’s whole being.”

I love that…thought I’d share…though you probably already knew this one. ;)

29/08/2013 at 9:28 am

I’m grinning on so many counts, Hannah. I love seeing your name. I love your nice-ness. I love your enthusiasm, even on days when you’d rather eat dirt. Er, yes. I had six years of french :-D, but I like the definitions. I just knew it means a joy in life, so thank you. What you have gives the phrase its own joie.

• Hannah Gosselin

29/08/2013 at 9:52 am

:)!!! You make me so happy.

Dirt, yes…today a panic with the six year old who broke a magnetic necklace last night and didn’t tell me…

Sooo I’m crossing my fingers that the new puppy didn’t eat any and now my boy suddenly has memory loss and can’t remember where he put the rest of the strand that didn’t come off the string…. :/

Yes, dirt. ;)

3. Patrick Ross

29/08/2013 at 11:56 am

Margo, I’ve never had anyone say that heavy doses of me meant too much goodness; I can’t put in print what would normally be said! Thanks for the link. Yes, I was getting traffic before I had done a single thing on the site. I have come around to the idea of it being a great place to engage, kind of like hanging out at an independent bookstore. We’ll see how it plays out.

• Patrick Ross

29/08/2013 at 11:57 am

And just to be meta about it, I just sent you a Goodreads friend request! :)

29/08/2013 at 12:32 pm

Uh huh. And, you have plenty of free time for that! I’ll watch and happily accept your friend request.